TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General > Vintage, Classic & Project Bikes

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2017, 09:24 AM   #21
1 wheel peel

Re: GS1000E.....again

With the time they spent just setting they could probably benefit from a dip in an ultrasonic cleaner. I've had good results doing that with Kawasaki mower carbs. No kit, no complete disassembly just a few hours in the tank.

"When the barn's on fire, slapping a coat of paint on the other side doesn't make much sense." C. Swindoll
1 wheel peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:01 AM   #22
Downs

I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. It's on the short list but finding one that can fit a whole rack of carbs would would be a search. I'll mess with them some more do a through hand cleaning if need be.

78 GS1000 (Tennessee Hillbilly)

97 Jeep XJ Sport "Adventure" Jeep.
Downs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #23
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downs View Post
I don't have an ultrasonic cleaner. It's on the short list but finding one that can fit a whole rack of carbs would would be a search. I'll mess with them some more do a through hand cleaning if need be.
I have on from Harbor Freight. I think it was around $50-60. It works great, but it has a hard time fitting even one complete carb. I have to remove the bowl and pieces. Then I put it in one way, let it run, put it in another way, let it run, etc,... However, it works REALLY well. I do 3 parts water and 1 part Pine-Sol. It is also heated. It's a slight inconvenience having to do multiple runs for one carb, but the big cleaners get pricey REAL fast!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 AM   #24
1 wheel peel

I may have the same one, like you said takes multiple cycles but eventually does a really good job.

This is the one I have.
https://www.harborfreight.com/25-lit...ner-63256.html

Downs you might could buy one for what it would cost to come here but your welcome to use mine. You would as Scott said have to do them one at a time.

"When the barn's on fire, slapping a coat of paint on the other side doesn't make much sense." C. Swindoll
1 wheel peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #25
Downs

Right now I've got to get them to stop overflowing and leaking. I'm sure that's causing problems on its own. I'm going to pull the rack out in the near future and replace the float needles and seats and reset float height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #26
focus frenzy

wired George is his handle, I think he is a member here as well as the GS resources.

need to bring it out to burger box some time.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #27
Downs

Burger box is now an hour and a half ride away :/. A pie run on this bike will probably happen before burger box right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-21-2017, 10:28 PM   #28
Downs

Forgot to update the thread. Raised the needles and tweaked the fuel/air screws some. The fueling issues are basically gone now. I think I still need to do a little fine tuning on the screws and MIGHT step up one more main jet size.

Today I dropped in the Dyna coils and drained the fuel tank to pull the sending unit because the gauge hasn't worked ever. Shorting the wires worked the gauge in teh cluster so it was good there. I found the single power wire internal on the sending unit had broken the solder and resoldered it and it's working again.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #29
sKatZ
Professional Trainwreck
Forum Supporter

The Tennessee Hillbilly growls again

Loud brakes save lives.
sKatZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #30
Downs

Picked up a set of 20 dollar stansport saddlebags from Amazon. They seem to fit the look of the bike pretty good. They aren't that large but for small runs into town or for short overnighters they should be good enough when combined with a tailpack of some kind.

Still gotta go up a main jet size but running good enough for the time being. Not lean enough to cause damage.