• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How to sync Google Maps with my Droid?

Reaction score
I have a Droid I've been using for a few weeks and this weekend will be my first use of its GPS Navigation app. I've got the route planned and mapped with Google Maps, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to sync it with my phone. I was assuming since it is a Google phone, Google App and Google Maps would all interact with each other.

Just be forewarned, if you lose cell service say bye bye to Navigation. I'm not saying it's not a good (I have an EVO and love the Nav feature) but just don't depend on it if you are going off the beaten path where there might be no cell signal.

As for syncing, I'd love to hear how to do it as well. I haven't even tried playing with that feature yet.

I seldom use the Nav app, but I do use the google map app. You can download that if you don't have it yet, then download the google MyMaps app. That will integrate your browser created maps as a layer you can load in the google maps app. I just don't know if you can see them in the Nav app though. I'll try in a couple of minutes.

Okay, cool. You can't access your google maps routes from the nav app, but from the google maps app you can select one of them, click the navigate option and it will launch the Nav app with the route.

So the full steps are to install google map app and google MyMaps app. Then in the google maps app, select layers, More Layers button, My Maps, which will let you select any routes/maps you created in google. This adds it as a new layer. Then back to layers, select that layer and click navigate.

That's pretty close to full instructions.

Okay, cool. You can't access your google maps routes from the nav app, but from the google maps app you can select one of them, click the navigate option and it will launch the Nav app with the route.

So the full steps are to install google map app and google MyMaps app. Then in the google maps app, select layers, More Layers button, My Maps, which will let you select any routes/maps you created in google. This adds it as a new layer. Then back to layers, select that layer and click navigate.

That will only let your view you map and route. No Navigation.

I hope I'm wrong.

On my phone you are wrong. It brings up a route on the display and starts to give me verbal directions. I have noticed that not all andriod phones are exactly the same though. Samsung Moment with andriod 2.0.

Thanks WoodButcher, I will try that. FYI, I will not be relying on voice directions, I just want to see my position on the map. I'll be in parts of Oklahoma I've never been in.

Oh, then just use the google maps app with the gps turned on. You don't need the Nav app for that. You will need a data signal for maps though. Unless somebody knows of a way to cache some of that on the phone.

Well I figured out where the MyMaps section was on the Maps app. I have my overlay so I think I'm good to go. Now, I'm off to the auto parts store for a cig lighter adaptor so I can charge my phone this weekend.

Just be forewarned, if you lose cell service say bye bye to Navigation. I'm not saying it's not a good (I have an EVO and love the Nav feature) but just don't depend on it if you are going off the beaten path where there might be no cell signal.

As for syncing, I'd love to hear how to do it as well. I haven't even tried playing with that feature yet.
My phone (Moto Droid) dropped service while using the Nav app in Arkansas this summer.
It kept routing, but wasn't able to display POIs or make any changes to the route.
Looks like it loads the route, but can't update anything while off of data service.

My phone (Moto Droid) dropped service while using the Nav app in Arkansas this summer.
It kept routing, but wasn't able to display POIs or make any changes to the route.
Looks like it loads the route, but can't update anything while off of data service.

My tmobile "slide" is the same way.

Warning: googlemap is just as likely to guide you in a circle as a garmin.:trust:

On my phone you are wrong. It brings up a route on the display and starts to give me verbal directions. I have noticed that not all andriod phones are exactly the same though. Samsung Moment with andriod 2.0.
You can view your route from the mymap layer, but when you click "Navigate", it will create a route, just not the one that you created. It will take the best route.

Can someone else confirm that they are able to follow the custom route that they created?

Nexus One with CM6 Froyo

Hmm, mine showed a red line that took me to the closest part of my planned route, then the line turned green and it had me following my planned route.

CoPilot Live let's you save maps to your SD card. No data connection required. I have not used it, but I have heard good reviews. $19.99 in the market.
search%3Fq%3Dpname:com.alk.copilot.marketplace.na.png

Back