• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Your bike (s), emotional attachment or just machines?

I have love for all of my bikes, but I'm not in love with any of them. If money can buy one money can replace it. I've owned more motorcycles in my life than I've dated ladies. And I'm ok with that.

Mostly machines for me. I don't cry or get upset if they get scratched or damaged like I would for something I truly care about. I also will let others ride my bikes and am not really worried about someone possibly damaging them.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy riding them a lot and each has a different type of riding that I enjoy. I also try to keep them damage free, clean (at least clean enough that they look good at 10 feet) and in top mechanical working order.

I guess they are emotional in that I enjoy them and feel extremely lucky to own them, but I'd be willing to swap any of them out for a similar or better performing machine if I came across the right deal.

As such, I'm not exactly attached to any of them.

Now....someday, I'll own an MV Agusta Brutale and I think I might get emotionally attached to it. I think those are the most beautiful pieces of mechanical art and sound in the motorcycle world.

I've got a beautiful Brutale for sale, I'm just sayin.

I keep thinking about selling my '05 FJR but then I fire it up and get on it and smile just like the first time I swung a leg over it years ago!

Then I twist the wrist and that big motor torque kicks in and I think "sell it? NAWWWWW!" :)

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

When I first acquired the '82 Sportster Black Beauty in '06, I'd come out into the garage at all hours, and just sit on the floor and stare at it. The first street bike I'd had in decades, and the first since I stupidly sold my '82 (irony) CR480R. The last I'd had before that, was a '69 500 Titan Suzuki. I will never sell this bike.

Then after mom passed, I acquired the Road Glide "The Vigil" referencing a song by Blue Oyster Cult. She wanted me to buy something that made me happy. I did, and not long after I took a soul repairing trip to Big Bend on it. I will never sell this bike.

Tying all these emotional attachments together, was joining the CAF, and becoming crew and maintenance on a B-17 out of Houston. Maybe the bikes set me up for it, but the sense of a machine being a living breathing entity has never been so strong. Those that think it's just that, a machine, wash out pretty fast.

I personally believe that an emotional attachment to a machine of pleasure, greatly enhances one's enjoyment. How else can you become one with the road if you don't feel as one with the interface?

I've got a beautiful Brutale for sale, I'm just sayin.

Lol...I've looked at your ad more than once. Timing just wrong for me right now. 2 kids at A&M means I'm feeling poor.

I have one graduating in June...I might feel richer then. :)

Do you have an emotional attachment to your bike(s) or are they just a machine?

I'm pretty attached to each of mine; almost like a family member with different personalities. Each was chosen for a unique purpose, each has a history I can trace back, each has "grown" on me as I ride, repair and maintain it.

Call me crazy, but I often walk through the garage, pat each bike, gaze at how beautiful they are, and think how fortunate I am to have my bikes to enrich my life.

Just walking in from the garage,

This is me, mostly I will stay attached until one has become so unreliable that it leaves me some where stranded. Then our relationship begins to fall apart.

I have been riding since 1979. I have owned over 50 bikes. I usually don't keep them long enough to get attached. I do still have the bike I learned to ride on in 1979, a 1977 XR75. I am pretty attached to that bike and restored it last year before I got sick.

I am not at all emotionally attached to my motorcycles, but they are not just machines - they allow me to have amazing experiences with great people and therefore they are special and I love what they do for me. I've had a few motorcycles since I was a teen and what I remember is not so much the bike, but what the bike allowed me to do, the experiences. I guess I'd say I am emotionally attached to riding motorcycles, but not particularly attached to specific motorcycles.

I am not at all emotionally attached to my motorcycles, but they are not just machines - they allow me to have amazing experiences with great people and therefore they are special and I love what they do for me. I've had a few motorcycles since I was a teen and what I remember is not so much the bike, but what the bike allowed me to do, the experiences. I guess I'd say I am emotionally attached to riding motorcycles, but not particularly attached to specific motorcycles.

A fine distinction, and one I appreciate.

I love traveling by motorcycle, I also love the sensations of riding.

I’ve had my main ride for almost 20 years. I value it, but there’s not an emotional attachment. I highly value reliability, and this one has functioned perfectly for 174,000 miles. I ride a motorcycle because nothing else transports me as quickly from where I am to who I am.

I’ve had my main ride for almost 20 years. I value it, but there’s not an emotional attachment. I highly value reliability, and this one has functioned perfectly for 174,000 miles. I ride a motorcycle because nothing else transports me as quickly from where I am to who I am.

My main ride or at least until the last couple of years has been my 74 850 Norton Commando Interstate. 250,000 miles on the old girl. Blew out my right knee and haven't ridden her much the last year or so. First knee surgery didn't take so I will give it another go later in the year. Until then it is button bike time. I enjoy riding and restoring older British bikes.

58 Norton Dominator 500cc
55 AJS 18s 500cc Single
64 G80 Matchless 500 cc single
66 Norton N15cs 750cc
70 Norton Commando 750cc
74 Norton Commando Mk2 850 Interstate
74 Norton Commando Interstate w/ a CNW starter kit
04 Suzuki DL650

A fine distinction, and one I appreciate.

I love traveling by motorcycle, I also love the sensations of riding.

Thanks, Gina. It is similar to photography for me - love the process of creating images, but the camera/lens doesn't get me excited.

Back