• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pagosa Springs

JTS

Reaction score
I'm headed to Pagosa Springs Saturday with the family and taking my Can-am Defender, KTM 500exc, 1190R and my daughters klx 140. I have never ridden on public land in Colorado. I looked online and I see that I need to purchase an OHV sticker for the bikes. Do I need to take the titles for the bikes or any kind of proof of ownership, or is it mainly just pay a fee?

Any riding tips for that area?

If the bike has a license plate you do not need an OHV sticker.
Just pay for the sticker nothing else needed.
I have not ridden that area only the Silverton area.
Vehicles without license plates have to be trailered on regular roads to the trail head.
Have fun.

If the bike has a license plate you do not need an OHV sticker.
Just pay for the sticker nothing else needed.
I have not ridden that area only the Silverton area.
Vehicles without license plates have to be trailered on regular roads to the trail head.
Have fun.

Thanks Danny, my 1190 and 500 are street legal. I will need stickers for the klx and Can-Am.

Some towns allow unlicensed vehicles to drive/ride thru town to get to the trail head.
Check this out and make sure to understand which streets exactly you can use or you can get a ticket. It happened to a guy in our group in Silverton. The main drag is OK but he continued on out past the city and one block later got two tickets. No license plate, no insurance and could have gotten more tickets he told me but the cop was lenient.

Bought mine at a dealer , only paperwork you need is green paper or plastic I guess .

Attachments

• Colorado OHV requirements.pdf
    418.3 KB · Views: 754
Re: Pagosa Springs- CHA-CHING WELCOME TO CO.

OHV-Permit_1167952902.jpg

according to what I've read - all vehicles (licensed or not) require the CO OHV sticker for recreational trails.

WOW they must have changed it, Summer before last it was not required.
Thanks for the info as I am going again in July, I will be sure to get one.

Check your maps to see what kinds of roads you'll be able to ride. The Pagosa area is pretty much surrounded by wilderness. What isn't wilderness is public roads. Unless you find some trails or a designated ohv park, license plate may be all you need.

WOW they must have changed it, Summer before last it was not required.
Thanks for the info as I am going again in July, I will be sure to get one.

News to me also as I've never been aware or got one in the past. Just to prevent any possible hassle or unplanned trip into a town to purchase one I went online and ordered one to be mailed to me in advance. For the thousands of miles of trails in CO $25 is a bargain.

When I was there a sticker was required even if you were plated. They had reciprocy with the texas sticker then, you may not need one if you already have the TX sticker.

When I was there a sticker was required even if you were plated. They had reciprocy with the texas sticker then, you may not need one if you already have the TX sticker.
CO website states no reciprocity with any other state's OHV program/sticker.

_

I just became aware of it last year and there are two designated orv areas within bike distance of where I camp , one less than a mile and the other about 15 miles of pavement but I can get there with no pavement and I'm street legal .

There is much ambiguity and misinformation regarding this issue. The grey area arises from which type of trail or road you are traversing. Trails under 50" wide require a off highway permit, wider does not. That being said, many FS ranger have it wrong themselves. Go to any Wal-Mart, pay the $25, which supports trail conservation, and avoid any hassle.

We were stopped in a park about 5 years ago and checked. He stated because we were all plated we didn't need them. It was on a two track road, but we were on single track that earlier day and commuting between ST trails. The ranger was on an ATV. Even though I was plated and legal I personally bought the sticker as the money helps maintain the trail I was using. Also, a little fun fact. If you need search and rescue for any reason and you don't have a sticker or at least a fishing license they will charge for the services and my understanding is its not cheap. The sticker price covers that and at 25 or 30 bucks its not terribly expensive anyway.

I apply heat later and stick them on my metal chemical cabinet in the garage along with racing number stuff and other stickers. I have TX ones and all kinds of odd things on it. I usually remember some story or fun thing from most of them.

Last edited:
I'm headed to Pagosa Springs Saturday with the family and taking my Can-am Defender, KTM 500exc, 1190R and my daughters klx 140. I have never ridden on public land in Colorado. I looked online and I see that I need to purchase an OHV sticker for the bikes. Do I need to take the titles for the bikes or any kind of proof of ownership, or is it mainly just pay a fee?

Any riding tips for that area?

FYI - San Juan Forest around Pagosa Springs is closed to public access as of 6/12/18 due to fire hazarad - see link to Durango Herald article
https://durangoherald.com/articles/...-san-juan-national-forest-for-first-time-ever
& attached map showing closed area.

Attachments

• San Juan Forest Closure 6-11-18.jpg
    San Juan Forest Closure 6-11-18.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 138
Apparently there is a huge fire. A friend posted up a picture going to his cabin. It was pretty eerie looking and had a smokey haze. His cabin is near the Rio Grande reservoir.

We got here Saturday and got a couple days in riding in the national forest. Left some orange paint on the rocks.

26ebe8005d564f79da30848efb26ba20.jpg

Back