• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Honda ST1300 or Yamaha FJR 1300

jbh said:
My Wee Strom has 100 watts, just as a comparison. Makes the difference between the two look pretty small now.

yeah... 380 watts minus the load of around 230 doesn't leave you much ;-) But every watt counts when you start adding farkles, mainly aux lights and heated stuff :trust:

mjacks said:
Look out for the ticking FJR.

Did Yamaha ever find a permanent solution to the valve guide problem (ticking)? I know this was a big deal in the first few years. Haven't kept up with developments since. The FJR was a serious contender when I was considering replacing my ST a few years back but when it came out that the engine valve guides had become a problem that Yamaha was apparently denying, I just bought another ST. Too bad because the FJR is a very good looking bike.

IMHO Alert

If you grew up on dirtbikes and/or have spent most of your time on sport bikes, the forward control position will always feel awkward. At least for me. I can ride a cruiser with forward controls, but it's unnatural and I never really feel like I control the bike as I can't use my feet to wieght the pegs.

Even what Harley calls "mids" (which I have on the 1200R) are a bit too far forward for my taste. One of my moto-fantasies is to go to chopper place and actually have them adapt forward controls to my passenger pegs, and stip the mids altogether. On any kind of distance I usually find my feet on the passenger pegs anyway...and I'm nice and comfy! If that's how far mids on from "normal" - what do you think forward controls would feel like.

My 2¢

Mick said:
Did Yamaha ever find a permanent solution to the valve guide problem (ticking)? I know this was a big deal in the first few years. Haven't kept up with developments since. The FJR was a serious contender when I was considering replacing my ST a few years back but when it came out that the engine valve guides had become a problem that Yamaha was apparently denying, I just bought another ST. Too bad because the FJR is a very good looking bike.

Too soon to say for sure. The head appears to have been redesigned for new generation bikes beginning in '06, so don't expect any issues with those bikes. However not that many '06 and '07 bikes with enough miles rolled up that you could expect to see any with the tick.

A redesigned valve guide insert was issued for first generation bikes which developed the valve tick. I've not heard of any bikes redeveloping the ticking after repair.

As with many other things, the severity of this problem is overblown on the Internet. Very few FJRs ever developed this problem - maybe 1-2%. Yamaha has been reasonable about covering the repairs, even on bikes long since out of warranty. This issue didn't strike me as significant enough to base a buy/no-buy decision on it.

- JimY

jcyuhn said:
<snip> As with many other things, the severity of this problem is overblown on the Internet. Very few FJRs ever developed this problem - maybe 1-2%.
- JimY

Yes! After a problem is "reported" over the internet from Tampa, it is being discussed in Tokyo within hours. Suddenly everyone knows a guy who knows a guy whose cousin had the problem. The same thing has happened with BMW final drives. About 3% have failed, which is way too high a percentage, but the second and third hand 'reports" make it appear to the uninitiated that they all fail. I wouldn't worry much about the ticking at all; or the heat problems "reported" with both FJRs and ST13s. Test ride all that you are considering and buy the one that fits you. All the manufacturers are building good bikes but they aren't 'one size fits all.'

Both are great. I own an '06 ST1300 and my son has an '06 FJR. I've ridden both and they're both great. His only complaint with the FJR is the windshield. He's 6'2" and it's just not high enough. He's put an aftermarket windsheild on it, but it's still not tall enough because the slant is too drastic.

Don't have that problem with the ST. Reallly no complaints with the ST.

You can see some of the farkels we've added on my website and well as pictures of both bikes on our Glacier trip.

Well so much for the CB900F being in great condition... I just high sided it at work today....at about 12:45

Went for a ride at lunch, and was rounding out a curve when this happened:

First off let me start by saying that I read chapters 1-3 of "Twist the Wrist II" last night... all about powering through the curve "roll on" and stay on, not on /off...

