TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Jarrett
 
Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waxahachie
Posts: 882
Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

I'm new to riding and starting to branch out from local rides a bit. Got a chance to do some riding in the Texas Hill Country this weekend. Got in about 600 miles in total or so.

One day on pavement and two days in the dirt. It was a blast, especially the dirt riding.

The pavement day was just me running through the popular roads out there. 16, 337, 336, 335, 39 mostly. That was a lot of fun, especially all the corners. I was by myself, in and out of phone coverage and on a new set of big block off road tires, so I kept it fairly tame.

You've all probably seen the Three Sisters videos before, so nothing new. Here's mine


The two days on dirt, I went out with a tour company called Adventure Tejas. I was hesitant to spend the money with them, but glad I did after the fact. They have some nice routes planned out that were 70% off pavement. Roughly 375 miles in two days.

Lots of water crossings, dirt, gravel, sand, etc. The new tires (Shinko 804/TKC 80 which they recommended to me beforehand) saved my butt in a few places. In the deep gravel and especially in the sandy areas. I would have been down no doubt on the stock tires.

Wes and Stephen are good tour guides, imo. They connected me to their Sena group and we talked all the way through the ride. They told me about the area we were riding in and stories about other rides through there in the past.

Probably most importantly, they fielded all my newbie questions and talked me through the technique of how to ride in different situations during the ride. Where to stand, where to point the bike, how to pick a line, how to handle deep water crossings, how to react to deep gravel and especially, what to do in sand. So I got some adventure riding lessons rolled in there with the tour. That was really helpful for me. I came away from it feeling much more confident off pavement than I did going in.

If anyone every wants to go do a tour down there with them, let me know, I'd go back and ride with those guys again for sure.

Check out 12:50 and 13:09 for some deep sand that surprised us in the dirt video.


Here are some pics:


















Last edited by Jarrett; 06-20-2018 at 12:07 PM.
Jarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 46,676
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adeventure Tejas)

Cool!

In the water crossings, sand, and deep gravel, you want to drop further back from the guy in front of you. That way if they have a problem or go down, you have time to react to avoid. You don't want to slow down or you will likely have a problem or go down right there with them! Better to get by, find a good place to park, then go back to assist if needed. It's also just easier to see if you hang back enough to be out of their dust.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Vec
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Kerrville, Texas
Posts: 72
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

glad you had a good ride! how'd ya like the BBQ?
__________________
Navy Vet
'10 WideGlide
'00 DR650
Vec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
Jarrett
 
Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waxahachie
Posts: 882
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

It was certainly better than Dickey's but not on the Top 50 level.
__________________
2016 CRF1000L
2018 KLR650
2012 NC700X (daughter's bike)
Jarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:40 AM   #5
woodsguy
Forum Supporter
 
woodsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Huntsville
Posts: 6,350
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

nice pics
__________________
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All for sale!
woodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
DaveG99
 
DaveG99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Forney
Posts: 22
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

I will get down there and do this once I get my new vstrom set up for offroad.

Last edited by DaveG99; 06-20-2018 at 12:09 PM.
DaveG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
Jarrett
 
Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waxahachie
Posts: 882
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

It's a good time.

Lots more rough ranch roads and water crossings than around here, for sure.
__________________
2016 CRF1000L
2018 KLR650
2012 NC700X (daughter's bike)
Jarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #8
DaveG99
 
DaveG99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Forney
Posts: 22
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
It's a good time.

Lots more rough ranch roads and water crossings than around here, for sure.
I have been through the three sisters in my car but never by motorcycle. Im more excited about off pavement riding though.
DaveG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:22 PM   #9
Messenjah
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Kerrville
Posts: 47
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

Thanks for the kind words Jarrett. We had a great time with you, Gary and Patrick! I think the best part of the tours we do is the friends we meet!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Messenjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:44 PM   #10
Jarrett
 
Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waxahachie
Posts: 882
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I have been through the three sisters in my car but never by motorcycle. Im more excited about off pavement riding though.
It's even better by motorcycle, but I had more fun riding off pavement with the Adventure Tejas guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messenjah View Post
Thanks for the kind words Jarrett. We had a great time with you, Gary and Patrick! I think the best part of the tours we do is the friends we meet!
Thanks for a fun tour. Looking forward to doing it again sometime.
__________________
2016 CRF1000L
2018 KLR650
2012 NC700X (daughter's bike)
Jarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #11
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 46,676
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
It's a good time.

