• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DS windscreens

Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Muxworthy
Doing some Mods to the XR650L & installed a windscreen but not sure I like it.
Anyone have a windscreen on a "naked" dual sport & what do you think ?
My observations:
Pros - less wobble & very stable at 70 mph & less wind on the face of my helmet. Bugs & dust deflected up.
Cons - close to my face it seems & won't be pretty in a crash. Some buffeting winds depending on speed.
:ponder:

Attachments

• 20150625_161004.jpg
    20150625_161004.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 189
I have a National Cycle screen and cut it down a good bit with a jigsaw. Covered the area to be cut, as well as the jigsaw foot, with blue painter's tape for protection from scratches. It turned out really well, and now I don't feel like it will decapitate me in a mishap :eek2: It still does a good job of deflecting wind on the highway.

I have a National Cycle screen and cut it down a good bit with a jigsaw. Covered the area to be cut, as well as the jigsaw foot, with blue painter's tape for protection from scratches. It turned out really well, and now I don't feel like it will decapitate me in a mishap :eek2: It still does a good job of deflecting wind on the highway.

I guess it is something you get used to. I had to cut the bottom of this one in the same manner you described just so I could get the angle about the same ad the fork rake. Not being used to it I wonder if it really does any good. Guess I try it for a few trips & decide.
Thanks for the opinion.

I guess it is something you get used to. I had to cut the bottom of this one in the same manner you described just so I could get the angle about the same ad the fork rake. Not being used to it I wonder if it really does any good. Guess I try it for a few trips & decide.
Thanks for the opinion.

It's been a few months now, how are you liking the windscreen now? Did you do any trimming to it or anything else, yet? I have a XR650L and have thought about adding a windscreen, just haven't done it yet. Wanting to find out about other's experiences with them first.

Do you know of anyone this has happened too? Have you ever actually heard of it happening, whether you knew the person or not?

No. Just kidding. But my helmet has hit the handlebar during narly offroad stuff. So, the threat of injury is no joke. I would definitely want to make it easily removeable, so you'll not be tempted to leave it on when the going gets rough.

Last edited:
http://www.ceebaileys.com/suzuki/dr650z400ws.html

I added the Cee Baily "sport" model to the headlight cowling of my DR650 for the Idaho BDR because I thought we would slab it back south from Canada. The little windshield helped break the wind at higher speeds. The cowling really needs some support with it. If you do highway travel at higher speeds youll appreciate it. I actually prefer to ride without the screen.

I have tried a coupe of different ones on the XR and the WR and the last one has a nice layer of dust on it somewhere in my barn. It did help at highway speeds once it was adjusted. Having a way to remove it at camp would make it much more useful once you are at your destination. Takes away the chances of damaging it or yourself in the fun stuff.

It took a period of adjustment for me to feel comfortable with the small Cee Baily on the rough dirt roads we were on. Once I adjusted, it was fine. I would have prefered riding on the dirt roads without it. However, it did a nice job of directing the wind(and bugs to a degree) over my head. Additionally, a good windscreen will reduce rider fatigue on the highway at higher speeds. I think it woumd be tough to ride in Texas heat at high speeds without. The blast would tire and dehydrate you quickly.

I`m just curious as to how many miles y'all are riding to need a windscreen? I don't see me ever getting used top one on my XR.

Back