• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lone Star Cycle Heidenau K60 Scout

I've got 6800 miles on the front K60, and 3000 miles on the rear K60 on the little KLR. The front "sings" on the highway just like BeemerBob said, but looks like it will last forever. The rear will probably go 6 or 7000 miles before needing replacement on my bike. Time will tell. I like the rear a bunch, especially off-road but the front is sort of a glorified street tire. It WILL lose grip in a gravel corner, and does not feel good in the sand, either. I need to get my money out of it, but will probably not buy another front K60. A TKC may be the next purchase for the front. :sun:

Heidenau update:
I got 7500 miles out the rear K60, and at about 6000 miles took it to Big Bend where it performed wonderfully on the road and through 110 miles of the Desert Challenge. This is THE tire I would put on for a long multi-state or out of country adventure. I have to mention that the sidewalls are uber-stiff and a bit tough to work with........good news is you probably won't have to mess with it much. This is a $150.00 tire. I never had a flat on this tire.
I replaced the front K60 with a new Dunlop D606 for Big Bend, and have since replaced the K60 after that trip. The front is at almost 12,000 miles and is holding up well. I have "ride-on" in both tubes, and the front is NOT cupped or deformed in any way, my previous post was a bit negative on his tire because it does not stick like a 606 off-road, which is still very true, but a 606 tire will not give this length of service while commuting and working off my bike. I can blast the gravel straights as fast as I want, just slow down for the corners with this tire. This is a lightweight tire, very easy to mount. This is a $110.00 front tire. I have never had a flat with this tire.
I will report again here once more when the K60 front finally wears out! :sun:

I have the Heidenau tire on my f800GS. Very happy, with the tire on the street or dirt roads.

I went through three K60's on the rear and two on the front during my trip through South and Central America averaging about 8,000 miles per tire. I have to say it was a great durable tire for the ride with some great mileage, but I struggled with the feel and the balance of the tire during the entire time. Every one was not exactly round on the wheel, which made from some bumpy rides. If it weren't for the fact that I needed the mileage, I certainly would have tried something else.

Now that I am back, I plan to use my KTM 990 Adventure for more dirt and less highway, so I may be looking at something more like the TKC's.

I put a set of new Metzler Karoo 3's on m R1200GS. Got about 1000 miles on them and so far no complaints. A little noiser than the Tourance, but that was expected. Sure footed on pavement and much better in the dirt. They are pricey though.

Needing new tires on the supermoto and after reading some of y'alls suggestions I just Installed the TKC on the front...

20130829_200737_zpscbbfcf97.jpg

....and the K60 on the rear. Nice to find a 50/50 in 150/70-17. :clap:

20130829_200818_zps59715fe4.jpg

Needing new tires on the supermoto and after reading some of y'alls suggestions I just Installed the TKC on the front...

20130829_200737_zpscbbfcf97.jpg

....and the K60 on the rear. Nice to find a 50/50 in 150/70-17. :clap:

20130829_200818_zps59715fe4.jpg

I see a new chain in the box...yer 650 will feel like a new bike!
:sun:

RMAN, that's gonna take all the slip-slidin' skidish fun out of gravel roads the other tires provided.

Now you'll have traction! :rider:
Yeah, I could sure drift into those corners. :trust: People thought I was nuts :loco: anyway for riding with those Distanzias on gravel but they actually performed quite admirably, gravel had a tendency to chew 'em to pieces though. Then I guess there's always that 90% rider...... equation that you have to factor in. :rofl:....:nana:

Last edited:
Well I love the K60 on the front of my F650 but the T63 on the rear still has one trip to Mena left on it before I replace it. Then it's K60 time, either 140 if it'll fit or the tried and true 130. T63 should have about 5500 on it when I replace it but will still be usuable, just not a good spring rain tire by then.

The front K60 now has 16,550 miles on it and is finally nearing the wear bars, will be replaced this weekend. Cupping and deforming of this tire has been minimal, and I have never had a flat with this tire. For commuting, I am going back to a 17" front with a Shinko 705.......a super retard? :lol2:
Please remember that LSBMW has all these Heidenau tires in stock! :sun:

Mine's been installed for over a year now, lots of gravel and very little wear. Seemed to take forever to scrub in but I'm quite pleased with it now. Maybe it's just me but it took some getting used to.
Fair warning, it was no cakewalk to install, I dread the day I have a flat in the boondocks but I'll frame the nail that punches through it and give it a place of honor out in the shop. That is a tough, thick slab of rubber.

Mine's been installed for over a year now, lots of gravel and very little wear.

How many miles does "lots of gravel" equate to? Done any wet pavement riding yet? I've read reports that it is less than stellar under that condition. Also the rear tire reportedly squares off rather badly when it gets down to <50% treadlife.

_

How many miles does "lots of gravel" equate to? Done any wet pavement riding yet? I've read reports that it is less than stellar under that condition. Also the rear tire reportedly squares off rather badly when it gets down to <50% treadlife.

_
I guess I got about 1000 miles on it, 50% gravel. I tend to avoid wet conditions (particularly cold, wet conditions as it's been lately :lol2:) but I have ridden in rain last summer and the tire didn't draw any attention to itself. I'll admit I was hardly knee dragging the twisties. It's an average tire that seems to be wearing quite well. :shrug:

I guess I got about 1000 miles on it, 50% gravel. I tend to avoid wet conditions (particularly cold, wet conditions as it's been lately :lol2:) but I have ridden in rain last summer and the tire didn't draw any attention to itself. I'll admit I was hardly knee dragging the twisties. It's an average tire that seems to be wearing quite well. :shrug:

1000 miles this past year :huh: Did you rent it out to someone :rofl:.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:duck:

1000 miles this past year :huh: Did you rent it out to someone :rofl:.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................:duck:
In my best teenager impression...Ohhhh Puhleeeeeezze. :roll:

Maybe Rman was reading in kilometers ?? LoL. [emoji12][emoji12][emoji12]

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

Back