• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nacogdoches/Davy Crockett Nat'l Forest , 4/4-4/5 ?

Reaction score
First Name
John
Last Name
Murphy
My daughter is a student at SFA in Nacogdoches. She is not lic'd to ride street, but she has a lot of off-road riding experience. I'm heading there this weekend, and bringing the fun! She'll be on a CRF 230. I'll be on a KLR 650.

I'm looking for some dirt roads or Fire roads to ride. Does any one have any experience riding off-road in the area? Maybe in or around the Nacogdoches area, or the Davy Crockett National Forest Area?

I have seen a a lot of dirt/ fire/ logging roads in the area, that look fun.

OR, instead of dual-sport, I could bring my MX bikes and we could both do more 'aggressive' off-road/ trail riding, too.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks! :rider:

Last edited:
I found this off-road ATV park in Jacksonville, 50 miles north of Nacogdoches.

http://www.riverrunpark.com/

Has anyone been there?

John, I just moved to austin from that area. River run is great for motorcycles if it hasn't rained in a few weeks. Very wide trails through the woods(for the atv's). Really allow you to pick up some speed. Some good hill climbs too. If it has rained it's a big goopy rutted mess. Mud creek is another good place too. I believe Shiloh ridge has closed, but it was no fun on a motorcycle. The first two are great if it has not RAINED!!! Stay away if it's rained out there and hit the fire roads

So much of that area is privately owned - either by folks, clubs or timber companies. Finding something for the smaller bikes pretty much takes "knowing somebody" or being a member at something like CycleLand. But, there are lots of shaded dirt roads all over leading to some really remote areas. The roads northeast of town have seen a LOT of oilfield development in the past few years. Not much to see there and way too many trucks. Head south toward the Angelina bottom... should be good stuff to explore.

Thanks, to both of you!

Based on the pics on their website, the ATV place looks like MUD heaven when there is rain. And, tomorrow is 80% chance of rain (and Sat only 20%). So, I'll skip the ATV place for sure.

Thanks RG. I'll look into places south.

Welcome to Central TX, TX JoePilot! You did you get a job in the area, right? Flying for Travis Co?

Yes sir, and loving it. Also all my insurance except my rental house is now insured through Allstate.

Try to get guest ride at Cycleland, some of best riding in state. Close to Lake Nacogdoches. Bob McKnight is manager, can't remember name of his insurance company. Property has 60 miles of single track.

Yes sir, and loving it. Also all my insurance except my rental house is now insured through Allstate.

Yes, and, thank you for being a new client. And we still have not met. But, we will soon and lunch is on me. :eat:

I should have mentioned in my orig post. One time about 1 or 2 years ago, I was driving thru the Davy Crockett Nat'l Forest on the highway in my truck. I noticed a few dirt roads. I drove down one about a half mile. The road appeared to be a service road. I would have loved to have a bike and done some exploring. :rider:

Another time I drove up from Nac to Rusk. About 20 or 30 miles N of Nac I saw a dirt road. It was an unpaved CR to that lead to several residences. I drove about a mile, but there had been a lot of rain and I was at risk of getting stuck. So, I did not go far.

But these 2 excursions have lead me to want to explore more. With the forest and the trees it's a beautiful area.

I'm leaving Austin at noon with 3 bikes. My KLR, a 2014 CRFL 250, and a 2003 CRF 230.

80% chance of rain in the Nac area today and Sunday. 20% chance Sat. Mostly sunny. :sun:

I'll post my results next week.

Good luck and have fun. I need to stop by your office. You are not far from my house. I would like to meet you and Zack.

We used to dual sport from Maydelle to the south. We would find a dirt road and ride until we hit pavement. Pull out our phones and see where we were, then hit another dirt road. There's a lot around the Neches river.

Back