Notices

Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #41
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: Riding the San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado 7/29 - 8/3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmons1 View Post
Looks like it was a blast. Not sure when I will get out there again, but can you post your final tracks sometime?

Thanks

Rich

I can recreate them from memory but I didn’t have the track mode on while riding. I forget to turn it on...

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:29 AM   #42
rob-houston

Scott, what is it about you and coke ovens?

Great ride, I've been to most of those places via full size Ford van and/or XL-185s!

Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT refurb.

2013 Honda CB500XA
2003 Blue Ninja 250
2008 Kawasaki KLR-650
1983 Honda XL-185S
1969 Penton 125cc (KTM frame Sachs motor)
1969 Honda CB-350
1967 Honda CL-175 (Insurance replacement for S-90)
1966 Honda S-90 (Totaled into 1964 Mustang)

1979/1980 Pearl White Bianchi 15 speed

Rob
rob-houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:34 PM   #43
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

All of these pics were taken with my iPhone. I did take MANY more pics with my camera and will eventually go through them and share the good ones. It might take me a while though!

We made it Huntsville around 1:00pm Sunday. Roger and Mason left here about 30 minutes later. They live in Tomball. They managed to cram a 450, 690, and 1190 in the bed of Roger’s truck! It was a tight fit!!

My 530 EXC ran fantastic the whole week! I did have to keep topping off the radiator fluid before riding each day because of a water pump seal leak, but other than that, it was awesome! The jetting was spot on and the suspension settings were almost perfect. Amazingly, after swapping my front tube the night before the first ride, there were no other tire issues for anyone during the entire week!!

It is good to be home.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 08-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #44
TDtrans

graet pics thanks for sharing
Old 08-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #45
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Thumbs up Re: Riding the San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado 7/29 - 8/3

Awesome pictures!

I rode the Divide Road area on my Fazer a few years ago. To get to Divide from say Whitewater on US 50 southeast of Grand Junction, take Colorado 141 west for 15 miles. You then turn left onto Divide Road (FR 402), switchback up the plateau, and continue to Montrose County. Castro Reservoir - take FR 403, off of the Divide Road, three miles west. Divide Road stays on top of the plateau for most of its length, at times exceeding 9,000 feet elevation and giving you stunning views of below. Several interesting side roads lead off the plateau. I did not try those due to my Fazer's lack of underbelly protection.

Other high-clearance forest roads connect to highways in the valleys, but be aware of weather and road conditions before attempting them. The road is packed dirt and gravel, but when it rains, everything changes...not as badly as New Mexico red clay.

A scenic place to camp on the plateau is Divide Forks campground.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #46
_RG_

The Adventure V.2.0

Started today in the usual way... just in a different place. "The Church on the Hill" - Silverton, Colorado. A truly unique group of faithful. Highly recommend this.

After lunch (at the church) it was time for a little exploring locally. Just kind of let the 1190 chew on some mountains and watched the results.

Sometimes things can be so close but so sadly far.

And then sometimes things can be so very cool.

A photographic disaster... this falls is the entire side of a mountain. Pix makes it look like minor crack in the rock.

Works of the Almighty's hand.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:18 AM   #47
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

RG, you doing all that alone on the big bike? Impressive!
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:17 AM   #48
rob-houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post

It is good to be home.
"Hey, it's good to be back home again"

John Denver

Garmin Nuvi 1450 LMT refurb.

2013 Honda CB500XA
2003 Blue Ninja 250
2008 Kawasaki KLR-650
1983 Honda XL-185S
1969 Penton 125cc (KTM frame Sachs motor)
1969 Honda CB-350
1967 Honda CL-175 (Insurance replacement for S-90)
1966 Honda S-90 (Totaled into 1964 Mustang)

1979/1980 Pearl White Bianchi 15 speed

Rob
rob-houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:39 AM   #49
_RG_

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
RG, you doing all that alone on the big bike? Impressive!
Rob, it is and then it ain't. I'm not sure who came up with that saying but we'll go with it for now. Seems like every ascent follows a similar pattern. As I go up, there will be a sequence of strata... places and zones where - by whatever mechanism of nature - the path changes personality. Sometimes drastically. Lower elevations are generally pleasant dirt or kitty litter gravel. Kitty litter is smooth but can be deceptively wicked. I find a lot of it around sharper switchbacks. When the immediate ascent coming out of the switchback is off camber, putting the spurs into the bike a tad too soon has exciting results. The rear tries to kick out and sometimes is quite successful.