So while I am out with a friend riding his Aprilla, I decide to try this out...
I entered the curve doing about 30mph, hit the apex about 35 or so, and then was heading out at about 40mpg, a steady pull on the gas...
When I was exiting the curve I was way wide, in the other (Left) lane, and saw telephone pole on the edge of the road, and felt that I was going to run into it, so I straightened it up, remembered to not fix on the target, and looked to the right (center of the road), when I did this, look to the right, I also turned to the right, to miss the pole, well of course with counter steering when you push to the right you go left... and I did. Right off the road...
Off the shoulder and into a wooden 4x4 fence pole about 20 feet from the telephone pole, I went up, the bike went down, I hit my right hip on the handlebar, which twisted me while I went over the bars head first, the back end of the bike now spun around to the right towards me, followed of course by the front end, some how the bike ended up with rear end facing the side of the road and the front end pointed towards the roadside, I remember looking behind me and thinking " Oh God I have High sided, and the bike is coming right at me" while I was in the air... I went ten feet (fence pole to fence pole) and landed 10 feet from the telephone pole. I landed on the left shoulder and rolled over my head, (scratches on the helmet just above the visor) feet hit the barbed wire and leg hit the little metal pole.

So right now my hip is soar. And I have taken about 500 mg of "Pain-eez" work supplied aspirin/ pain reducer... I am sure that I will be stiff by tonight...

Anyway the bike is still ride able, the head light, blinkers, instrument panel, are broke and the front fender is now cracked. I will have to see if I can get some pics...

I feel like a big dummy... I was riding above my means... even though it was a 40 mph crash into dirt and grass (for me), I was not ready to try the things I just read about... I should read the whole book first, then try things at a slower pace, and be willing to commit all the way through... If I would have stayed leaned into the turn, I would have been fine... I was already heading out of the turn, yes I was wide, but pulling up was the wrong reaction or SR to go by the book... Anyway...I will have a weekend to sit and stew in it, and listen to my wife rant about” this is why I didn't want you to have a bike!"

Glad your're OK :giveup: I'd take 800mg of Ibuprofen every 6 hours for a day or two to help the pain/soreness ;-)

No help here on what to say to your wife :eek2:

59 posts and counting. So which is it, ST or FJR? I say 'pick one and ride the H*ll out of it" :mrgreen:

Looks more an dmore to be the FJR... but I wil have to heal up first and I am still going to wait untill Christmas... But het at least the CB900F is fixable...All plastics and lights....

Did sitting on my fjr help you decide?

Get well and I'll see you again, maybe at the next bike night if you're there.

yeah just a little

made it home safe and sound ...
Hello hot bath and motren 800...
Good night everyone else....

Glad you are OK, make sure you eat some food with 800mg of Motrin. When I had my doink, the serious pain meds were fun but was glad when they ran out.

Well here I sit in Lampassas, visiting family for the holiday, the motrin wore off hours ago, everything is covered in white about 2 to 3 inches... and I now belive that I may have cracked my hip... something is wrong for sure... I kind of feel a line under the skin, and man it hurts... think I will try to get to the doc sooner rather than later... although I don't believe they can do anything for a cracked hip bone... but the shoulder is giving a bit of a problem too... boy I just keep whinning on here, but if anyone would know it would be those of you on here... I have to admit though the cruiser idea has popped up in my head along with the thought of maybe I am not meant to be riding twisties, and should stick to a slower bike that I wont be tempted to to try track style riding on... I don't know... it will months before I get a bike anyway...
Well have a Great "White" Easter ...

Go get checked out and wait until you heal to make any decisions on bikes. Day 3 after a traumatic event is usually the worst as far as stiffness and pain. Forget the Motrin. You need some real pain meds for a couple of days.

Try Aleve in the mean time. It is a better pain killer than Motrin which is more of an anti-inflammatory.

Last edited:
I'm partial to the ST13 as I own one.

Both are good bikes, I looked and pondered over the FJR for a long while but since Yamaha did the PDP program on the purchase of one (technical lingo for pre-order, none in stock) I took a hike over to Honda.

Read reviews on both bikes and see how they compare. On paper the FJR seems like it would be subtantually faster but in the real world, it just feels substantually faster and most of the reviews I have read show the difference is neglagable.

