• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dual-sport adventure in New Mexico late May

Reaction score
First Name
Francisco
Last Name
Romero
Hello,
I am starting to plan a week-long trip to NM in late May or early June. I am somewhat flexible with the dates but I probably don't want to go after mid June.

The idea would be to do a couple of sections of the NMBDR and the rest on paved roads. My thinking is that I have limited time and I a mostly interested in scenery more than tons of off-road travel - would want to pick the most beautiful sections of the NMBDR and skip the rest. My plan to is to ride from Dallas to Carlsbad or Cloudcroft and start the NM section of the trip there. Want to do the last section from Cuba to Antoñito and probably the one from Wilson to Reserve.

I welcome company - if you're interested let me know and we can plan together. My motorcycle will be my wr250r, so I can't do high-speed highway even to get to NM. If someone has a trailer and wants to trailer the bikes to NM, I am fine with that, and we share expenses.

If I go alone I'd camp a 2-3 nights in pretty places, but not every night. With company we can discuss what makes sense - camping is not critical and I can skip it altogether.

Draft itinerary
This route has two complete NMBDR days plus some other unpaved riding the other days. I couldn't fit it in one week because I need 2 days to get there and back. Comments/feedback welcome!

Last edited:
I’d love to do the NMBDR again (and finish this time). Going to be in OK/ AR at that time. But, if anything changes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d love to do the NMBDR again (and finish this time). Going to be in OK/ AR at that time. But, if anything changes...

Thank you! So you've done the NMBDR already! That's great! I may have some questions for you.... if anything changes about your availability, please let me know!

Also have a WR. Would love to go. Only have a single rail trailer tho.

Thanks for your interest! Let's start talking via email.

I might be interested. Would the Strom be suitable for the BDR sections ?

Great! Let's chat. The Strom should be fine for most sections, but there are sections with deep sand, which could turn to mud that would be challenging on a big bike, but probably ok on a 650. I want to avoid those anyway. There is also a technical segment from Winston to Reserve that can be bypassed, but it's probably doable on a midsize dualsport.

I don't want to suffer through sand, mud or huge rocks - my goal is to have fun and not to break a leg! :rider:

I might be able to swing this, cant commit yet. I will be on an Africa Twin. I mostly camp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I could be in, depends on the weekend. XR650l with camping gear. I like the sand, mud and big rocks. I just need to know the mileage so I can make a tire choice ahead of time.

Thank you for your interest! I have started to put together a route and will be posting it soon for comments.

I added a preliminary route to the original post on this thread. Those of you familiar with NM... let me know your thoughts!

I'm not familiar with NM in general, but I've spent a good bit of time in Taos County. I *always* try to have a meal at Orlando's in Taos when I'm there. I've been wanting to ride my Super Tenere out there, but haven't done it yet. I own a little tract of land with sage (chamiso!) on it where I've done a good bit of car camping near Questa. If you end up going in the first full week of June, maybe I could meet you in Taos County. While it would be fun to join you for the full trip, the NMBDR is probably too much for my Super Tenere and my skills.

I'm not familiar with NM in general, but I've spent a good bit of time in Taos County. I *always* try to have a meal at Orlando's in Taos when I'm there. I've been wanting to ride my Super Tenere out there, but haven't done it yet. I own a little tract of land with sage (chamiso!) on it where I've done a good bit of car camping near Questa. If you end up going in the first full week of June, maybe I could meet you in Taos County. While it would be fun to join you for the full trip, the NMBDR is probably too much for my Super Tenere and my skills.

Bob, thanks a lot for the suggestions and it would be really cool to meet there. First week of June is a strong possibility - I am trying to pick a week with little to no rain - don't like mud! I have seen fully loaded GSAs on the NMBDR and as long as you avoid the few technical segments you'd be fine... there are bypasses for those sections. Something to think about!

I looked at your map. Take a look at GPS Kevin's continental divide route from Silver City NM. There are some really nice dirt roads that can be included. For example, there is a great road 6 between Datil and Pie town, then connect to paved to Grants. Your route from Grants to Cuba is great.

I am thinking I could meet you in Grants for day 4-7 then head home from Anonito. (depends on date, I have to attend a family wedding one of those weekends.

