• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Teenager drivers ed (for car, not bike)

Reaction score
First Name
Nolan
So my daughter just turned 15, and need to get going on a drivers ed class. :eek2:

She is OK with me teaching her the driving portion (she has driven with me on country roads in the Navasota area), so I am looking at parent taught driver education (PTDE) courses online for her.
I have already sent my stuff to the state to be her driving her driving instructor.

Anyone have a recommendation for an online PTDE course? I have seen a bunch online, not sure what if any real difference besides price that I can see.
They all seem to include the same stuff, just a matter of how easy the online course is to navigate and how well it actually teaches stuff.

Looking at Driversed.com ($70 this weekend, normally $100), aceable.com ($75 this weekend, normally $100), and Texasdrivingschool.com ($75 regular price).

Aceable seems to be in the top 3 in all the online reviews I have seen, so I am leaning toward that one, unless somebody has personal experience with another site (Driversed.com is also highly rated).

And just FYI, wife is totally against her getting a bike, she won't even let me take her on rides outside the neighborhood, although I have debated just getting us enrolled in a MSF course. That will be a later discussion in a year or so.

Last edited:
Not what you asked for, but I highly recommend SKILLS

https://www.skillsdriving.com/shop

I instructed early on and it was an amazing experience for each student.
It's all hands on in a controlled environment.

Learn what a skid feels like and practice car control.
Feel ABS and traction control effects.
Object lessons in safe following distances, distracted driving and impaired driving.

Looks interesting Mitch, something to look into once she has her license (but more local than DFW area, that is a 4 hr drive each way).

Sorry ... didn't even look at your location.

Good luck.
I used to own teenagers.
I wouldn't trade places.

We are using aceable with our daughter right now. I’m pretty happy with it. We used something else for my son 4 years ago and it wasn’t as good as this program. Can’t remember the name of the program.

Our daughter took the online permit test at home, passed first time. We went to DPS, got her picture taken, paid $16.00 and now we are driving. It was super easy. All the directions in what to bring, etc. was very clear.

Hope this helps.

We are using aceable with our daughter right now. I’m pretty happy with it. We used something else for my son 4 years ago and it wasn’t as good as this program. Can’t remember the name of the program.

Our daughter took the online permit test at home, passed first time. We went to DPS, got her picture taken, paid $16.00 and now we are driving. It was super easy. All the directions in what to bring, etc. was very clear.

Hope this helps.

It does. Glad to hear some real world experience with it.

We did Aceable.
She did the hours to get her permit after they sent the certificate.

We drove and she continued the rest of the lessons and she got her license this summer no problem and has been driving to school since fall.

Make sure she doesn't do more than daily allotment, the software doesn't stop them.

Other than that the course worked well.

Biggest surprise for me was that you can't walk in and wait for a test, you have to schedule it online and in summer none were available for weeks in San Antonio so keep checking on that, we drove quite a distance to do "third party testing" at a driving school (which qualify are listed online) where they seal the driving test result and you drive to DPS with it, otherwise we Wouldn't have found an appointment before school restarted.

Side note, I was mad that my daughter took forever to get her proof of enrollment from school, lucky though, it was only valid for the entire summer break because she got it in the last days before the break.

Aceable was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, signed up with Aceable.com.

Wish one of you guys had shared a signup link, you could have gotten $10 out of it.

Now just waiting on my packet from DPS. I did not realize I could request it online, so I had mailed it in last week.

I'm getting ready to start my son. Want to share the link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem.

Just make sure you order the parent packet online. I did not realize there was an online option (takes < 48 hours), so I mailed mine in, takes almost 3 weeks that way, but is the same price.

So my daughter just turned 15, and need to get going on a drivers ed class. :eek2:

And just FYI, wife is totally against her getting a bike, she won't even let me take her on rides outside the neighborhood, although I have debated just getting us enrolled in a MSF course. That will be a later discussion in a year or so.

I am in a similar situation. My daughter is 15 and I am teaching her to drive. She completed all 32 hours of online training with National Driver Training Institute, with no issues. I think all these online driving schools are about the same. The reason she completed all 32 hours instead of just 6 for her permit is that she needs them for her motorcycle license. My wife is not opposed to my daughter getting her motorcycle license at 15. She'll need to pass a test with the DMV, as the MSF course is a not a substitute for the state exam for minors. My boy got his motorcycle license at 15, and I think it's rare for young teenagers to be allowed to do so by their parents. Now that he is 16 and has a car, he doesn't touch his motorcycle unless I invite him to breakfast on a Sun morning. So one argument is that getting a motorcycle license doesn't mean they'll want to ride a motorcycle... it's just something that enables them to do it when if/when they want to.

Once the weather gets better my girl will practice basic motorcycle riding skills with me and take the MSF course as well, which is a requirement. Hope she gets her motorcycle license no later than 16 - I expect her to drive a car over riding a motorcycle most of the time.

Last edited:
Back