• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

injury info- kids on 4 wheelers

Reaction score
First Name
rick
Last Name
hirsch
Hey, Does anyone have any links to accident/injury stats on kids riding 4 wheelers. I guy I work with wants to buy his boy a Four-wheeler for his 6th b-day. I said get a helmet to go with it. His response was; "He won't wear a bicycle helmet, besides I'll get one that won't go very fast". I told him to get one with the remote control and stop it if the son won't wear a helmet. I could tell he didn't think a helmet was necessary. Maybe a print out of injury stats will open his eyes.
I know, you can lead a horse to water..., hopefully some info will do some good. RH

My son was the same way, till the thing dumped him and now he will not ride without gear. He has even started putting one on when he is on his bike.

It's funny, I don't worry so much when riding a dirt/trail bike, but 4-wheelers scare the stuffin outta me.:eek2: I supposes it because I know of way too many folks (both kids and adults) who have been seriously hurt, paralyzed or killed on them.

IMHO, anyone who lets their child ride one w/o a helmet isn't looking out for their kid very well in addition to teaching them some bad habits.:shame:

A couple of years ago my Son was looking at a small 4-wheeler for my Grandson at a local Honda dealer. The sales guy told my Son he would really rather not sell him a 4-wheeler for a child with no experience because of the incidences of injury. His position was that a CRF50 was much safer because of the difference in size and weight if it landed on top of him, so that is what my Son bought instead. Has worked out good so far, but my Son will not let him ride without a helmet, gloves and a chest protector.

Wayne

I am a plastic surgeon and I have lunch daily with my good friend a neurosurgeon working as a pediatric neuro.surgeon at Hermann-Memorial in Houston. We discuss very sad tales about children and 4 wheelers far too often. They are very dangerous, they are driven inappropriately far too often, they are wrongly percieved to be safe by parents and children and the injuries the children sustain leave them paralyzed or organ donors far too often. Put a child on a dirt bike with gear any day rather day a 4 wheeler.

Back