• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Army Vent Vest for Hot Climates

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Richards
Hope this gets to Army surplus soon. It's what we need to ride in hot weather. :-)
Bill
=======================================

Deployed Soldiers Test Body Ventilation System
Army News Service | August 10, 2006
Fort Belvoir, VA. - The Army’s Rapid Equipping Force (REF) delivered 500 Body Ventilation Systems to heat-stressed Soldiers in Iraq and Kuwait last month.

The portable, lightweight ventilation system will help reduce heat-related injuries, and will undergo one of year assessments by such Soldiers as drivers, military police and machine gunners. Another 1,700 vests will be shipped and issued to Soldiers in similar units and duty positions in upcoming months.

“The BVS project is another example of how the Army culture is changing in order to provide warfighter solutions in a timely manner,” said Col. Gregory Tubbs, REF director. “It also provides another example of how much good can be accomplished when Army organizations like PEO Soldier and the Rapid Equipping Force team to help the warfighter.”

The BVS weighs less than five pounds and can be worn under body armor. Air circulates inside the vest to increase the Soldier’s comfort and performance in hot-dry climates by significantly increasing the evaporation rate.

The BVS has two main components – a Ventilation Unit (VU) and an Air Distribution Garment that looks like a vest. The VU, or blower, is a battery powered fan that can be attached in a variety of positions to meet the Soldier’s need and comfort. The filtered blower system fits neatly into a pouch and is similar to a fanny pack.

“It definitely keeps me cool,” said Sgt. Mark Waits, an M1114 gunner with the 3rd Battalion, 29th Field Artillery Regiment. “I don't feel as fatigued after a mission in the BVS.”

The BVS operates approximately 8 hours with commercial lithium rechargeable batteries, with a recharge time of 4-5 hours. Filters are the system’s primary maintenance.

"When GlobalSecure approached us with their quick, simple and reliable BVS design, I knew we could work with and count on the REF to get it to Soldiers,” said Col. Richard Hansen, director, Project Manager Soldier Warrior.

GlobalSecure was selected among other vendors for its overall quality and product design, service, timeliness and price.

The Rapid Equipping Force is committed to working with industry and governmental partners such as Soldier Warrior to develop versatile equipment that protects Soldiers and ensures their survivability and lethality.

“If the warfighters need it, then I won’t rest until I explore every option to meet those needs,” said Tubbs

Or just ride behind someone using their windshield washers...

Riding behind windshield washers is a no-go. I accidentally spayed two guys down in the Hill Country several years back. We were stopped at a light. They came up behind me, and as I was spaying my windshield, the wind pushed the spray over the top and into their faces (they had raised their shields to talk). OOPS. I had to readjust the sprayer so it hit the windshield instead of blowing over the top.
But the sprayer has soap/windex in it, so it probably hurt.
Not a good thought.
You could just pour water over you, but eventually you run out of that. And this vent system is designed to be hung on LBE. About the weight of a canteen. The new SGT could tell us what the weight would be like better. My battlefield (simulated) experiences are a few years older than he is.
:-)

Ride on, ya'll.

With a motor and blower, it'll make too much noise, when sneaking up on enemies. Or when the enemy sneaks up on you.

phuffstatler said:
With a motor and blower, it'll make too much noise, when sneaking up on enemies. Or when the enemy sneaks up on you.

I have a feeling insurgents don't like to get up close and personal. As far as sneaking up on someone, these are being deployed to people who provide support, such as drivers and heavy machine gunners.

The new SGT (I assume that's me?) has never seen, and will probably never see one of them thar new fangled devices. Best thing I found in the box were vests made out of the same stuff as those "neck cooler" deals. Wear it under your OTV and your core is cool for about 3 hours.

Back