• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2018 Mextrek #7, June 14th - 17th 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a mostly street rider, and I'm in. Will be doing light off-roading too. Wader

Re: 2018 Mextrek #7, June 7th - 10th 2018

Will there be any street bike riders on this trip?

Wade R will be on his street tire adventure bike. He joined us last year and rode mainly street with a bit of flat class 1 gravel thrown in. What bike are you thinking of riding?

Attached here are historical temperature maps for Galeana, McAllen, and Monterrey. As you can see, anything that is not in the mountains can be pretty darn warm in summer.

Last June 11th Sid, Fang, and I stayed overnight in Linares after a car drive from San Antonio, TX. Linares is a medium sized town on the exit route of Mextrek, nestled up against the mountains, but still at low elevation. After a swim in the pool and a Pina Colada it was still pretty hot, we sat under a fan at dinner at 8 PM and attempted to not sweat. The whole coastal plain can heat up and feels about like Houston.

Of course, a 7 AM departure with a smaller group of riders means eating an early lunch at the edge of the mountains around 10 AM and by the time the sun is getting high we are blasting up towards Rayones and the upper 70's of the 5000+ foot mountain towns. Don't forget your sweater, it is still nice and cool at night, high 50's even.

Biggest bonus:

Mextrek #6 Oct 26th 2017: Sunrise 7:44, Sunset 7:04

Daylgiht: 11hrs, 20 minutes :giveup:

Mextrek #7 June 14th, 2018: Sunrise 6:50, Sunset 8:30

Daylight: 13 hours, 40 minutes :sun:

So, yes, you read it right: We get an extra 2 hrs and 20 minutes of daylight to ride! :rider:

Attachments

• Galeana Temps.jpg
    Galeana Temps.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 549
  • McAllen Temps.jpg
    McAllen Temps.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 507
  • Monterrey Temps.jpg
    Monterrey Temps.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
INFORBIRTHDAYWEEKENDINMEXICOOOOOWOOOOOO!!!11

I may show up in my 17" sumo trim and carve up the twisty paved roads. We'll see.

I may show up in my 17" sumo trim and carve up the twisty paved roads. We'll see.

He's lying....he's gonna go with 17's, carve asphalt, run some class 4's at Mach 5 speeds, and wheelie past an indigenenenous village throwing candy :zen:

Fox: "What!? You've never heard of the Durnkey? It's the bike that made the Mextrek Run in less than 12 parsecs"

Pedro: "What a piece of junk!"

Fox: "She'll make point five past loco-gringo-speed. She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts, kid!"

Fox: "I made a lot of special modifications myself".

Pedro: "Mmmm, yes, yes we see that..."

Its Fox's 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' hat that makes me think of Harrison Ford, Star Wars, and the Millennium Falcon.

Last edited:
Also me: that was a class 4? .... Let's do it again.

T-138 day update emailed to all rider who paid and filled out the google form!

justin b....

Peter

It took me a week or so but the public shaming finally got to me [emoji846] google form complete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what are the cost's, lodging and meals and incidentals, that would be normal for this ride. I'm just trying to wade thru all the posts to see if I want to ge involved.

Oops, I just realized that I'm going to Mexico in July, so as much as I would like to go on this one, I'll have to pass. But the July trip to Chihuahua and then over to Baja California will suffice.

Last edited:
So what are the cost's, lodging and meals and incidentals, that would be normal for this ride. I'm just trying to wade thru all the posts to see if I want to ge involved.

Oops, I just realized that I'm going to Mexico in July, so as much as I would like to go on this one, I'll have to pass. But the July trip to Chihuahua and then over to Baja California will suffice.

These are often asked questions and I guess need a good response. I budget $50 a day for expenses while in Mexico to ride, eat, drink, party, see sights, buy gas, buy a few nicknacks, pay tolls, etc... If you go hog wild, or like your high end liquor or fine dining, $75 will do.

