• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Noob in Austin, TX

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Schaefer
Hey All-

Another noobie in Austin, TX. I've done a lot of riding on my Funduro over the years, and just moved over to a 2009 KLR. I'd like to start working on technical skills so I can get further of the grid in my trips.

Figure I'll try to make it to Billy's pretty soon here. Nice to get offline and into the real world.

I'd like to learn the following:
GPS use
Electrical trouble shooting
Technical riding skills

What I bring to the table.
Trailer with a ramp that can probably fit 3 bikes in a pinch. Definitely if you put one in the back of the truck.
Fair amount of adventure riding/camping experience/knowledge
Decent wrenching skills.
Wilderness First Responder (a little more extensive training that just firs aid training.)

Thanks,
Frank

Welcome to TWT. You'll find lots of people who can help you with electrical issues and technical riding skills. As far as GPSs go, opinions abound on this site. I personally can make a Garmin Nuvi programmable GPS do anything within its native capabilities, but am totally baffled by most of the PC software used for downloading routes.

I've read about Garmins and a lot of people like them. I feel like I should be able to use my i phone to do a lot of it, but it seems a bit more intricate. Maybe just haven't delved into it enough.

@ j_blankenship- do KLR'ers (does that make sense?) really get grief? Why in the world for? Or is it just smack talking for the fun of it?

Welcome to the site! :wave:

I think KLR riders get teased rather than get grief ;-) There are tons of current and former KLR riders on TWT :thumb:

Aloha and welcome from Lampasas just up the road from you. If you like riding and motorcycle camping you are at the right place. We have several ride to eats every month. A pie run coming up at the end of this month if you can attend. Every month there are meet and greets and other local rides available for you to join in on. Plenty of KLRs all over TWT some even run.:rofl: Just kidding saw one of the neatest ones on a camp out in Meridian last weekend. What did you do with the Funduro? Check out the upcoming ride section in the forum area for all the Texas rides. Don't forget to post a picture of your ride. KP

Good ta meet you at lunch today! Stop back by any time...

Hey Jeff-

Nice to meet you as well. Good group of guys and lots of info. I'll see y'all around.
Thanks!
F

It was good to meet you on Thursday, Frank.

On TWT we tease: everyone.

Our little group sometimes does road trips. For instance a small group of us took 3 days last January to ride out to the Junction area (where we stayed in a motel) and rode around then back to Austin. I logged in 785 miles in those 3 days on my DR650. Camping was an option just was pretty chilly and some of us (me included) aren't set up with the proper camping gear just yet.

There's nothing wrong with your KLR. Lots of guys enjoy their almost 500lbs of *cough* dual sport ability. :-P Kidding aside they're very capable with the right rider on the saddle, just ask Chiricahua. He would have been at Ken's on Thursday but he was busy sleeping instead.

I may not be there next Thursday as hopefully will be moving to a new (to us) house.

Welcome!:rider:

All of us that ride big girls get grief from the guys riding the skinny chicks. I like my big girl for the comfort she provides on the long runs and I don't have space for a bunch of bikes.

This is a great site with a great group of friendly folks.

Back