• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1983(maybe) honda xl350

Reaction score
anyone still have one of these or had one? What do you think about it?

My dad is the original owner of one but hasnt cranked it since the 90s I'm sure....I'm tempted to take it off his hands and get it running....apparently the bearings are shot. Thats all I know

I bought a 74 model back in 98, blue silver, It ran as good as anything similar to it such as mid 90s DR350 If you can compare the two motor wise, I dont know the differences between the 74 and the 83 XL but it ran strong and smooth, had twin shocks and about 5" of fork travel, It would not pull the front end up no matter what. If you have one {the 83} that runs good, They make great trail bikes and a good bike for somone to learn on. SZ.

Cool bike, nice size. I rode one once, it had good power compared to my 83 XL600. Not sure about parts availability if you need major components. Leone's cycle in Beaumont (former Honda dealer) may still have parts on the shelf, it might be worth a try. If I recall, Honda only sold them in the US for a few years, 83 might have been the last year, not sure. You might look around on thumpertalk too.

Cool bike, nice size. I rode one once, it had good power compared to my 83 XL600. Not sure about parts availability if you need major components. Leone's cycle in Beaumont (former Honda dealer) may still have parts on the shelf, it might be worth a try. If I recall, Honda only sold them in the US for a few years, 83 might have been the last year, not sure. You might look around on thumpertalk too.

leons isnt closed down? I thought they emptied out that place?

he moved across the street, looks like he still has a bunch of stuff. I think they are into custom bikes. I haven't been in the new location.

I bought a 74 model back in 98, blue silver, It ran as good as anything simalar to it such as mid 90s DR350 If you can compare the two motor wise, I dont know the differences between the 74 and the 83 XL but it ran strong and smooth, had twin shocks and about 5" of fork travel, It would not pull the front end up no matter what. If you have one {the 83} that runs good, They make great trail bikes and a good bike for somone to learn on. SZ.

no twin shocks for sure.

with the bike being this age and sittin up this long...would the engine need to be rebuilt?

Maybe, if it was stored correclty, it'd be okay, but most aren't and you end up doing a new top end or just live with it smoking a little.

<---------- 78 XL125 and I loved it. We also had a XL500, not sure the year but probably a 80 or so. Great bikes, wish I still had it.

I would clean the carb/carbs, air filter, new oil and plug, flush out the tank, see if it has spark and try to start it and go from there. SZ.

I'm not sure about the differences between the '83 "L" and the '83 "R" other than the street legal aspects but I raced an XR350R( which I still own by the way:mrgreen: ) in the Texas Harescramble Circuit Open Class all through the '80s and it's still a great bike. The dual carbs were innovative and they worked fine BUT they were a complete pain in the a%& to work on. It's an all day job to rejet them and if you don't get it right.....well plan on a whole nother day(I can rejet my XR440 in 5mins!!:nana: ). It's a tough, fast bike though!
I say go for the L! It's definitely a collectible!
Check out this old pic.. Me and my '83 25 YEARS AGO!!!:eek2:
:lol2: :lol2:

rich3.jpg

Back