• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yamaha DT125

Reaction score
When did Yamaha stop making the DTs? I'm seeking a 2stroke for SHNF. And the DT seems to be the only candidate for short legged people like me. KDXs are too tall for my legs.

Late 70's, I think. The IT models were made until the early 80's, although they have a taller seat height.

I know you want a two stroke, but you would be 100X better off on a bike like a Honda crf230 than an old DT Yamaha. I know, I have an original owned-since-new 1975 DT175 sitting in my garage.

If you are bound and determined to have a two stroke and you don't have to be street legal, look at a big wheel Kawasaki KX 105. They can be found easily used, have low seat heights, and are easy to ride--the engine has decent torque and will pull you around great if you are not too heavy. The whole package is lightyears ahead of a DT

Unless I was doing some sort of vintage ride or run, I wouldn't even consider an old DT as an every day dirt bike. There are way better choices out there. I'd consider widening your parameters, but that is just me.

No, not bound to 2-strokes. Just thought it would be simplier and cheaper to maintain. And lighter, easier, to ride.

Wow, I didn't know they stop saling 'em here in the 70s. Wikipedia said they are made up until 2008 somewhere in the world.

No, not bound to 2-strokes. Just thought it would be simplier and cheaper to maintain. And lighter, easier, to ride.

Wow, I didn't know they stop saling 'em here in the 70s. Wikipedia said they are made up until 2008 somewhere in the world.

By the 80's, Yamaha's dual purpose bikes in the USA transitioned to four strokes and became the XT. You're right, they were available for a long time elsewhere.

Buy an XR200 and be done with it. Cheap, light weight, stone simple, and runs forever.

In Summer of 2010 they had new DT175's in a Yamaha shop in Antigua Guatemala. Bit of a long drive to go pick it up, though. Those things are all over Latin America.

I agree with the previous post about XR200's also.

+1 on the CRF230, I'm a big guy and had a lot of fun on one. re the old yamaha, not that it matters but wasn't the 125 the AT1? or was that the street legal version with the heavy electric start.

The 125 was the AT1. 175 was the CT1. 250 was the DT1 and I can't remember what the 360 was. And i don't remember when they changed to the DT2. The AT was electric start along with a kicker. Never could figure out why they did this. 5 bucks or so would buy a piston and rings if I remember correctly.
I would think the CT1 especially would still make a passable trail bike. But not near as good as a modern 4 stroker. Certainl better than my first dirt bike which was a CL77 aka 305 Scrambler.
Thanks for the thread. Brings back some wonderful memories.

I think the 360 was the RT1 untill 74 when they started calling it a DT as well, ditto on the memories.

Without cheating and calling in Google I think you are right about the 360 being the RT. My first motocross bike was a CT1. In 1971 or so I bought the new MX250 Yamaha from Revon Craig in Beaumont. Then an MX360. Then a 400 Maico replaced them in 1972.
But I had some wonderful times on the small Yamaha's in the dirt.

Without cheating and calling in Google I think you are right about the 360 being the RT. My first motocross bike was a CT1. In 1971 or so I bought the new MX250 Yamaha from Revon Craig in Beaumont. Then an MX360. Then a 400 Maico replaced them in 1972.
But I had some wonderful times on the small Yamaha's in the dirt.

I picked up my DT1 same time frame and place when I was going to school there. Small world.

I really liked Revon's first shop. And he also had MV Agusta and some other stuff I can't remember. I actually lived in Sulphur, LA then but Beaumont is where the better shops were at that time. They also had a good Honda shop also but Lake Charles had a pretty decent Honda place at that time.
I still keep in touch with Revon and he looks the same, just a bit older.
It is a small world. Sometimes I wonder how many people on this board I have ridden or raced with.

The DT 125 I had back in 79 was excellent at off road, sport touring, drag racing picking up chics and heading cross country when the law was after you. Yes it is a fine bike indeed.

Sold "Tweety", a very adequate DT250, for $750 a couple of years ago to make room in the garage and peace in the home. Wish I still had it.

When did Yamaha stop making the DTs? I'm seeking a 2stroke for SHNF. And the DT seems to be the only candidate for short legged people like me. KDXs are too tall for my legs.

I had a '71 AT1, 125 with electric start. My girlfriend rode it. I rode a '71 RT360 Enduro. A lot of the newer bikes can be lowered for us vertically challenged folks. Now, I ride a Suzuki DR650SE that has the factory lowering kit and factory gel seat. The seat height is now almost 4" lower than stock. I've watched some of the videos of riders at SHNF and it really doesn't look all that difficult. Some sand, but not the kind where you sink up to the rims when ya hit it and the whoops looked to be few and mild. :rider:

Back