TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
E.Marquez
Forum Supporter

Just a PSA for those that are home mechanics

When youíre trying to diagnose a problem on your car truck or motorcycle keep in mind just because itís a new part doesnít mean it isnít broke or miss assembled

Yesterday I had a factory new sealed in boxed carburetor part that was Mis-assembled at the factory

A quick look at it before install and appeared to be the correct part for the application I was working on.

after assembly and reinstalling the carburetor there was a throttle issue I couldnít attribute to just a dirty carburetor which is why the bike came in

Switching to another carburetor known to be good other than this one part I move the new part to that second carburetor and installed it .... and the issue followed

Carb back apart again and a close inspection of the New vacuum valve assembly and it was obvious what it happened

A spring that was supposed to be underneath the needle had been assembled on top of the needle pushing it down in the assembly instead of lifting it under spring tension, making the fuel needle about 5 mm to long it still fit just fine in the carb body but It completely messed up the air fuel and operation of the vacuum valve

New parts may be new but theyíre not necessarily correct working or not broken until confirmed
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #2
Jcstratt

Re: Just a PSA for those that are home mechanics

Words of wisdom right there!

I've been an aircraft mechanic for over 30 years and I can't count the number of times a replacement part turned out to be defective. Sometimes you end up with a whole new symtpom, but many times you have the exact same symptom you did before. Many hours can be spent chasing a ghost when your first call was right and you simply refuse to believe that same part is defective. Eventually you learn!
Jcstratt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #3
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcstratt View Post
Words of wisdom right there!

I've been an aircraft mechanic for over 30 years and I can't count the number of times a replacement part turned out to be defective. Sometimes you end up with a whole new symtpom, but many times you have the exact same symptom you did before. Many hours can be spent chasing a ghost when your first call was right and you simply refuse to believe that same part is defective. Eventually you learn!

BTDT. I have wasted time, doubted myself and lost sleep over issues like these. Not just on airplanes either. I went through 5 FWD axles to get 2 good ones on a Toyota. I spent the better part of a day unnecessarily troubleshooting an electrical problem because the rebuilt windshield wiper motor was doing the exact same thing as the old one etc.
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
focus frenzy

I really love it at work when I get a bizarre illogical fault that eventually is traced to some moron trying to fix a standard simple fault and hooking up the air lines/ wiring all wrong.