• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Pelican Project

DaveC

Reaction score
First Name
David
Last Name
Carter
:trust:
The%20Pelican%20Project%20001_zpsabhwwggz.jpg
[/URL]

When I picked up my '06 it came with 1600 Pelican cases. Well I am not a fan of side loaders ::) The contents fall out when you open them. So to help with that issue I installed some lid supports. Being that I put some safety straps on my XII Kawasaki years back I thought I would use a similar method here.
SO things your going to need:
The%20Pelican%20Project%20002_zpslbre5vxb.jpg

electrical connectors with the loop, I used the 14-12 size which is yellow. Use whats handy.The holes vary in size, so when you pick them up get a screw that well fit the hole.
Caution, not all connectors hole are the same diameter!
The%20Pelican%20Project%20012_zps7lf8a4do.jpg

Wire, I just happen to have some braided picture hanger I found on sale a year or so ago. Use speaker wire as it is also coated and won't rust. I think this braided stuff might rust, I shall see.
Screws, I had a bunch of 10-24 nickel plated laying about and rummage through the parts bins I found 8 ny-lok nuts. Bonus! :)
You don't need a set of crimpers but if you got them! You only need to flatten the connector, it is not an electrical connection so your going to be just fine.
Wire cutter, for well you know, the wire.
A drill motor with the correct size bit.
Depending upon the screw and nut you choose an appropriate wrench/socket and screwdriver.

I cut four (4) equal length wires.
Tied a knot in one end and inserted it through two connectors, in opposite orientation and then tied a second knot.
The%20Pelican%20Project%20003_zpsjtceeqst.jpg

This is when I crimped the connectors, it keeps the knot from sliding out . Note the loose end is also inside the connector. You don't want the knot to slip out. Defeats the purpose of crimping.:doh:
The%20Pelican%20Project%20004_zpswi0sydvd.jpg

Time to drill holes into the cases! :o

Put your first holes in the lid, I put mine just outside of the latch contact area, same place on each side of each case.
Attach the cables with your screw and nut.
The%20Pelican%20Project%20011_zps9jx0hqoq.jpg

Then it is time to put the holes in the case. Figure out where or how far you want the lid to open. pull on the end of the cable and use you drill to mark that spot, then pull away the cable and make a hole. Attach the cable with the nut and screw.
The%20Pelican%20Project%20006_zpsfvgolaxh.jpg

Repeat with the other three locations.

Easy Squeezy , with all your parts and tools on hand you can knock it out in about an hour if you take your time and piddle.

This is my tool bag, every thing needed for a chain adjustment, front wheel removal. All my bungees are in the container and I plan on attaching a cargo net to the lid to store my liners of my jacket.
The%20Pelican%20Project%20008_zpsvygg8rz6.jpg

The%20Pelican%20Project%20009_zpsvjikt2q5.jpg

This is my spares box, fuses, nuts and bolts, power cables for my phone and bluetooth,first aid, flash lights, plug kit. I miss placed my Slime compressor, I think it is in the truck. It would go in here also. A rain suit and another cargo net for this lid.
The%20Pelican%20Project%20014_zpszrd2pzfy.jpg

The%20Pelican%20Project%20015_zpsl6xlirhe.jpg

BTW your welcomed to use that Farkle image, I found that game in a Target, ;D

Now I can tolerate this pelican set up, nothing worse than dropping your gear or tools in the roadside mud!:doh:

Nice work bad pics :lol2: I am too rough on stuff and will keep using my knee and sometimes dropping all of my contents on the ground when I open my side cases :rider:

Back