Continuing higher up the mountain, I start to see transitions. Typically it's a distance where pointed angular rocks begin to poke up and gradually become a lot of the road. I call this a road because that's what they usually start out as. But – that holds true for only some distance up the hill. After a point things get kinda chunky. These areas take constant weaving between larger obstacles and berm surfing to avoid scree filled erosion. There are unending opportunities for pinching a tube or banging a rim into a perfect square or triangle through this. From increasingly protruding rocks the path changes into areas having not one blessed rock attached to any other. If you're familiar with the western side of Ophir pass – that's it. There are also normally areas where huge domed shaped rocks become the road. They mostly form little hills and folds and make for fine traction. Having the front tire drop into a crevasse is a hazard but mostly avoidable.

Approaching higher altitude is where the road becomes two track that a few heartier quads have pushed through. Here's the part where the trail takes on more of the hillside tilt and pleasant horizontal shelf road similarities end. By now we're in loose 3-6” angular rocks. They behave themselves remarkably well provided the angle of incline isn't crazy and traction entirely elusive. There's a certain need for keeping speed and momentum to help – and I know this sounds nuts, but – get the motorcycle up on plane. Like a boat. Slowing too much means literally sinking into the mess, having several of the little buggers grab the front and make mischief with your life. Having the front end deflected or the rear kick out is simply going to happen - so deal.

At some point the trail either makes it to the top of the mountain or just gets to a spot where pitons and rope are needed. Here, turning around is something best considered before stopping the motorcycle. This is my least favorite part of the ride. I've yet to figure out how to make my downhill leg telescope out a few more inches. I take it slow and gentle and sometimes have to do some creative maneuverings. Always leaning up hill. Wiggle some stuff and try to move forward or back – keeping a really close eye on the edge of whatever it is I don't want to go over. Eventually it works... so far.

As far as getting into trouble goes out here alone, there are so doggone many people up here right now. Seems folks from Oklahoma, Kansas, New Mexico and who knows where else have discovered our biggest state park (Colorado). This past Saturday had to have been some kind of record. I didn't know there were that many jeeps and quads running loose in the free world. A portion of these things are rentals and the folks driving them may have zero experience with high altitude navigation. They go slow and there may be groups of them all lined up along the trail. I've gotten very accustomed to passing. They generally haven't gotten comfortable with being passed. Mostly, they're great about it. They hear or see me behind and either stop or move over just a squeeze. Some are so entirely wrapped up in driving that an unexpected flash of orange zipping past is sort of disturbing. I consider it my duty to help desensitize them to the trauma.

To answer your question about it being dangerous out here alone. Well, mostly alone is a temporary thing. To be certain, folks do get hurt regularly out here. Scott and crew came upon a motorcycle accident last week. I've learned since that the girl didn't make it. That was on pavement up on Molass pass. We see rescue helicopters at least two or three times a week. I mean, statistically, you put this many folks in these mountains with moto toys and little experience and stuff is simply going to happen. It'll slow down a lot in a couple of week when folks start going back home and schools start gearing back up. That's when I'll need to mind my manners a lot closer about getting in over my head out there, alone.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:25 PM   #50
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

You my freind are way more of a rider than I can dream of being! Doing that on a big bike, just wow. Of course as Scott makes me famous for I don't do heights very well anyway! I'd sure like to get up there and try some easy stuff one day!! Enjoy and be careful!
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:27 PM   #51
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

The accident we saw was North of Cedaredge on Hwy 65. It runs over the Grand Mesa. It was near the base of the Mesa just where the road starts to get twisty. The person I saw going into the back of the ambulance was a 50-60ish looking male with grey hair. I also saw an undamaged 1200 GS parked a short bit down hill from the ambulance, but did not see a second bike or rider. The corner was nothing special or challenging. So I suspect the rider must have been going REALLY fast and lost control or perhaps there was another vehicle/animal involved?

