TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > Texas Dualsport Riding > After the Ride

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 07-28-2018, 11:50 PM   #1
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Riding the San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado 7/29 - 8/3

Well... we arrived a little before dinner time. Mike, Steve, and Jay were already here. As we unloaded, I found the front tire of my 530 TOTALLY flat! So we went to dinner

After dinner it was raining pretty good so I used the trailer as a garage and Steve helped me do a quick tube change. Better here and now than on top of some mountain.

We are meeting RG and Chris tomorrow morning (Sunday) at the base of Corkscrew. We’ll be doing California gulch, Placer gulch, Cinnamon and Engineer passes. I think the weather is supposed to get better.

Will update as I can.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 06:29 AM   #2
Lucydad
Forum Supporter

Re: Riding the San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado 7/29 - 8/3

Welcome to my home. Definitely keep eyes open on WX and road conditions. Spend lots of money as the locals need your inflow. I know the best places for grub, and where the cutthroat trout hang out....
Lucydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 07:24 AM   #3
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucydad View Post
Welcome to my home. Definitely keep eyes open on WX and road conditions. Spend lots of money as the locals need your inflow. I know the best places for grub, and where the cutthroat trout hang out....
Scott is thrifty! lol
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All but Honda for sale!
woodsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
_RG_

Chris and I warmed up the trails a wee bit. Starting near Silverton, we went down Ophir into Telluride...up and over Imogene... down into Ouray where we found Mike and Steve in the motel parking lot doing a quick top end job on Steve's fine looking KTM. After a good visit we saddled up and made a spirited dash up Corkscrew into Animas and made our way through the Great San Juans back to Silverton. Great day and a fun adventure. More to come...

Last edited by _RG_; 07-29-2018 at 08:18 AM.
_RG_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 08:50 AM   #5
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RG_ View Post
Chris and I warmed up the trails a wee bit. Starting near Silverton, we went down Ophir into Telluride...up and over Imogene... down into Ouray where we found Mike and Steve in the motel parking lot doing a quick top end job on Steve's fine looking KTM. After a good visit we saddled up and made a spirited dash up Corkscrew into Animas and made our way through the Great San Juans back to Silverton. Great day and a fun adventure. More to come...
You make what scares me sound so easy and nonchalant. Lol. Hope all y'all have a great time.
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All but Honda for sale!
Old 07-29-2018, 07:19 PM   #6
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Awesome ride today!!

I’m tired... loaded up on ibuprofen. About to head out for dinner.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $312.84 - Previous Month: $553.44 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 07-29-2018, 10:01 PM   #7
humanrace

Scott, you ride the same roads that I have ridden many times, yet you take beautiful pictures of things I have never seen.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:13 AM   #8
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanrace View Post
Scott, you ride the same roads that I have ridden many times, yet you take beautiful pictures of things I have never seen.
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All but Honda for sale!
Old 07-30-2018, 01:18 PM   #9
_RG_

Doo, Doo, Doo looking out my back door...

Home for the duration...

Last edited by _RG_; 07-30-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #10
_RG_

Nine riders. All fully capable off-road. This is a rare group that handled everything the trail threw at em. Awesome day!

Hope FBI facial recognition stuff doesn't handle motorcycle helmets....

This dirty little dude just about put a sweet 690 and it's pilot out of the picture. Tricky stuff.

There's all sorts of worse ways to spend your days.

Old 07-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Old 07-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Another’s awesome day!! Today was a big bike day with a mix of fun dirt and incredible pavement!

Small bikes tomorrow. Doing Black Bear into Telluride.

Quote:

Old 07-30-2018, 09:45 PM   #13
jredford

Nice pics Scott. I’ll be heading up to Bayfield on Thursday.

