• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New E. Austin member, un-retiring rider

Reaction score
Hi TWT,

I started riding on an EX500 in NYC in 2006, then graduated to an F800ST when I first moved to Austin in 2012. Business and life conspired to make me trade it in for a car but I'm now in a position to get back into riding and have my sights on a Triumph Street Twin though I've always had a soft spot for the V-Strom as well. I work in tech and am a stage actor locally and also a private pilot but haven't flown since coming down here. I'm a casual rider squarely in the 'boring' camp when it comes to flying down the twisties.

Still a little early in the process and also would love some recommendations on good Texas weather gear since I sold most of my New England gear when I moved down here. Either mesh or leather, anything that can breathe can that doesn't scream 'space cadet.'

Looking forward to getting back on two wheels!

Welcome to the forum.
Mesh is great for riding in 100F degree weather, sure, but I only invested in a cheap Bilt jacket there, knowing it won't see much use over the year)
I'm quite comfortable in my Tourmaster Transition 4 jacket when moving with the vents open up to 90F is no problem and have been ok up to 96F, so I consider that a 3/4 year jacket. And it keeps me dry when it rains. (On those days it doesn't rain on way to work but surely does on way home)
Then again, I don't ride a street twin (almost did, they are gorgeous) but a F700GS, not sure if you care about "matching"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm honest I prefer to get out of TX entirely come August and ride as little as possible but I did have one of those overlays you soak in water for 20 minutes and then wear -- actually worked pretty well and cost all of $30 but you had to be OK with arriving damp.

A 3/4 year jacket that keeps the rain out is probably the smarter choice!

Welcome to the site! :wave:

:tab Apparently, I don't look like a space cadet. I have had a LOT of people ask me if I am a fire man :lol2: I wear KLIM Badland Pro jacket and pants. They are comfy from 28 F to about 105 F. Of course, when it is really hot, nothing is going to make you not hot, especially when stopped. However, I prefer not to wear mesh once it starts getting above 95 F. I find I am actually more comfortable with vented gear that keeps the sun off my skin but still flows air. It's all Gore-Tex, so when the rain starts I just zip the vents closed and stay dry. It breathes well so I don't feel like I am in a sauna while it is raining. It's not cheap though... It looks bulky but doesn't feel bulky when I am wearing it.

:tab For cruising around town, you might be more interested in something like the Kevlar lined jeans with a vented leather jacket.

Last edited:
Back