• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beta 500 RS/RR

We are not talking about a KTM here anyway ...We are talking about a dual sport bike not a race bike

Whatchoo talkin' about, Maynard? Let me buy you a beer, and you sit back and drink it and read this:

Rich Dozier has a ride report called Riding Little Pigs in Baja. I read that report and had TJ's build me pretty much the same bike, below:

RIMG0082-L.jpg

Rode that bike deep into the wilds of Mexico from McAllen, to a point just about 100 miles from Mexico City.

Top Mods:

(1) Acerbis 5.3 tank
(2) Scotts Damper
(3) Promoto Billet Rack
(4) Giant Loop bags (both sizes for different expeditions)
(5) Seat Concepts
(6) Baja Designs Squadron LED
(7) Rekluse Clutch

Those are the main ones.

And no, you don't have to fill 5.3 gallons of fuel if you don't need it. I get that question about fuel weight all the time. Long trips into the unknown outback and riders are strapping Rotopax on their tails anyways when they need extra gas, I just fill the tank. The weight argument is moot.

Power: The fuel injected engine is a monster and when combined with the Rekluse, you can grind up any rocky grade like a tractor. Power for days and fast on the highway.

Oil changes: another question asked all the time. I just change oil between trips, never worry about it "out on the trail" All my KTM dual sport buds say the same thing.

The thing rips like a race bike and hauls like a mule.

I gave it the tough test in Mexico and will tell you, I wouldn't have any other bike for back country riding down there, Baja, Big Bend, Texas Hill Country, etc. The bike you see pictured has been to all those places as a dual sport and more.

I'm taking it to Colorado at the end of the summer to do COBDR.

So yes, when talking about a KTM 500 you can be talking about a dual sport, and in my opinion probably the best bike for the job out there.

...We are not talking about a KTM here anyway so why do you bring that up? We are talking about a dual sport bike not a race bike so why talk about uncorking it? ..

Whatchoo talkin' about, Maynard? Let me buy you a beer, and you sit back and drink it and read this:..

Trice you quoted me out of context and thereby misunderstood. I was replying in response to this thread only which is about the Beta dual sport bike so stated that to the other person posting about a KTM (no specific model identified by him other than that) and about an EFI race bike. He did not tie the two together, two separate comments.

Now appears you put the two together. I say appears because I didn't read your entire post, I already know KTM makes good dual sports. This thread was started by someone that already considered them but decided on a Beta instead and was asking for anyone that had experience with the Beta.

_

Back