• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Wanted, Project Bike

japako

Reaction score
Hi, I'm thinking of buying a project bike, but don't know what I want.. LOL
I'm thinking of a bike I could make some money on. Not much, but don't want to lose too much.

Wife would not understand.;-)

Any ideas on what would be a good starter?

Classics are high now but a SV650,500 Ninja,Maxima,or some cruisers are ok priced. To me an old KZ is always a desireable ride. I have a couple of 440LTDs I will be working on this spring. Drew

I've got a Yamaha XT225 (maybe a 250?) sitting in my shed, Runs, but not right. Early 80s? $250

You mean a bike to flip? If so, a not really old Japanese bike should be a good start. The SV 650 is a bike with plentiful parts, thanks to track days. ;). Sounds like fun.

I'm thinking of a bike I could make some money on. Not much, but don't want to lose too much.

Are you looking for a street bike or dual-purpose? Drew

Are you looking for a street bike or dual-purpose? Drew

Something that would be a good seller. I don't think it would make much difference, but a DS might be easier to work on and find parts for. I don't know??? I have the time and tools, so it is just something I would enjoy doing.

Something that would be a good seller. I don't think it would make much difference, but a DS might be easier to work on and find parts for. I don't know??? I have the time and tools, so it is just something I would enjoy doing.

Seen a few DR's awhile back selling fairly reasonable on CL. Drew

Look at craigslist, type "project" into search bar. Another and in my opinion a better method is to refine search by targeted price. It can and will bring up everything from junk basketcases to occassionally a smok'in deal. One thing to watch for: Make sure they have the title, many don't. Oh, and another thing: Check availability and costs of replacement parts, some are common other's (think older and unpopular)are much more difficult to source.

Thanks for all the good info. I think I'll keep an eye out on Craigslist and see what pops up.
Don't think I want a ground up restoration as that may be expensive..

Good luck on your "investment". Typical Craigslist ad: "For Sale 94 Hardley Hardhead -95% complete, $4000 Obo, just needs TLC, and new battery - ran when parked in 02. New baby - or family illness forces sale. $6000 invested, must sell by weekend.
If you want to have fun buy a bike to ride. If you want to make some money selling one find someone down on his luck. Then, at least you won't loose what was previously invested and the amount you loose will be less. It's not near as much fun. Please don't ask me how I know, my wife would not understand. :giveup::rider:

Making a profit can be tough unless you come across the right deal. I've bought, repaired and sold a few (after playing with them for a while) most I break even on, or close to it (which I'm fine with as I enjoy the process). I've loss my lunch on one, bad enough that I haven't ever put pencil and paper to it because I don't really want to know :rofl: :eek2:
The only one I've made a good profit on was an ATV I got for free from a friend that was in pieces (engine out of frame and cases split), and I picked up a junked out parts donor for $100. Though that's just getting lucky and certainly not typical.
I'm still riding one of my projects and loving it (the KTM).

How about a kids bike?? I've got a 1980 Yamaha DT100 just sittin in the garage waitin for someone to do sumthin with it. Needs a few add on pieces but the basic bike is all there. No title for it though so it'd hafta be OFF ROAD only.

Thanks again for all the interest and good info.
I've not had the time to due much searching, but still looking, if you know what I mean.

Just bought a used trailer that I'm working on now. A nice 77"x120" that needed some minor things done to it. It came with a treated deck that was almost new, and new tires. Took the deck off and am cleaning the rusted metal and will repaint and rewire. The trailer is very heavy duty and custom built.
When I''m done, I'll either sell, or use it for the bikes and sell my Heavy Duty 6'4"x16' tandem axle with new tires.

Hope it warms up soon..:rofl:

If you're dead set on making a profitable resale, your best best is to find a good deal on a bike whose replacement parts are readily available. Having to get everything from England or some other faraway land (see my thread on attempting to restore an early '70s Kawasaki S1) will kill you on both price and shipping. The same can go for eBay and its ilk. You'll want something you can go to a local shop and buy most of the parts for, as well as find stacked up aplenty in the salvage yards.

Good luck and keep us posted. :chug:

One of the best-kept secrets are actually 70s British bikes. There are NUMEROUS reputable parts suppliers, and almost every part for those "new" bikes are available. The 70s Triumphs & BSAs are "less-loved" due to misinformation about them being "too tall" and ill handling. Only the 71s were "tall-ish", and only if you are 5'8" or shorter. MANY modern bikes are MUCH taller, and that's considered "normal". They are actually very nice bikes if you find one that has been reasonably maintained.

Hey a Honda 750 nighthawk semi-newer one are sometimes reasonable. Hard to make some work because of the price of parts or the time wasted looking for them. Try one that is not rare first before getting into a classic collectable. Problem might be that after your done you may want to keep it.:trust:Drew

I am doing a couple of SL350s and while they use common parts with CB and CL350s, which were numerous, I could not buy 2nd over pistons from Honda. In the end I bought knockoffs from the Netherlands. Powroll quit selling them and Weisco has 4 over which is max.

I agree with the guys that say buy it, fix it, ride it, get tired of it and sell it. That way you can get your money back in miles or get lucky and make a little.

i have an '05 Wee Strom that could fit into your parameters

needs front wheel & a few brake components

needs foot peg

needs a few parts gently re-positioned

it is nicely farkled & still looks great

i just acquired a wheel assly & ordered a set of foot pegs, which would go w/ her

this project has a serious profit potential

i have a clear blue title, in my name, & pics

if this interests you, shoot me a PM

sw

My 2001 ZRX1200 is rapidly devolving into a project. PM if any interest - I need this bike gone!

I think project bikes first go to someone who wants to ride them. But money talks.

Most of the guys who restore, do it because it reminds them of working with their dad or that they always wanted one. Guys who do it for the money generally part them out as most are worth more for their parts than whole.

Generalizations - I know.

I think project bikes first go to someone who wants to ride them. But money talks.

Most of the guys who restore, do it because it reminds them of working with their dad or that they always wanted one. Guys who do it for the money generally part them out as most are worth more for their parts than whole.

Generalizations - I know.

+1 it would be very difficult to make a living restoring projects found on CL. Like I said for me it's the challenge that's fun. I'm happy if I break even within a few bucks. Not to mention I get something to ride for a while.
As long as the net cost to the family budget is $0, my wife doesn't care what comes and goes from the garage :lol2:

Back