• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sprint high beam (non)-trigger

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
The "passing beam" trigger on the Sprint no worky. The high beam switch still works. Probably easy fix, but looking for experience/ input before I work on it. (read: render it totally inop)

-no, britbikes no longer have Lucas electrics

Thanks-

no, britbikes no longer have Lucas electrics

But my experience is that they still have somewhat whacky electrics nonetheless :-P :shrug:

Adios,

I've not had to get into the electrics yet, so I'll take your word for it. I do find it odd that they include a 12V output, but it requires an extra adapter to connect to anything. Maybe british electric vests have a different connector.

I don't think mine has a passing beam trigger, so I can't help you much there, Matt. About the output adapter - they probably sell it separately so that you have to buy it as an accessory. Kind of like how my Sprint doesn't come with a centerstand installed, but they'd be delighted to sell me one for about $250.00. :roll:

Try spraying a little evaporative contact cleaner up into the switch. Sometimes a little moisture can get in there and disable the switch intermittently. Had a similar problem on my 01 VFR high beam switch.

Adios,

That flash-to-pass switch on mine works fine, it activates both the low and high beams at the same time. The switch is probably a little corroded. You can pickup the kind of cleaner that TourM is talking about at Fry's or Radio Shack.

The power outlet is the same as the BMW power outlet, which I have read is the same as a John Deere outlet. My bike came with a standard cigarette lighter outlet mounted below the factory outlet, so both are there. I am not sure how it is wired up yet, but it does work. I am replacing it with a marine grade lighter socket with a water cap that I bought at West Marine, I just haven't got around to replacing it yet.

Interesting, mine just has the "John Deere" outlet. Never worried too much about getting the adapter, as I have never needed to plug anything in. Thanks for the contact cleaner idea, will try it.

The previous owner of mine no doubt added the standard lighter outlet, it looks like one of those AutoZone specials, no weather protection on the outlet and starting to get some rust on it, that is why I am going to change it out to the marine grade with a cap, the other one was never meant for use outside of a car.

I use mine to plug in a compact compressor to air up my tires, and I will be getting the lighter adaptor for my iPod.

Passing beam trigger??? Never heard of it. Do you actually use it? Doesn't seem like it would be a great loss, seems like it would be about as easy to just rock the highbeam. I say remove it and save weight :mrgreen:

It is an approximatey clever albeit pretty useless bit of british of technology (oxymoron?) In addition to the high beam switch, there is a "trigger" style button on the forward facing part of the headlight/ signal assy. that flashes the high beam.

The fix: Rode home in the rain Tues. night, is fixed!

I guess they decided the Daytona wouldn't be passing anyone (always in front)?

:lol:

I love the Mutant monster!! How is it coming along? -- I have always wanted to do "something cool" to the Sprint, but $$ and ability have hampered my goals. I am also afraid I may do some irreperable damage..

-Sometimes "better" is the enemy of "good enough"--

I can't tell from your avatar- Are you jumping the Honda?

STrider said:
I love the Mutant monster!! How is it coming along?
Well, not much has really changed other than the exhaust. Time is an issue right now.

STrider said:
I have always wanted to do "something cool" to the Sprint, but $$ and ability have hampered my goals.
I found that removing parts is cheap ;-). Doesn't have to be expensive if you're open-minded and creative about it. Check this out:
http://www.sbf-triumphparts.de/umbau.html
Those are your headlights being used.... wicked.

STrider said:
I am also afraid I may do some irreperable damage..
No damage is irreparable, just another excuse to modify further.....

STrider said:
I can't tell from your avatar- Are you jumping the Honda?
The XR650L, yes (not the NX650 :shame: ouch)

Wait a minute, what's this? a little red button that say "pass" above it? On my 'Tona? Guess I was wrong....

It seems that my RS has a passing switch too. Never even thought to look for it before I read this thread.

Owner's manual? I don't need no stinkin' owners manual! :roll: ;-)

STrider said:
Lucas... the British Prince of Darkness
:twisted:

I had Lucas Electrics in my 1971 Triumph TR-6, (the four wheeled kind) and while driving home from my GF's house one night every light bulb on the car decided to go dark. What fun that was. :roll:

Texas T said:
STrider said:
Lucas... the British Prince of Darkness
:twisted:

I had Lucas Electrics in my 1971 Triumph TR-6, (the four wheeled kind) and while driving home from my GF's house one night every light bulb on the car decided to go dark. What fun that was. :roll:
I hear ya. Same thing happened to my TR7, not to mention the issues with my MGB. I had to carry a couple of rolls of wire, elec tape, wire cutters and various connectors everywhere I went, just in case. Same with my buddy's TR6 and Spitfire... we loved them despite it all though.

Back