The FJR will feel more sporty while the ST is smooth and quiet like a Civic. Ride her well and she is fun. As for two up riding, my wife has fallen asleep on the back if that tells you anything.

The V4 puts your valve checks/adjustments right out in the open for ease of maintenance and with a little patience, none of the maintenance seems that difficult. I just completed my 16k service (@17200) by myself and it went very well all things considered.

Good luck on your search, either way you'll have fun.

thanks for the input, since the "get off", I all but forgot about this post.....

I've enjoyed reading everyones comments on the ST and FJR but I have not heard anyone mention the HEAT these bikes are accussed of having. I like both and would have a hard time deciding between the two. I've read that the 06 and 07 FJR's have resolved the HEAT issue but I have not seen any reports on the ST1300 lately. So tell me ST 1300 Honda owners, is there a HEAT issue and how bad is it? Comfort and smoothness rule. I'm tired of HOT bikes in the summer and buzzy handlebars/seats.

I've enjoyed reading everyones comments on the ST and FJR but I have not heard anyone mention the HEAT these bikes are accussed of having. I like both and would have a hard time deciding between the two. I've read that the 06 and 07 FJR's have resolved the HEAT issue but I have not seen any reports on the ST1300 lately. So tell me ST 1300 Honda owners, is there a HEAT issue and how bad is it? Comfort and smoothness rule. I'm tired of HOT bikes in the summer and buzzy handlebars/seats.
I got my ST1300 in November of '06 so I haven't had it out during a summer yet. Haven't had it out in anything over ~75-80F yet. That being said, I haven't noticed any heat issues. I do ride with riding pants all the time, not sure if that would help or hinder.

People say my VFR is hot, but I only notice that when its 105+ :shrug:

Never ridden a FJR so I can't speak on that

You are sitting on a high performance 1300cc engine, there is going to be some heat. I never had an issue with it on the ST... I feel more heat off the Wing than I did on the ST, and it's not even summer yet :lol2:

Just read comments on the ST Owners site and they were talking about heavy boots, overpants, cuttng the inner fairing, rapping the exhaust and one person was saying "rap your ankles with aluminum foil plus 2 pair of socks. THAT's rediculous. No motorcycle should put out that kind of heat. Statements like that is what keeps me from buying a new ST 1300. I have an '06 Electra Glide and it will cook your right under thigh in the summer. I ride year round on a daily basis and I DON'T want another WING.

I had a '98 and '01 Wing and never felt heat. I always wear sidi boots and jeans and that's it.

The heat issue is really an individual one. What is hot to you may not be hot to me. I ride in jeans at a minimum, Tourmaster Solution boots now Oxstar Matrix then. I rode 2 summers on my ST and had no problems with heat, I rode everyday to work and back, 50 miles round trip... 24k in 18 months.

I get heat below my right knee on my Wing... I haven't torn apart the tupperware yet, but it could be the vent isn't setup right :trust:

Just read comments on the ST Owners site and they were talking about heavy boots, overpants, cuttng the inner fairing, rapping the exhaust and on person was saying "rap your ankles with aluminum foil plus 2 pair of socks. THAT's rediculous. No motorcycle should put out that kind of heat. Statements like that is what keeps me from buying a new ST 1300. I have an '06 Electra Glide and it will cook your right under thigh in the summer. I ride year round on a daily basis and I DON'T want anouther WING.

Did you also read the majority of posts from ST owners who have no heat problem at all? Personally, I found it to be the people who don't know what heat is who complained the loudest. I always thought it was funny that the majority of the people complaining about heat were from cooler climates, telling those who ride daily along the gulf coast how incredibly hot their bikes were, while those riders in the southeast and gulf coast whould just shrug their shoulders and say "no problem here".

The ST was no hotter than any other bike I've owned. The FJR wasn't any different. Still, the warmest bike I've owned was a Hayabusa, but you don't hear owners of that bike complaining about excessive heat.

But what do I know. I ride a final drive exploding paint shaker ... if I believed everything I read on the Internet. :rider:

Back