The incident with the helicopter was when we were coming down Cinnamon Pass toward Lake City. I never figured out what that was all about.

On any of the passes around Ouray, Silverton, Telluride, and Lake City, there are TONS of people. When I was sitting on high on the West side of Imogene Pass with no rear brake, I was not real worried. I figured one way or another, someone would be along that could help me get the bike down even if it meant strapping it to the back of a jeep or something. Worst case, I'd leave it, ride down with someone, then have to hire someone to retrieve it (which would no doubt have been VERY expensive!).

I would be more worried about riding the single track stuff alone. In the event of an injury or going off the trail from loss of control, you might not be seen or found for quite some time, if at all. I think I'd be carrying one of those personal locator devices... Just in case. Cell service was present on many of the major passes, but not everywhere.

While having lunch in Gateway on Hwy 141, I visited with a retired Sheriff. He had many stories of riders going missing, including one where a rider went off and landed on a bike/rider that had been missing for a long time. Neither the later or past rider survived. However, the later rider had a personal locator device which made it possible to find him. The medical examiner determined that he crashed because of some medical issue and was likely dead or dying before going off the road. They determined the first guy had died from injuries and exposure after the crash. So you never know...

Riding smart is a BIG issue in places like this, or any other remote areas. You have to know your limits. You have to be willing to turn around. You just have to be smart about it. There is no guarantee, but you can definitely stack the odds in your favor with good preparation. Even so, there is always a risk of injury and even death. However, I think that is part of what makes it so attractive. It is that which makes you feel so alive while you are doing this kind of activity. Here in the safety and comfort of my office... I don't feel so alive

Quote:

Old 08-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #52
Jarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsguy View Post
I'd sure like to get up there and try some easy stuff one day!!
Me too. There's gotta be some easy roads up there too.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #53
jredford

I was riding 26a towards Imogene sp? Pass. A family had rented a Polaris 4 wheel 2 seater. Coming around the corner I noticed on of the front wheels was missing. Well it was actually broken but still attached. I felt bad for them as they had rented 3 vehicles and their day was over. I helped them move it out of the line and offered to give the dad a ride back to Ouray. He decided he would push the gps alert button and wait for the company to come pick him up. I hope it worked out for them.

1290 SA
Ninja 300 track bike
jredford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #54
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Me too. There's gotta be some easy roads up there too.
There are roads that are MUCH easier than the high passes. Owl Creek Pass is one, to the East of Ridgway. CR 25, or the Blue Mesa Cut Off road, goes between US 50 not far from where Hwy 92 and US 50 meet, and drops to the SE down to Hwy 149, where you can then head South into Lake City. OR... you can run West a bit on 149 to Powderhorn and pick up Cebolla Creek Rd (CR 27) and run that South to FS-788. You can then take 788 West to 149 and drop out at Slumgullion Pass South of Lake City, or you can run it East to Hwy 114. Just East of CR-25 is CR 26, which also runs between US 50 and Hwy 149. I've not ridden it, but I suspect it is similar to CR-25. The Divide Road (FS-402) that runs South to North along the Uncompahgre Plateau West of Montrose is easy. Last Dollar Highway North of Telluride is moderately difficult for big bikes just because it gets rocky and steep in places. IF wet, I would not attempt it just because it gets messy. Kebler and Ohio Passes near Crested Butte are supposed to be easy, but I have yet to ride them. Cottonwood Pass between Taylor Reservoir and Buena Vista is easy. Stevens Gulch Rd North of Paonia on Hwy 133 is easy. It runs North to FS 265, CR-330 and CR 342 (Penninsula Rd), and then on into Rifle. There are no doubt many others, but keep in mind that even moderately bad weather can turn easy roads into a nightmare in a hurry in the mountains!

