• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Place to Park Around SHNF

hoost

Reaction score
Hi all,
A buddy and I are planning to ride some forest/dirt roads tomorrow morning in and around SHNF. We plan to trailer our bikes (WR250R and KLX250S) up so as to avoid wrestling Houston traffic on 250's.

I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a good parking place where I can leave the truck/trailer that will facilitate good access to the dirt roads.

Also, if anyone has any recommendation on routes, I'd appreciate advice there, too. I have the gpx for the Cheeseburger loop, so that might be something we try out.

Thanks,
hoost

I park at the ranger station when riding a plated bike, on FM1375 about 2 miles from I-45. Plenty of asphalt parking lot. I don't think it's a problem parking there, I've seen the rangers when I'm there with no comment. 1/2 mile down hang a right on to forest service roads!!!! This is also part of the cheeseburger loop.

I read that the trails are closed due to trees falling... Might want to call first.

You are retired now Rob, you should go ride with them :-P

I won't be able to or I'd go with them and show them around.

They might be going earlier than me, I'm going out around noon with rsquared. But they are welcomed to join.

Thanks everyone. Yes, we plan to ride roads this go-round. We will try to hit the trails whenever they reopen. I'll plan on parking at the ranger station, then. Should set us up perfectly. Our plan is to leave west houston around 730-800 which should put us up there around 845-915. If anyone wants to join and show us around, thatd be great. If not, we'll just do some exploring. Probably won't ride past about 1 or 2 pm as we both have commitments in the afternoon. Thanks for the feedback!

Just a heads up, don't try the cheeseburger loop if on time restraints, you won't be back by 1.

Thanks, I didn't plan on going for the whole thing. Maybe an out and back, or maybe just sticking in the forest.

We had a good ride yesterday, running part of the cheeseburger loop and a few of the offshoot dead end forest roads just to see what they looked like.

From what we could see peeking into the multi-use trails, it looked like either puddles of water or loads of downed trees. On the northwest side, it looked like several of the trail/road crossings had multiple consecutive downed trees as far in as we could see. I should have taken some photos, but didn't think of it until I got back home. Its going to take a lot of work to get them back into shape.

I will keep an eye out for work days posted, and try to get up and help out if possible.

Back