• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

GLFLyer's Introduction - DFW (PICS!) ;)

Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Last Name
Moyer
So, hey... a buddy of mine (2WheelNut) turned me on to this forum and I thought I'd go ahead and post up an intro. Kinda long, but at least it has pics!

Been riding motorcycles since I was 6 and I've been a wingnut since I was 17 when I used to ride my dad's GL1100 to school. Not many kids rode a custom gold-painted bike, fully chromed with 54 lights and a stereo system on it to school... but, I did. Well, I did up until I flipped it on it's side and slid it into an intersection due the leaving the kickstand down as I left the gas-station, thus effectively destroying my Dad's pride and joy.

(Yes, that's me at the ripe old age of 14, about to take a trip with Dad to Branson).
17913248442_233a9275ef_z.jpg

My dad typically took a very "active" roll in my punishments when I did something wrong, so on this day, I felt my life was over. However, when I called him up to tell him what happened, his only words to me were: "Are you OK son? Good, that's all that matters.".

Those words hurt more than the belt... as I wasn't expecting that sort of kindness. Adding insult to injury, he never got another bike after that.

I carried that guilt inside of me for 18 years, when I finally bought him a really nice 1985 GL1200 Limited (appropriately chromed and lighted). I had always remembered him saying how much he liked them when I was growing up... and when he retired, I couldn't think of a better gift than that.

18 years of guilt washed away when I rode up to his house on the Limited and tossed him the keys. He had a huge smile on his face as he started it up then whipped around the block several times. It was the first time he had ridden a motorcycle since I had destroyed his bike 18 years prior.

14963880393_13a690d28f_z.jpg

In college I had a GL500 SilverWing that got me through those years, and I experienced my first "IronButt" on her when I drove her non-stop from Lubbock, TX to Grand Rapids, Michigan to see my folks for Spring Break. Lots of memories on that bike... I even taught my girlfriend (now my wife) how to ride on that bike. After college I traded it in on a new 1991 Jeep Cherokee that I still own today.

I rode mostly dirt bikes from then on up until several years ago when I found a great deal on a 1988 GL1500, with 140,000 miles, in Florida. I bought it sight unseen and my Dad (who was wintering in Florida) picked it up and rode it to DFW for me. I had since put many more thousands of miles on her, and affectionately named her the "Gray Ghost".

9941098633_e1b4a2270f_z.jpg

My dad's ride from Florida to Texas renewed an interest in him to do some more riding. As a result, him and I started coordinating a yearly family ride in Gatlinburg. Uncles, Aunt's, Cousins, Brother's, Sisters, and great friends from all compass points meet up in Gatlinburg each year in the fall for an awesome time on two wheels. We just had our 10th year of our Gatlinburg Family and Friends ride last October. Here's a pic from our 2nd ride in 2009:

27950842517_260e20f587_z.jpg

Despite the rocky times my dad and I had while I was growing up (typical teenage rebellion), I'm now incredibly blessed to have him as a best friend and a great riding partner.

Unfortunately... or "fortunately" depending on your point of view... a really good friend of mine let me ride his 2008 GL1800 one year in Gatlinburg... and that was all she wrote. I was very content with my old Gray Ghost up until that moment. The kicker was the wife talking to me on the headset saying... "Ya know... we can afford an 1800 if you want one."

Fast forward to about a month and a half later when I found another craigslist deal in Florida on an '06 Titanium. I flew out there and rode 17 hours straight back to DFW on her.

32912709746_95860c6995_z.jpg

I've since sold that one and bought a 2014, affectionately named "Ol' Blue":

23814516575_794e31cee1_z.jpg

I've also ridden for years on Dirt before I started touring, in fact I still own my 2000 YZF426 and just recently gave her a make-over:

42003791134_5977916ba2_z.jpg

OK... the other type of riding I've done for the past several years is Track Riding/Racing. I'm also a member of the CMRA and hear's my stead:

34146632246_b701428cf9_z.jpg

Finally, here's my stable as of last spring:

33365040024_036b0981e0_z.jpg

Soooo... I like to ride. But, being a man of a "certain age" with 3 young girls at home, it doesn't happen as often as I'd like. But... maybe... that will change. ;)

Thanks for humoring me everyone.

Ride safe!

Bob

Last edited:
Great intro! And how cool is it that you can share your love of riding with your dad, wife, and extended family. Welcome to twtex and see you down the road!

And how cool is it that you can share your love of riding with your dad, wife, and extended family.

...and my 16 year old daughter too. Just got her MC license last year. Probably the only girl in her school with a MC license. ;)

35398459260_d0f369e01c_z.jpg

THAT is how you do an introduction. Good stuff and great bikes you have there. Love the stories.

