• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texas inspection sticker placement

Reaction score
I've been surfing around trying to find a definitive statement on exactly what the state law/rules/guidelines are for inspection sticker placement. Pretty much all I can find are statements that it must be viewable from the rear. My local "We'll inspect anything and pass it" shop is clueless about the legalities of such stuff. I'd just like to know before getting pulled over...

In the interest of ditching the ugly bracket that came with the bike (none are attractive) I'm looking at slapping one on my swingarm/driveshaft assembly, which is visible from the rear. Assuming you're a foot behind the bike and at about a 60 degree angle from the sticker... :)

Anyone know of a more legal definition of where the sticker *MUST* go? :scratch

I see "stunta's" and cruisers all the time without visable stickers, so maybe I'm being paranoid. :shrug:

After seeing a Chopper with a inspection plate mounted between the front fork tubes,,, I did some research :help: and looked on the Texas DPS site and the only thing I found there :shrug: was that it must be NEAR the rear plate no mention of facing to the rear. As a Note the inspector that did mine said that the DPS Trooper had come by the week before and told him it MUST face rearward but cited no specific law :nana . Having said that, I have had no problems ,,SO FAR with this set up. Knock on wood!
plate.jpg

Last edited:
§ 548.255. ATTACHMENT OR PRODUCTION OF INSPECTION
CERTIFICATE. (a) An inspection certificate shall be attached to
or produced for a vehicle in the manner required by department rule.
(b) The department shall:
(1) require that a certificate for a motorcycle be
attached to the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate; and
(2) adopt rules with respect to display of an
inspection certificate for a moped.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995

TXmedic
Thanks :chug: I could'nt remember the addy for this. Now I guess I better download a copy and keep it on the bike! HAHA It amazes me how many LEO's don't know the law! Of course in their defense there are usually what about 200 NEW laws passed each year? As to this type of situation I usually ask VERY POLITELY could you please show me the law that states "THIS" is illegal OR WHERE it says that it must be SO and SO?

OK, here's a related question...how do you get a replacement sticker if it gets lost say, by the license plate holder falling off??

Cheers! M2

Thanks SRAD and txmedic.

Might just leave the stupid, ugly bracket in place. :tears: Maybe then the LEO's wouldn't notice my plate's not lit anyway (seems the Remus cans won out over the light with the previous owner). "Gee, thanks officer. I NEVER would have known that wee little light was out"... :)

M2, I've ran that route and the only way was to just do a new inspection and pay for it. Yep, full price. I went through 3-4 on my kinda-legal XR before I peeled one back off, lamintated it, punch holes in the corner, and zip-tied that puppy to the bracket. That fixed it.

Jack Giesecke said:
Just go take the plate and inspection sticker plate behind it off some other smuck's bike and use it! That's obviously what they want you to do or they wouldn't make it so easy to steal! :shrug:

I KNOW you're just kidding! The problem is, I think some people do get their tags/inspection stickers that way! :miffed:

I also know that the tag/inspection sticker weren't stolen, as I didn't stop after taking some pics (which show both still in place) until I realized they were missing. I've got a Florida tag on the bike for now, but I'll have to convert it back over to a Texas tag once I retire from the USAF in a few months...

Cheers! M2

I have not had the sticker or it's plate on mine since a F/E kit in June.
Hey I looked and am 3 mos. past due, it IS going on the swingarm probably without a light.

I've checked with 2 different dealers and they said it doesn't matter as long as it's visible. Some put it on the front forks, swingarm, or plate on the side somewhere. My fender eliminator didn't work to well with the inspection plate below it....kept hitting my rear tire. As soon as mine comes due, it's going on the side of my bike.

The guy in charge (DPS) of all the inspection stations in my area said they must be visable from the rear. So at my station they get put on so they can be seen from the rear. He can make my life very hard. Fines and jail time. The inspection may be a joke but the trouble I can get into for passing a bike that should not pass is not.

Ron

Ron do what I do in these situations, ask VERY respectfully politly to be shown where the law says that the inspection MUST FACE REARWARD. I understand that the fines for inspectors can be outrageous($10,000 +!) but the fact of the matter is these guys CAN'T just decide how THEY want things and start making their own rules! IF it is the law,,SHOW ME and I will comply but NOT JUST BECAUSE YOU SAID SO Officer.
The light issue is so easy its crazy! I used one of those lighted windshield washer nozzles(Its small and streamlined, ANY type of light would work). Cut the mounting tube off and put a bolt in the center with JB Weld, the Ground wire goes right under the plate and is pinched by one of the other 3 bolts. the hot wire goes through the slightly enlarged bolt hole, I used heat shrink tubing at this point for extra insulation, then glued a piece of heat shrink to the back of the plate mount using clear 3M emblem adhesive and ran the wire behind the bracket then down and along the bottom swinarm with a few wire holders from RadioShack I put an insulated male/female plug right under the axle so that in the event of rear tire removal it can be unplugged and laid aside. The wire then runs up through the center of the shock area into the tail section where it spliced into the tail light with another 5 amp fuse. If any one wants more pics post up and let me know.
Oh lastly remeber attitude IS EVERYTHING! If you have a bad attitude your gonna get a ticket gaurenteed!

With this guy I just dont want to rock the boat. He has already closed most of the stations in Caldwell. He has even been getting on to us for useing the wrong color ink on the weekly reports. :headbang:

Ron

On the Roadie I just sold, I placed the inspection sticker on the back side of the plate, clearly visible... specially if I was being pulled over for 6 month old expired tags. If an LOE was giving me a nasty-gram he could easily lean over and see I hadn't had the bike inspected since 2002. Like was stated by someone earlier, it only has to be mounted on visibly on the rear.

Example:
InspectionSticker.jpg

redrider4life said:
He has even been getting on to us for useing the wrong color ink on the weekly reports. :headbang:
I know what the problem is there... you're just using the wrong cover sheets. Here's the correct one...

TPS

Police have a old saying....you might beat the rap, but you cant beat the ride. If you read the law as it is quoted they get the right to determine the correct placement. And as red rider said they can make life difficult for the inspection station. I used to inspect vehicles here in Texas and good old big fat DPS inspector man would come by and make sure we were in compliance with HIS law. Officer Bearden I think his name was.

Back