1290 SA
Ninja 300 track bike
jredford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:09 AM   #14
woodsguy
Forum Supporter

_RG_
"This dirty little dude just about put a sweet 690 and it's pilot out of the picture. Tricky stuff."
Which 690 and what happened?
TORCS #70
2018 KTM 350 XCF
2017 Honda CRF 450 RX
2016 BMW R1200RS
2016 BMW 800 GS
All but Honda for sale!
Old 07-31-2018, 09:04 AM   #15
TDtrans

awsum me and 5 buddys are headed there friday the 10 we stay just down the road from freemans general store .whoo ooh cant wait
Old 07-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #16
PigTrail

Great photos. Keep it up!

www.DualSportDispatch.com
PigTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:21 PM   #17
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

I need new knees... mine are KILLING me! Nonetheless, today was a fun but rough day. First up was Black Bear, Bolam, Hermosa Creek, then Lime Creek. All of it was ROCKY. My old 530 is taking it in stride, but it’s gonna need some work when I get back.

I tucked the front here at about 2 mph, my only drop thus far...

Most of this is so steep that it is REALLY HARD to stop. The tires just slide in the loose stuff.

Lunch in Telluride

Quote:

Last edited by Tourmeister; 08-05-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:38 AM   #18
_RG_

Yep, Blackbear for breakfast. Helps if you're still working through last night's tequila infusion.

Hoped to beat the crowds...didn't happen. Fun ride up to the steps but Jiminy Cricketts!!! I've never seen crowds like that on the bear. Jeeps (dozens), hikers, bicycle.... take a number and wait.

I started down the steps just to see about a dozen hikers coming up round the bend. Do you have any idea what it's like grinding to a halt halfway into the steps??? Oh well, new experience...fun in a mildly sadistic sort of way.

Part of the crew got stuck waiting behind a gaggle of jeeps navigating the first switchback...yes, that switchback. It was well lunchtime when they broke through and made it down the mountain.

After lunch, three of us split for some single track... the East Fork trail. It's relatively mild as Colorado ST goes but is truly beautiful and technically challenging - just too doggone short, really.

Kubotamike demonstrating what the folks in Austria built his beautiful 501 to do.

This is Mason's look of "Who is this old character and what was I thinking" at our first stop. He adapted remarkably fast and by the last part of the trail was chewing the back fender off my bike.

The trail kicked us out very near the top of Bolam pass. We went to check the old cabin where we were to meet the rest of the group. Surprise! They weren't there?

Seems we made it to the top just a wee bit ahead of them. So, we tooled over to the lookout to kick back and enjoy the cool breeze and chunk rocks.

After the rest of our crew arrived, we coasted on down the Hermosa side of the mountain. Here's our own Tourmeister showing the world how to splash the dude with the camera who's sitting too close to the stream.

I was going to bail as the rest of the crew headed toward Lime Creek road. Tourmeister questioned my sanity for such assumptions. We decided to go check it out. Turned out to be a really fun and incredibly scenic "road." I did mark a new single track along the way... for future exploration.

Last edited by _RG_; 08-01-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #19
TDtrans

great pics the 10 th cant get here quik enuff
Old 08-02-2018, 12:11 AM   #20
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Riding the San Juan Mountains in SW Colorado 7/29 - 8/3

Nothing spectacular today. Everyone is getting tired and worn down from the rough stuff. The original route for today got scrubbed based on updated info about some of the roads. Half the guys stayed back to relax, leaving me, Roger, and his son, Mason Rogers to do the ride. On the roads that were fun and which typically have awesome scenery the smoke was terrible. So I only have a few pics. It hit 100 F during the late afternoon and we decided to cut it short and head for the hotel and the hot tub. I got in a whee bit of a hurry and got stopped by one of Colorado’s finest... Fortunately, I wasn’t in too much of a hurry and it is not a huge fine.

Most of the pics are from Black Canyon of the Gunnison and then Hwy 92 along the North side of the Canyon. We made a short run up the South side of the Grand Mesa on Hwy 65. Near the bottom we came up on a motorcycle accident scene. I didn’t see the bike, but I did see them loading the rider into the ambulance. Hope it wasn’t too bad!

Tomorrow we do Imogene and some other fun stuff!

Quote:

Last edited by Tourmeister; 08-02-2018 at 12:14 AM.