7hA7jfr.jpg

Holy cow your daughter and my middle son (far left) could be twins. He's also 16 and working on getting his MC license. I'm making him wait until 17 to get a little real world driving experience first.

Holy cow your daughter and my middle son (far left) could be twins. He's also 16 and working on getting his MC license. I'm making him wait until 17 to get a little real world driving experience first.
Nice family you got there!

I had my daughter riding all around when she turned 15. In Texas, you can have a moped license at 15, so she got some decent experience riding around and avoiding cagers for a year before she got here full MC license. ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tTQ0cZPYtI"]A new scoot! - YouTube[/ame]

Hoping that made her a better driver too. :)

Nice family you got there!

I had my daughter riding all around when she turned 15. In Texas, you can have a moped license at 15, so she got some decent experience riding around and avoiding cagers for a year before she got here full MC license. ;)

A new scoot! - YouTube

Hoping that made her a better driver too. :)
Yours too. All girls?

That girl was stoked! Very cool dad move with that scooter surprise.

:welcome: & enjoy! Very nice intro, hope the family doesn't pull all the time from ridin' but life does seem to have its twists & turns :)

I marked off a bucket-list item last summer ... riding with my daughter.

You are a lucky man. Enjoy your father's day.

I marked off a bucket-list item last summer ... riding with my daughter.

You are a lucky man. Enjoy your father's day.

Thanks Mitch... when she's not acting like me when I was her age, I really do feel lucky. ;)

Seriously though... thank you sir, and that's awesome that you got to ride with her. Was it something local, or did you guys do a road trip somewhere?

She lives in Seattle.
We flew up and I rented a bike and she rode her TU250.
Went to Suchomy Falls ...

She lives in Seattle.
We flew up and I rented a bike and she rode her TU250.
Went to Suchomy Falls ...

That's really awesome! I love the Pacific Northwest, and that ride with her sounds awesome. Those falls are nice too:

Snoqualmie Falls
snoqualmie-falls-and-seattle-winery-tour-seattle-410813-raw.jpg

I don't know...might not fit in ;)

:welcome:

Now how bout the " flyer " explanation ? Maybe save that one for next week's episode :mrgreen:

I don't know...might not fit in ;)

Ha! Tough crowd... but I'm trying! ;)

Now how bout the " flyer " explanation ? Maybe save that one for next week's episode :mrgreen:

Well... that's a whole other "forum". I just brought my name over here for consistency.

GL = the Goldwing designation: GL1200/GL1500/GL1800, etc.
Flyer = Flyer... I fly. ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUWhjjfOFec"]Independence Day - I can fly, I'm Pilot.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

My Avatar should be a hint too, but here's my "other" stead:

Taken at sunset: Terminal B DFW
32358461895_606c8c5739_z.jpg

29118190915_b6fc221481_z.jpg

Last edited:
HeyBob welcome over to the other side :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a great intro and video. Geez, even the dog has red hair. :rofl: If 2WheelNut vouches for you, you come highly recommended.

HeyBob welcome over to the other side :)
Thanks Kevin! Nice to see you over here too... :chug:

What a great intro and video. Geez, even the dog has red hair. :rofl: If 2WheelNut vouches for you, you come highly recommended.
Thanks MacDaddy... believe it or not, 2WheelNut and I have been riding together for the past 33 years. We both had Yamaha QT50's (Yamahopper's) when we were 15 years old and we tore up Arlington on 2 wheels at 35mph! :flip:

img_sTIOBgKjrQ.jpg

Welcome to TWT. Nice group of bikes in the pics. Do you camp off the wing? We do that here every so often. KP

Welcome. You fly for AAL?

Kind of... At the time that pic was taken, I was flying under the American tail as American Eagle. I fly for a Regional carrier and we are basically sub-contractors for the main airlines to fly their shorter regional routes. If you've flown out of DFW, chances are you've been on one of our flights and thought it was just a plane ol' American flight. I'm now flying for United.

Welcome to TWT. Nice group of bikes in the pics. Do you camp off the wing? We do that here every so often. KP
Thanks! Friendly group so far... 2WheelNut was really wrong about you guys. ;)

I have camped in the past... been a while, and haven't taken the new girl out yet on a camping trip. Hate Texas summers, so unless it's camping in cool Colorado, I don't plan on it unless it's spring or fall here. :)

Me and 2WheelNut camping near Leadville, CO, a few years ago:

42838188281_d7a3636d39.jpg

42838194301_f55f634251.jpg

42838194681_4eeb143f9d.jpg

2WheelNut, enjoying a tasty beverage and sporting the requisite flip flops. :)
42838195391_510453b620.jpg

Last edited:
Back