• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Speedo error

Kelsen

Reaction score
My Bandit has stock sprockets.

I see that my speedometer shows 75 mph at 4000 rpm in 6th. Can anyone with this corrected tell me what my actual speed is at this engine speed?

Thanks.

my '07 is at least 10% higher than actual speed. checked using roadside radar "your speed is" signs.

My speedohealer is set at -7% at present and is pretty much right on with my GPS on straight runs. 70 mph true is about right for 4000. Only thing with a speedohealer is your ometer is going to read 7% lower than your actual mileage. Per say, my bandit has 74.440 on the ometer as of yesterday. But when you add the 7% to is, actually is 79,850 neighborhood.

My speedohealer is set at -7% at present and is pretty much right on with my GPS on straight runs. 70 mph true is about right for 4000. Only thing with a speedohealer is your ometer is going to read 7% lower than your actual mileage. Per say, my bandit has 74.440 on the ometer as of yesterday. But when you add the 7% to is, actually is 79,850 neighborhood.

Wouldn't the mileage be correct since the speed was too HIGH and you corrected DOWN, or is the odometer driven from a different source than the speedometer?

Wouldn't the mileage be correct since the speed was too HIGH and you corrected DOWN, or is the odometer driven from a different source than the speedometer?

the technology for a accurate speedometer was invented in the early 1920's the speedometer on Asian motorcycles is deliberately off but the Odometers are accurate, so when you use a conversion device (spedohealer, speedo drd etc) you adjust the input signal to correct the speedometer but that correction factor throws off the odometer the same amount.

7% is the common amount speedometers from Japanese manufacturers are off. with the electronic sensor systems, the odometer is typically dead accurate.

my fuel economy on my Honda crf250L went down 5mpg after installing a speedo DRD! :doh:

Amazingly , all 3 of my BMW's were off 7 to 8 mph also. A trick on the GS models was to put the R speedo hub on as it was geared for a 17" front rather than the GS's 19 " job. What it done was put the speedo 2 mph over instead of 7 or 8. The R11R I had for a few years, had to live with it.
I just wonder, IF, the same magnet trick could of been applied to them as I did to my KLR last year after reading about it in a forum. Next time I see my favorite BMW mech in Baton Rouge, I'll discuss this with him.

Reminds me of how I used to amuse myself on highways before the advent of GPS.

On interstates you have mile markers, and on other highways I believe it was the highway signs that are placed something like every two miles and every other one faces the opposite lane.

Using the signposts, the second hand on the wrist watch, and holding a steady speed, you can work the calculations in your head to come up with actual speed.

It is a surprisingly accurate method, and, gave me something to do on long rides in the days before I had Bluetooth intercom and Stevie Ray on file.

Reminds me of how I used to amuse myself on highways before the advent of GPS.

On interstates you have mile markers, and on other highways I believe it was the highway signs that are placed something like every two miles and every other one faces the opposite lane.

Using the signposts, the second hand on the wrist watch, and holding a steady speed, you can work the calculations in your head to come up with actual speed.

It is a surprisingly accurate method, and, gave me something to do on long rides in the days before I had Bluetooth intercom and Stevie Ray on file.

Yep. I was doing this on my trip, which is what prompted the topic question. As nearly as I can tell, my speedometer is about 5% off. 7% is more likely, given that my measurements were only 'seat of the pants'.

I am skeptical of the idea that the error is not built in to the odometer. It certainly is on my car - almost exactly 2%, checked over 170,000 miles. Why would the bike have different methods for input to the speedometer and odometer? I would love to learn more about this from you folks that know.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen
--
"People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I assume the Bandit has the same speedo magnetic pick-up set-up as the V-strom. The magnetic pick-up is on the countershaft (front) sprocket and it's signal drives both the speedometer and odometer. A speedohealer electronically tweaks that signal to bring the speedometer into calibration but when it does so it skews the odometer a like percentage. I know for the V-strom someone was selling corrected speedometer face that fixed the speedo without affecting the odo. But I am not sure those are available for the Bandit.

Oh and the V-strom speedo is about 5% off (reads high). I installed a speedo healer and just live with the odometer error. I rather know accurately how fast I am going.

So......................what does all this recalibration due to, wait for it.......................
WARRANTY?[which is MILEAGE dependent]:zen:

My V-strom is an 03 model and has long been out of warranty. For those that aren't you might want to ask a dealership that question before jumping on the "speedohealer wagon."

Since I'm interested in a SpeedoHealer, I thought I'd call their distributorship (Blue Monkey) to get some answers to some questions here.

The rep I spoke with was very helpful. Regarding the issue of the odometer reading lower after correcting the speedometer with an SH, he said the DOT allows you to correct inaccuracies in either your speedometer or odometer. In other words, if you correct an optimistic speedo and therefore lower how many miles your odometer will register, no court would find you guilty of misrepresenting your mileage.

As for warranty issues, he's never heard of this being a problem in the 12 years they've been importing them, and he felt confident he would have heard if this was the case. Again, this is probably because the DOT allows them.

The dumb thing is Healtech, the company that sells them, implies on their web page that it'll correct both your speedometer and odometer, but lower down under the FAQ they admit you can't fix the speedo without making the odo read low.

OK folks, Wanabeguru, emphasis on "guru", after having spent MANY LONG HARD HOURS at the tech bench has come up with a foolproof item to guarantee perfect odometer readings. Normal price is $499.95 but a SUBSTANTIAL[ 100 % ] DISCOUNT is available to all TWT members.
Here it is, you need:
a calculator
a pit-bull stand or other like stand
directions: place bike rear wheel on stand
chock front wheel
start bike and place in top gear
calculate how long and at what speed bike needs to run to get "corrected" mileage.
run bike that long
shut bike down
return bike to normal parking position
congratulate yourself on a "job well done"
;-)

OK folks, Wanabeguru, emphasis on "guru", after having spent MANY LONG HARD HOURS at the tech bench has come up with a foolproof item to guarantee perfect odometer readings. Normal price is $499.95 but a SUBSTANTIAL[ 100 % ] DISCOUNT is available to all TWT members.
Here it is, you need:
a calculator
a pit-bull stand or other like stand
directions: place bike rear wheel on stand
chock front wheel
start bike and place in top gear
calculate how long and at what speed bike needs to run to get "corrected" mileage.
run bike that long
shut bike down
return bike to normal parking position
congratulate yourself on a "job well done"
;-)

that's sounds like what they did in Ferris Buelers day off, and that didn't turn out so well for the Ferrari. :lol2:

Funny thing is, in the '60's while I was mo can nik ing at a car dealership, we had a little motor driven unit to hook up to High mileage vehicles and get rid of some of the mileage.
I really don't care about my ometer being accurate but I do correct it for gas mileage, trip mileage , tire and chain , oil changes and stuff like that.

Leon: Since its only about 2k miles to my place you should stop by for a fireside chat.......and something cold to drink

After researching alternatives to the SpeedoHealer, I ended up getting a SpeedoDRD. $40 less, American made, 1 year longer warranty, and it does pretty much everything the SH does. Installation and calibration were a breeze. I've currently got it set at -8.7%, and it's spot on with my GPS between 40-80 mph. Much above that the speedo reads about 1 mph higher than GPS. According to my GPS, my odometer read a little high prior to installing the DRD, so I'll have to recheck things to see how its accuracy is affected.

I have the speedo drd also, it is tiny, easy to tuck away.

Back