Generally, unpaved roads that follow valleys are easy. Unpaved roads that go up and over the mountains will be hard. It helps to look at a topo map to make that determination if you are not familiar with the terrain/roads.

Quote:

Old 08-07-2018, 09:04 PM   #55
_RG_

Preacher was kind of down Sunday. The moto accident on Molass pass was a couple of his friends. The girl who didn't make it had worked with him at some point. He said they pulled out to pass and right into an oncoming truck.

Guy in Silverton said they had six fatalities on Black Bear during the first month it was open this year. Folks can dang sure get into trouble in these mountains.

As much as I enjoy single track, I won't ride it alone. ST is different. Outside the technical aspects, there may be only one group of bikes down that particular trail every three weeks. Not the kind of situation anyone wants to be in with problems. I carry a spot but still have no desire to spend the night out on a mountain... I'm a certified wuss about being cold and outrunning bears, mountain lions and such. Not seeking my lower position in the food chain.

All this makes the San Juans sound bad, and they're not. Almost any rider can find incredible beauty and seriously fun stuff to ride here. There's something for almost anyone - BUT - it's also just as easy for anyone to get in over their heads right quick. This no place for bravado and excessive testosterone.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:06 PM   #56
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post
Preacher was kind of down Sunday. The moto accident on Molass pass was a couple of his friends. The girl who didn't make it had worked with him at some point. He said they pulled out to pass and right into an oncoming truck.
Sorry to hear that. I was not aware of that accident.

Quote:

Old 08-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #57
_RG_

In Telluride today. Rode the 1190 in for a little recon this morning. Back this afternoon (truck) in search of the perfect margarita and - of coarse- ice cream. Rode the gondola down from mountain village into town. Hope I can find it later. Retired CIA chap speaking at the library this evening. The one who wrote "sleeping with the devil" and a few other titles. I've read a couple of his books. He's going to set us straight on the whole Trump/Russia thing. Looks to be a cozy affair.

Heard a couple of motorcycles heading down 145 toward Rico this morning. A smoker and a couple of strokers. Few R1150's and R1200 GSA's with full baggage here today. Nothing but jeeps coming into town from the Bear. I'm hoping to scare up a crew in the morning to ride the Wilson Mesa trail. It's reported as a milder single track that runs along the north border of the Lizzard Head wilderness. I've had the track for years but never run it.

Still a lot of smoke in the air. Yesterday the sunset over Sunshine Mt and Wilson Peak was hidden in a red layer. Radio says there are a couple of local fires to blame. Rumor round the campfire is the train actually started the 416 fire near Durango. Seems they have a guy who's job is to put out train fires everyday but with everything so bloomin dry, the 416 just got away from him. Looks to be raining up on the Bear and Imogene right now... dry as a cob here in the low country.

If folks in Telluride didn't have their cell phones I'm pretty sure they'd shrivel up and die. Maybe I've just been out in the woods too long... More later...

Last edited by _RG_; 08-09-2018 at 06:27 PM.
_RG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #58
TDtrans

rg dont now how long your going to be there but me and my buddys wil be outside of creed sat afternoon .we love single track all ovr 50 expert level riders .one 30 yr old .i left your phone number at work .pm it too me if you want tptal of 6 of us be safe
Old 08-14-2018, 07:42 PM   #59
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Okay, so here are the tracks from the routes I did each day. Some of the other guys did different routes or didn't ride at all a few days. I think all of us did the first three days, then after that folks started doing a bit of their own thing as their butts directed...

[Gotta do a "Right Click, Save As" on the link above]

Red tracks are small bike days and blue tracks are big bike days.

Quote:

Old 08-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #60
Simmons1

Thanks for the tracks!

Some people buy motorcycles for road trips
while others buy them for ego trips.

Where's Rich been lately?

Africa Twin / Goldwing / Super Tenere / WR250R / ST1300 / KLR650 / GS1000S / GT750 / H2 750 / H1 500
Simmons1 is offline   Reply With Quote