TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,... > Gear

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-11-2017, 04:08 PM   #1
Gourdhead

Hot Weather Jackets

Now that the truly hot weather has hit central Texas, what's everybody wearing for a jacket? And any thoughts on this one?

http://www.compacc.com/p/firstgear-m...x-jackets-2013
Gourdhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 01:01 PM   #2
julimike54
Forum Supporter

Re: Hot Weather Jackets

This is my choice and have thought it to be well made and function well. Note mine is a '4' not a '5'. I bought it to cover as many seasons or conditions as possible.

https://olympiamotosports.com/en-US/...lide-5-s-ivory

Don't know about the other product
Old 06-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #3
Jeff S
Forum Supporter

My experience is that once the air temp is above about 90, then I want the wind off my skin - so I don't get the hair dryer effect. I have a mesh jacket but put a long sleeve, wicking t-shirt (designed for fishing) under it.

From about 70 to 90, I want as much wind as possible, then under 70, I put the long sleeves on again (with more layers as needed, obviously..)
Old 06-13-2017, 02:45 PM   #4
gixxerjasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by julimike54 View Post
This is my choice and have thought it to be well made and function well. Note mine is a '4' not a '5'. I bought it to cover as many seasons or conditions as possible.

https://olympiamotosports.com/en-US/...lide-5-s-ivory

Don't know about the other product
That's the 5, he has the 4 and I think I have the 1. I have the pants too. Bought mine used and have been very happy with them. They are my go to suit for any weather that doesn't require the heated gear. Then I suit up with something that is more insulating. But the airglides and the liners keep me comfortable at least 90% of the time.

I agree with what Jeff said, but my suit still needs to breath a bit and that's hard to find so I just use the mesh suit. Soak your shirt or wear an evaporation cooling vest under the mesh suit and it's like a moist air conditioner.

I did run an off brand mesh jacket till I got the Olympia. The Olympia is much better constructed and a better overall product. Worth the splurge on it.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 07:20 PM   #5
Texas T

Full textile jacket and pants with LD Comfort full tights and long sleeve mock turtleneck.

The tights along with the full textile (not mesh) pants keeps the engine/radiator/pavement heat off my legs. The full textile jacket keeps the hot air away from my skin.

The long sleeve dual fabric top can be wet down and the moisture will remain on the outer layer and not against your skin. As you get warm you open the end of your sleeves and allow the airflow to enter your jacket through the sleeves. You keep all your vents closed and your jacket will balloon up. Open your zipper at the neck just a tad and you'll feel the warm air exiting, soon to be replaced with cooler air from the evaporative effect.

At that point, close up your sleeves, enjoy the coolness and repeat as necessary.

Coming out of Tropic UT one day when it was close to 100 we stopped at the Tropic Ditch and I laid down in the rushing water to cool off. When we got back on the bike I literally had to close up everything on the jacket because I was getting too cold.

If you follow the riders in the Iron Butt Rally you will find that the vast majority of them wear and swear by LD Comfort.

Go to the site, read the info, watch the videos, and educate yourself. The garments are not cheap, but just like folks that will wear nothing but Aerostich, sometimes the best is worth paying for.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #6
Traxx

I am wearing a Klim Apex Air jacket for the spring summer and fall.
Traxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:23 PM   #7
gixxerjasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx View Post
I am wearing a Klim Apex Air jacket for the spring summer and fall.
6 posts to go the full price spectrum.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
Traxx

It was on sale and discounted.
Traxx is offline   Reply With Quote