• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Save my bike

Reaction score
Just got a 1995 GS500 that needs a little love to bring it back to life. When I bought it , she started right up no worries. Took her out for the first longer ride and I stopped for gas. I try to restart it and nothing....won't crank. Feels like the battery is dead. I replace the battery and giddy-up.

Next day I try again and it starts up (eventually) but belches white smoke like my grandfather and a pack of Morlboro reds. Then it dies. The RPMs drop and it dies. Try to crank and it feels like the battery is dead again. One or two cranks and it won't even fire anymore. ****.

Thoughts? Am I looking at some major issues here? Right now I'm only out the price of a new battery but I'm willing to put a little money in if it means some reliability in the long run.

Topic moved to Bike Help Forum. ;-)

Possibly a bad stator? I consider electricity a black art though. :-D

Check the battery leads, coil plugs, spark plug wires generator plug etc. and determine that you don't have loose or frayed connections. Buy or borrow a $10 spark plug wire tester. Consider the carbs as the source, they may need cleaning. If the crankcase is overfilled with oil, it can spray onto the air filter and prevent air flow and or smoking once started. My money is on the stator though. $130 from Ron Ayers.

So, it starts fine with fresh battery, 'seems' to run fine, then after killing the motor it's not turning over at all? Sounds like it's not charging. Probably voltage regulator, that's common. Will the battery take a charge? Otherwise there's a short or other drain on the battery while the bike sits. Lets hope it's the voltage regulator.

The white smoke won't have anything to do with this though. If it's white, it's likely oil, probably leaking into the combustion chamber while it sits; valve guides or something. Does it go away once it runs for a moment?

We have a GS500 Top end sitting in my garage ;-) If you come get it, it is yours.

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
We have a GS500 Top end sitting in my garage ;-) If you come get it, it is yours.
With all this good stuff you've been giving away, all I'm seeing is ebay $$$$.... what other kind of good stuff you got sitting in there? :-P

Casey, it is not worth the money it would cost to ship it. I tried selling it on the GStwins website. No on wants to pay the shipping on a big heavy chunk of metal.

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
Casey, it is not worth the money it would cost to ship it. I tried selling it on the GStwins website. No on wants to pay the shipping on a big heavy chunk of metal.
But this is ebay we are talking about :roll: . Last night I watched someone win an auction to pay $25 for shipping on a 2lb headlight :shock: .

Honorary said:
Where's your shop? I might just take you up on that, or at the very least put a name with a face. :-D

:rofl He thinks you have a shop!

Nah, he's just got a garage full of bikes at his house - mine being one of them. ;-)

Honorary said:
Try to crank and it feels like the battery is dead again. One or two cranks and it won't even fire anymore. dang.

Thoughts? Am I looking at some major issues here? Right now I'm only out the price of a new battery but I'm willing to put a little money in if it means some reliability in the long run.

It sounds like the bike either needed a new battery or it may have charging issues. Check out this excelent fault finding chart for troubleshooting tips.

http://www.electrexusa.com/electrex_fault_finding.html

Carl

Just an update: Changing out the stator cell and giving her a little general love....oil change, lube, etc. Basicall all the stuff that should have been done a long time ago. Plugs look allright...I'll probably go ahead and change them out now. One less thing to worry about in the long run.

I'm rebuilding the carbs and adjsuting the front fork, just putting some heavier oil in there as it is pretty soft right now. Might upgrade to progressives...haven't decided yet.

I don't know what was up with the cables on this thing either...some of them just don't seem to go anywhere. They're just tucked under the seat on one end and connected to various hoses on the other. Who does that? :shrug:

Thanks for all the advice from everyone. If all goes well I'll be able to ride out to a meeting sometime soon. Hopefully :lol:

Back