For this 5 day trip I would plan on:

Lodging, based on double occupancy: Clarion: $35 USD Magdelena: $15 x 3 = $45 USD Total $80 USD

Permits: TVIP $50 Visa (7 days free) $0

Gas: 500 miles / 10 MPLiter (37 MPG) = 50 liters @ 18 pesos / liter = $900 Pesos = $45 USD

Food: US: Welcome dinner: $20 USD In Mexico: Breakfast $5 Lunch $5 Dinner + Drinks $10 = $20 / day * 4 = $80 USD

Grand total: Trip $25, Lodging $80, Bike $95, Food: $100 = $300 ($60 a day)

I recommend bringing / having available $500 USD so you can do whatever you want, buy whatever you like, drink whatever you please, eat till you can't eat no more, see everything there is to see, ride as far as you want, get a private room when your roommate snores, buy a new tire, pay for a tow, and get out of a speeding ticket. $250 in cash will cover a normal trip. $250 you can get from an ATM if the need arises.

Last edited:
NEW FOR 2018: We will use the Whatsapp application to keep in touch as a group both before, during, and after the trip. Whatsapp requires only a wifi connection for group messaging, pictures, and video so it is perfect in Mexico. We used this on our 2017 trip and with probably 500+ group messages it is a great way to stay in touch with the riders on the group. As you register (even if you aren't paying yet) I will add you to the whatsapp group "Mextrek Amigos".

Looking for someone who wants/needs a ride to Mission. I am leaving from Austin on 06-13 and returning on 06-17. Going to trailer my bike and I have room for 1-2 more bikes/riders. Just looking for someone to pay for gas. Let me know. Frank (512)789-677nine

Hey there,

New to the site and would like to sign up for this trip. I've got a '14 DL1000A that's screaming to get on the dirt.
I'm not new to trail riding and last year I did a 4K mile trip to the west coast, so I do have riding experience.
Hope you guys don't mind some questions I may have. Do you guys meet to ride around Austin? I'd like to meet some of you guys before the trip if possible.
My bike has Shinko 705's on now. How hard are the trails? Is this good enough? From some of the pictures, it looks to be ok, but I wanted to check.

Hope to see you all soon.

Fabio

Attachments

• Sequoia national park.jpg
    Sequoia national park.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 551
I expect those tires will limit your choice of ride routes; I’d be MUCH happier with tires that are 50-50 road/dirt vs. the 80-20 705s. You should order a copy of the MexTrek guide here: http://www.texasadventure.net/cool-stuff/ride-guides/ - as that will give you good insight about route options & conditions. I’m not in Austin otherwise I’d be happy to meet up.

Hi Guys

I am getting in on this one too; I would be interested in catching a ride with someone where our paths meet. I am in Hemphill TX; if anyone is interested LMK?

Hey there,

New to the site and would like to sign up for this trip. I've got a '14 DL1000A that's screaming to get on the dirt.
I'm not new to trail riding and last year I did a 4K mile trip to the west coast, so I do have riding experience.
Hope you guys don't mind some questions I may have. Do you guys meet to ride around Austin? I'd like to meet some of you guys before the trip if possible.
My bike has Shinko 705's on now. How hard are the trails? Is this good enough? From some of the pictures, it looks to be ok, but I wanted to check.

Hope to see you all soon.

Fabio

Hi Fabio, you should have come to the Monthly Meet and Greet last night. We could have answered all your questions over beer and wings.

Austin Monthly Meet and Greet

You can still come out Saturday to the TARA Monthly Dual Sport Ride tomorrow.

Austin TARA Monthly Ride

I expect those tires will limit your choice of ride routes; I’d be MUCH happier with tires that are 50-50 road/dirt vs. the 80-20 705s. You should order a copy of the MexTrek guide here: http://www.texasadventure.net/cool-stuff/ride-guides/ - as that will give you good insight about route options & conditions. I’m not in Austin otherwise I’d be happy to meet up.

I might change them to some 60/40 tires and try to sell the Shinkos. The front tire has almost no wear and the rears are at about 40% now (about 6000 miles in them)

I just ordered the guide.

Hi Guys

I am getting in on this one too; I would be interested in catching a ride with someone where our paths meet. I am in Hemphill TX; if anyone is interested LMK?

I am planning to ride down from Austin.

Hi Fabio, you should have come to the Monthly Meet and Greet last night. We could have answered all your questions over beer and wings.

Austin Monthly Meet and Greet

You can still come out Saturday to the TARA Monthly Dual Sport Ride tomorrow.

Austin TARA Monthly Ride

Oh shoot. I didn't know that. I may stop by tomorrow at the gas station. I can't attend the ride. I will be in a black Vstrom.

Gina and I are going to meet the group in Llano and just ride the northern part of the loop. Richard should be at the gas station at hwy 12 and Hamilton pool road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back