Lots more rough ranch roads and water crossings than around here, for sure.
Were the water crossings nice and slick? Sometimes they are so slick it is hard just to stand in one place, even in only a few inches of moving water!
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 03:32 PM   #12
Jarrett
 
Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waxahachie
Posts: 882
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
Were the water crossings nice and slick? Sometimes they are so slick it is hard just to stand in one place, even in only a few inches of moving water!
I don't think I remember slipping in any of them, maybe I did though. There are one or two in the video above.

I saw the KLR's in front of me slip a little, I think. I did try to power out of one for fun only to realize that I forgot to turn my traction control off

I think the water levels were much lower than normal on this trip, but still plenty of splashing around to be had.
__________________
2016 CRF1000L
2018 KLR650
2012 NC700X (daughter's bike)
Jarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:42 PM   #13
StromXTc
Forum Supporter
 
StromXTc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: George West
Posts: 783
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
I don't think I remember slipping in any of them, maybe I did though. There are one or two in the video above.

I saw the KLR's in front of me slip a little, I think. I did try to power out of one for fun only to realize that I forgot to turn my traction control off

I think the water levels were much lower than normal on this trip, but still plenty of splashing around to be had.
Slow and steady win the crossing race. Those things can come back to bite who ever gets cocky.
__________________
Brian
2015 Bashan 250 China Enduro - Gone
2017 V-Strom 650XT gaining farkle weight
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #14
dualsportvet
 
dualsportvet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Elgin
Posts: 1,293
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

I still have not done the 3 sisters. Wait, that didn't sound right....

I may ride out this weekend. Leave EARLY sat morning.
__________________
2016 Honda Africa Twin

Texas Africa Twin Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/408075406212122/


Combat Engineers 89-2001, can't get there without us.
dualsportvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #15
Jarrett
 
Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waxahachie
Posts: 882
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

It's a lot of fun on pavement, even more off
__________________
2016 CRF1000L
2018 KLR650
2012 NC700X (daughter's bike)
Jarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:26 PM   #16
TxEvo8
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Highland Village TX
Posts: 27
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

Stephen and Wesley are solid dudes, I will ride with them again some day.
__________________
Jimbo
R1200GS
TxEvo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #17
mlinkibikr
 
mlinkibikr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fulshear, Tx
Posts: 1,305
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

For a new rider you have good lines on the roads. Late entries give you that view of your exit. Lots of times new riders go in too close to the center line early, then get in trouble when they are surprised by decreasing radius corners they can't hold. It's a tendency I am still trying to improve on decades into my experience. Well done!
Dave.
mlinkibikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #18
Jarrett
 
Jarrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Waxahachie
Posts: 882
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinkibikr View Post
For a new rider you have good lines on the roads. Late entries give you that view of your exit. Lots of times new riders go in too close to the center line early, then get in trouble when they are surprised by decreasing radius corners they can't hold. It's a tendency I am still trying to improve on decades into my experience. Well done!
Dave.
Thanks. I used to do this kinda stuff for fun in little creeks on souped up jet skis. Seems like some of it translates.

I'm just too scared to do that on pavement as it looks harder than water

__________________
2016 CRF1000L
2018 KLR650
2012 NC700X (daughter's bike)
Jarrett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
DaveG99
 
DaveG99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Forney
Posts: 22
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

I used to race through creeks on jet skis as well. Used to ride the st John's river in Florida and all the little creeks that link to it. But this was 15-16years ago.
DaveG99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #20
MacDaddy
 
MacDaddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Midlothian
Posts: 1,319
Re: Trip To Texas Hill Country (Adventure Tejas)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
Looks like a good day not to fishing around the bend in a kayak.

Hey, did you all get a chance to cross the James river?
__________________
Steve - "I got a new helmet"

Gray 14 Tenere ES
White 12 Burgman Exec (You got a problem with that?)
White 18 Honda PCX (153 cc of Heck and Fury)
MacDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-18.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.25865 seconds with 11 queries