Last edited:
Texxter, have you rode 159 via 52 from Winston over to Mogollon thru the mountains ?

I have only been to NM by bike once and it was a short trip to ABQ to visit a friend. So this will be the first time I explore motorcycle-friendly roads in the state. I have been to NM by car many times, but as you know, when driving you pay attention to things other than road quality! :-) So I am not familiar with 159 from Winston to Mogollon... I am sure it's awesome! I wanted to run this segment of the NMBDR between TorC and Reserve, but I am open to changing that to a paved route if it makes sense. I think the last segment from Cuba to Antoñito is the one I am most interested in.

Texxter, Are you thinking like Saturday to Saturday ?

Right now I am pretty open - depending on who's firmly committed and everyone's availability. We should probably decide sometime in May. I would like to track the weather forecast and pick a "dry week" if at all possible.

I looked at your map. Take a look at GPS Kevin's continental divide route from Silver City NM. There are some really nice dirt roads that can be included. For example, there is a great road 6 between Datil and Pie town, then connect to paved to Grants. Your route from Grants to Cuba is great.

I am thinking I could meet you in Grants for day 4-7 then head home from Antoñito. (depends on date, I have to attend a family wedding one of those weekends.

Thank you! I will continue to refine the routes and post updates. Let's make the route awesome! I am not a hardcore offroad rider (learned to do it very late in life and I am not very good at it) and want this trip to have a balance of great pavement, great twisty roads, scenery, cool little towns, with a bit of unpaved trails in pretty places.

P.S. Do you have a link to GPSKevin's continental divide route?

Last edited:
I have only been to NM by bike once and it was a short trip to ABQ to visit a friend. So this will be the first time I explore motorcycle-friendly roads in the state. I have been to NM by car many times, but as you know, when driving you pay attention to things other than road quality! :-) So I am not familiar with 159 from Winston to Mogollon... I am sure it's awesome! I wanted to run this segment of the NMBDR between TorC and Reserve, but I am open to changing that to a paved route if it makes sense. I think the last segment from Cuba to Antoñito is the one I am most interested in.

Right now I am pretty open - depending on who's firmly committed and everyone's availability. We should probably decide sometime in May. I would like to track the weather forecast and pick a "dry week" if at all possible.

Thank you! I will continue to refine the routes and post updates. Let's make the route awesome! I am not a hardcore offroad rider (learned to do it very late in life and I am not very good at it) and want this trip to have a balance of great pavement, great twisty roads, scenery, cool little towns, with a bit of unpaved trails in pretty places.

P.S. Do you have a link to GPSKevin's continental divide route?
find last years continental divide thread Rich (trailboss) put together. I think the gpx files are on that thread.

Hello,
I am starting to plan a week-long trip to NM in late May or early June. I am somewhat flexible with the dates but I probably don't want to go after mid June.

Leaving May 3. Might could put it off till 1st week of June.

If I go alone I'd camp a 2-3 nights in pretty places, but not every night. With company we can discuss what makes sense - camping is not critical and I can skip it altogether.

I'm camping. Good place to camp located in Chloride Canyon.
Then you can make Reserve late afternoon.

Main part i want to ride is :

That section between TOC and Reserve is climbing up to over 9k feet (not alt). It is not bad, just the road going up the mountain is made of baby heads where you bounce at lot... No cliffs to worry about, just trees.

Once your over the top, you have nice gravel/dirt road descending along the ridge. Pretty ride. there is sorta a drop off on you left, so dont get distracted and go off it.

Section 7 - Rio Chama, would not miss this.

Section 4 (taken from another post)
Luna has fuel and has not run out in the two years the owner/manager has been there.
What the manager told me about the BDR group that came by was it was a Sunday and they are closed on Sun. She just happened to come by the station to get gas for herself and saw the riders there. She opened and they fueled and went on their way.

Luna Service Station
M-F 7:00am to 6:00pm
Sat 8:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday closed.

I may cutoff somewhere close to the AZ border and continue up to UT.

Looking on another forum, seems a lot riders are headed out on the NMBDR on <=250 size bikes, late May early June.

Last edited:
Back