• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DS helmet reviews???

I just can't wrap my mind around the whole "quiet helmet" thing. It's a motorcycle. The extra wind noise this helmet may generate over a modular or street helmet is completely negligible when you consider the fact that I'm on an xr400 dirtbike, with exhaust modifications to (in part) make the bike a bit more noticeable audibly.

Basically...
I made the my street legal dirtbike louder, before installing stiffer springs. Lol. If comfort and quietness are to be any part of the equation, well...

... I'm doing it wrong

To each his own... I always ride with ear plugs and don't enjoy being exposed to high decibel sound. For me the enjoyment of motorcycling doesn't include loudness, but I can understand others not having an issue with it.

I just can't wrap my mind around the whole "quiet helmet" thing. It's a motorcycle. The extra wind noise this helmet may generate over a modular or street helmet is completely negligible when you consider the fact that I'm on an xr400 dirtbike, with exhaust modifications to (in part) make the bike a bit more noticeable audibly.

Basically...
I made the my street legal dirtbike louder, before installing stiffer springs. Lol. If comfort and quietness are to be any part of the equation, well...

... I'm doing it wrong

Last edited:
The ratcheting strap is hands down the coolest thing on this helmet. I never want to go back. I have a bad habit if putting my gloves on before my helmet. It's no problem with this.

I agree... the ratcheting system on the chin strap is downright awesome.

As far as "why have a DS helmet"? My answer is simple. When I ride off-road, my helmet is going to hit stuff. Trees, rocks, dirt, etc. They may be minor scrapes, but I would rather ding up a $120 DS helmet than a nice looking, expensive street oriented helmet.

DS helmets usually vent better than street helmets at lower speeds, which is REAL important when riding slow in warm/hot weather. Better venting almost always means louder at high speeds, but I wear ear plugs and don't really notice that issue.

The DS duck bill is nice for blocking the sunlight with a slight tilt of the head. It also can affect the venting by catching and directing air to the vents.

The ability to wear goggles with the DS helmet is nice for those roads where the dust just gets into everything. I used to wear a street helmet for DS riding and this got real annoying. I rarely use goggles, but when I need them, it is nice to be able to put them on and go.

I have the Arai DS helmet. I like it except for two things.

The visor is a pain to remove. Riding in the dirt gets it dirty. Cleaning it without removing it is a pain, particularly on the inside. I would prefer the quick release style of Shoei. Also, this makes swapping from clear to dark screens a pain. So I wear sunglasses in the helmet. I don't like wearing glasses in helmets.

Second, the helmet has a NASTY whistle unless I hold my head just right. Apparently, not ALL of them do this. I am just one of the lucky ones :roll:

Since I have the expensive Aria, the lower price argument is not relevant for me, but I can understand why it would be for others.

I have contemplated wearing my fly trekker with the street bike. it is a much cooler helmet than my Shoei and I got the black one.

it also has a bigger opening for much better visability.

I have a Caberg Tourmax. It's a modular DS helmet and so far has done a great job. Fit is firm and chin bar is real close, but after the cheek pads have worn in it fits better. Price is comparable with others of similar quality. It's an import from Italy and don't think there is a US supplier or even if they've paid for DOT certification, but it has all the Euro approvals. I based my decision off of the Webbikeworld.com review.

Sent from my QMV7B using Tapatalk

I know this is an old thread, but I still have a question. What are everyone's thoughts on the new Schubert E1 DS helmet. Is it worth the extra money? I was planning to pickup either a new MSR or AFX 41 but after seeing the promo materials for the new Schubert it's got me wondering if it's worth THAT much extra money?

I know this is an old thread, but I still have a question. What are everyone's thoughts on the new Schubert E1 DS helmet. Is it worth the extra money? I was planning to pickup either a new MSR or AFX 41 but after seeing the promo materials for the new Schubert it's got me wondering if it's worth THAT much extra money?

Probably not @ $8xx.

Get the AFX/FLY/MSR for now. The AFX has the cool ratcheting strap. I love mine.

6d will launch their DS product line later this year. Best helmet money can buy. Google them

I ended up getting the MSR Expedition. Cycle Gear is running a sale right now, it's only $97 bucks. I figure it's worth a shot.

Tourmeister:

I have the Arai XD4 and had a very obnoxious high pitched whistle off the visor. I took it apart and placed strips of Velcro, the loop side, on the bottom helmet side edge of the visor. This acted as a vortex generator of sorts and took the whistle out. Now it is straight up wind noise but not that horrid whistle. Give it a try.

Back