• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

an absolute n00b in El Paso

Reaction score
First Name
James
Last Name
Carlisle
Well here goes. I am an absolute n00b to El Paso, to dual-sport riding, and to motorcycling. I am an Army guy currently deployed to Africa. The deployment is coming to an end and my next duty station is Ft. Bliss. I should be there by the end of June. Meanwhile I bought a 2007 BMW F650GS over the internet (sight unseen) with the grand plan of learning to ride it, practicing a lot, taking a few courses and then in the summer of 2015 to ride the Trans Labrador with a close friend of mine who changed my mind about this motorcycling business. If all goes well, maybe we will do the TAT in 2016.

My hobbies include classic cars and working on them (comes with the territory since my daily driver is an old British car). I could easily see getting into repairing motorcycles too and maybe collecting some interesting ones. More bikes fit in the garage than cars.

I hope to meet some folks on here and in real life that can teach me the necessary riding skills, introduce me to the great trails, and give me a sounding board for nutty ideas (such as buying a bike over the internet and riding the Trans Labrador).

I am not going to share a picture of the bike, because I still have not seen it myself, so you can rib me all you want. Hope to see you out on the trails and roads.

- James

Welcome to the forum!
Only 30 days until you see the bike....

Welcome to the site, to riding, and to Ft Bliss. I was stationed there myself (Wm Beaumont Medical Center) right after I graduated from UTEP. I loved El Paso. Don't know how much things have changed from the 70s, but hopefully there are still those countless dirt desert roads opening off Montana Street east of town, and long US 54 toward McGregor Range. And of course, less than 2 hours away, you have Cloudcroft with forest roads everywhere, as well as some of the best twisty pavement I've ever seen. The GS will be a great bike for that.

I've frankly never heard of the Trans-Labrador Highway, so I googled it and up popped some amazing pictures and one nasty bike accident. Do your homework, get your skills up, and have a good time in 2015.

Back