• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TAT Shadow of the Rockies (New Mexico)

Reaction score
First Name
Lane
Met the guys from AdventureTejas (check out their website for guided tours in Texas) on the Unofficial Hill Country 500 earlier this year in May. They mentioned doing the Trans American Trail Shadow of the Rockies and said i should tag along. Well i took them up on the offer as did my dad who rides a Explorer 1200 (wetfoot is his forum name on here).

We rode from Houston to meet Wes and Stephen in Kerville where they are based. Then a long ride out to El Paso and picked up the TAT trail there. Below are a few highlight pictures and click the photobucket link for the full gallery.

Me: Tiger 800 XC
Dad: Tiger 1200 XC
Wes: Yellow 1150GS
Stephen:Silver 1150GS

http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/RustyLane/slideshow/TransAmerica Trail New Mexico 2016

IMG_1423_zpsre3lvrzt.jpg

IMG_1429_zpsp0owgv8t.jpg

IMG_1462_zpsgietcvpc.jpg

IMG_1482_zpsg42evfst.jpg

IMG_1450_zpsfk3hu2ge.jpg

IMG_1464_zpsg4ulkuzu.jpg

IMG_1467_zpsq8u2ehpp.jpg

IMG_1495_zpsc06e8lki.jpg

IMG_1515_zpsxfwh0pgg.jpg

IMG_1563_zps4rqs1oe2.jpg

IMG_1613_zpsyzmlfs7p.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pictures, what is the story of the 3 bikes laying on the ground?

I am confused, I have ridden the TAT and it doesn't go through Texas, so what has this got to do with the TAT? It looks a lot of fun but trying to understand how it links to the TAT?

Gary

I am confused, I have ridden the TAT and it doesn't go through Texas, so what has this got to do with the TAT? It looks a lot of fun but trying to understand how it links to the TAT?

Gary

Gary we began the TAT Shadow of the Rockies trail in El Paso and then headed north through New Mexico into Colorado. Sorry i should have clarified better in my post. Also dont confuse the TAT shadow of the rockies with the original TAT trail. Shadow of the Rockies is a south to north route.

Nice pictures, what is the story of the 3 bikes laying on the ground?

Sam the creator of the trans america trails noted on his maps that the roads in new mexico are dirt based and "impassible when wet". This was an underlying joke along the trip until we encountered rain on our 3rd day. We actually didnt get rained on that particular day but the road ahead of us got dumped on and became slick clay "like chicken ***** on a linoleum floor" as my dad said. i just happened to be 4th in position at that time and they all three fell at the exact same time. I wish i had a go pro because it was a hilarious site.

Gary
Sounds more like a Continental Divide ride than a TAT route.

It was a great time... Tin Cup pass being the biggest trial on the big bikes (6 hrs). Without rain it would have been easier and quicker, but the testing always adds to the story!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big bikes in mud... Oh yeah, that's always good times!! :rider: :flip: :eek2: :doh:

I'd like to smack the German engineer that thought it would be a good idea to put the screws that hold the front fender in place on the UNDER SIDE of the fender so you have to take the front tire OFF to get to them!! :argh: I was thinking not so pretty thoughts about that person when I had nothing but rotten sticks to use when trying to scrape out enough mud on my 1150 GS to get the front wheel turning again :miffed: I can laugh about it now, but it sure sucked at the time(s), hehe.

Big bikes in mud... Oh yeah, that's always good times!! :rider: :flip: :eek2: :doh:

I'd like to smack the German engineer that thought it would be a good idea to put the screws that hold the front fender in place on the UNDER SIDE of the fender so you have to take the front tire OFF to get to them!! :argh: I was thinking not so pretty thoughts about that person when I had nothing but rotten sticks to use when trying to scrape out enough mud on my 1150 GS to get the front wheel turning again :miffed: I can laugh about it now, but it sure sucked at the time(s), hehe.

Fortunately we had tire irons to scrape the mud out. The three bikes with knobbies had no problems (other than falling) but the one with the Heidenau K60's kept clogging up... about every 15 feet!

We’ll be starting the planning for R2R3 (Run To The Rockies 3) in February. Planning to do COBDR up to WY and TAT SOR back down to Trinidad. This is a charity ride raising awareness for Ultimate Sacrifice Association.

Back