TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,... > Gear

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 12-15-2016, 01:27 AM   #1
Ken Phenix

"WATERPROOF" GLOVE LINERS EXPOSED

Why do so called waterproof gloves begin to leak after a while? Is genuine Gore Tex worth the price? You bet it is. I've examined several gloves and have been shocked at what I've found inside. Here are some examples of proprietary "waterproof" liners such as aquatex and hipora. They are little more than sandwich bag material which deteriorates and tears over time. The last photo is a Gore Tex insert which is actually bonded to the glove's inner lining - waterproof AND breathable and obviously more durable.

That's why all my gear is Gore Tex. I've often wondered why a bona fide Gore Tex heated motorcycle glove doesn't exist in the market.

When I started my facebook page, people from China sent me messages trying to sell me these cheap, I mean pennies, waterproof glove inserts. Here's one from Hipora.

Here's an old Olympia glove with their Aquatex liner. The fingertips have worn right through.

Here's a no-name glove. Notice the rip at the wrist and the stitching right through the liner on the fingertips!

And this is the ultra thin vinyl I found inside a Gyde/Gerbing glove.

Now look at this genuine Gore Tex liner I removed from a military glove. The difference is dramatic!
IBA #47092

ASK ME ABOUT HEATED GEAR
Ken Phenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
tshelfer

Re: "WATERPROOF" GLOVE LINERS EXPOSED

I've never owned Gore Tex gloves. I've owned Gore Tex hiking boots, and for the purpose of trekking in Colorado and having to cross multiple shallow creeks, they were worth their weight in gold. Gore Tex works. Now, whether or not it's stitched together properly by the glove or boot maker is a different issue. Maybe we need to find a supply of whatever kind of trigger mittens they're handing out in Basic Training these days.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated
'72 Yamaha RT3 endure - sold
tshelfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
bwdmax
Forum Supporter

What is the expected life of the seems on the Gore Tex? I have been wearing Gore Tex boots for years and they have all been waterproof when new. I have noticed that after about three years they begin to leak long before the boot is worn out. I also have two sets of jackets and pants that I wear for hunting in Colorado. These jackets and pants make all the difference in comfort for mountain hunting. I don't have to carry separate rain gear, I don't sweat in my rain gear, and I can sit or kneel in the snow without getting wet.

Is Gore Tex perfect? Not from my experience.
Is it expensive? Yes
Is there a better option? There are some that claim, but my testing thus far
says no.

I have been considering Gore Tex riding gear for all the reasons I like my Gore Tex hunting gear, just haven't made the leap yet. I have my eye on Ken's glove offerings. I hate cold hands. I hate wet hands. I totally hate cold wet hands.

Gary
525 EXC & 650 V-Strom (mine)
CRF150F (family) CRF110F (Daughter)
Foreman 450 (family) TRX250R (could be yours)
XR250R (Son)

http://www.matamoroschildrenshome.org/
bwdmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:36 AM   #4
tshelfer

My personal experience with the boots was 8 years. They never leaked. They met their end when the glue attaching the soles to the shoe bottom gave out, and were suddenly flapping with each step. Apparently, any shoe under about $500 has glued-on soles.

There's no such thing as perfect, but in my experience, Gore Tex is certainly better than most. They also make the best coated, long-life guitar strings money can buy. Go figure.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
Old 12-15-2016, 10:02 AM   #5
gixxerjasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelfer View Post
Maybe we need to find a supply of whatever kind of trigger mittens they're handing out in Basic Training these days.
You'd have to specify the branch. Pretty sure the Marine Corps is still issuing the same gear from the '70's. Not the same tech, but the same gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelfer View Post
They met their end when the glue attaching the soles to the shoe bottom gave out, and were suddenly flapping with each step. Apparently, any shoe under about $500 has glued-on soles.
That's not the end. Shoe Goo (couple of bucks at Walmart) will fix that right up. I reglued my Sidi soles back on and they lasted me years afterwards until the boot finally fell apart.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #6
tshelfer

Army in my case. No Gore Tex in those days. Leather/canvas trigger mittens with nasty wool inserts.

As for the boots, too late. They're deep in the Arlington landfill.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold