• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Greetings from Seabrook

swebb002

My Email is Dead!
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Last Name
webb
I've been in the area for 16 years, but just recently had occassion to get back into the bikker mode. I've owned a Trail 90 and a Honda cb350-4 in the past. I joined the group in order to get some assistance on my current bike needs. I need transport that can be hauled on my boat, which dictates low weight. I also want to be able to go twoup, and because of past experience with the ct90, I would like to be able to get freeway speeds with twoup. The best compromise seems to be Suzuki drz400S/Kawaklr400SE or maybe a Ninja 250. I can't find much about twoup on the su/kawa's and there seems tobe a lot of complaint about the seating for the primarry rider. My use would be about 95% street, maybe 5% off road. I also am having difficult even viewing the 400's. Dealers don't have them. Same with the Ninjette. Looking for anybody who has either in the area so I can at least look and make judgements. Have made some forray's into ebay which end up being cross-country jaunts. Any help is appreciated.

Steve

Howdy and welcome Steve.

Sorry I'm not qualified to answer your inquiry, but as a local neighbor, I wanted to welcome you to the fray. Actually, it's a really good group.
Enjoy your stay and drop by a Clear Lake bike nite sometime!

Howdy Steve, welcome to the site :wave:

Light + two up + freeway speeds = tough!!

:tab The problem with any of the DS 400's is they just aren't really setup in terms of suspension to handle two up riding at highway speeds. The same is true of most of the 250-500cc street bikes. This is especially true if you and your passenger weigh much more than 300lbs combined. You might be able to put a really stiff spring on the back to help, but then there is still the issue of power. Of course the power issue is all a matter of what you are used to. After all, how many pictures have we all seen of entire families riding on a single scooter ;-)

:tab My KLR 650 could do 70mph two up but I have upgraded the suspension. I would not want to go long distances on it. Cruising at 55-60mph would not be too bad though. Pretty much all of the seats on the DS bikes are not real comfy. I have a corbin for my KLR and it is okay, but not great. The Suz DR650 might be a decent choice. It is air cooled, easy to work on (screw tappet valves instead of shims). I think it is a little bit lighter than the KLR's. There is also a KLR 250 and the Super Sherpa (fancy KLR 250). For more power and lighter weight, you might look at DS'ing a full on dirt bike and maybe upgrading the suspension to handle the extra weight. They will require more engine maintenance though as they are a little more high strung, KTM's in particular.

Plus you need it to built totally our of stainless or anodized aluminum so that it won't rust to oblivion while at sea.

There again, stainless and light don't usually coexist.

Welcome to the site.

What kind of boat are you hauling this bike on? QE2?

Squidward and I rode two-up on my silver 2004 Ninja 250 one time.

Just one time.

We had that suspension loaded to the max, I'm glad we didn't have to go far and it was relatively low speeds (read: not highway riding).

I wouldn't suggest that long term.

Thanks for the reply. Local transport limits would likely be 50 mi or so. No intent for long distance touring. Suspension upgrades, I believe, are a given. Twoup weight wold likely be 350# or so, ( with me as the main contributor). I've looked the dirt bike to DS mods possiblities and don't find a "good" solution. I appreciate your views on the "tenderness" of the dirt bikes.

Its a 50ft. trawler style, just short of QE2 specs. on materials specs for a bike, no SS or Al, just as much plastic as possible. Also maintained paint, oil coating, and frequent OSFO. I had a friend with a 68' steel hull tha turn orange every time he took it offshore. He bought OSFO by the case.

Thanks for the psot

Thanks for the reply. I got the same reaction from a dealer about twoup/freeway. My intent is not for touring, but for local transport while in port. Years back, I used the CT90 for this kind of thing. Work fine except for the need to pick and choose surface routing to avoid freeways. The CT90 configuration with a 350/+ cc engine would be ideal, hence the effort to look for something that could be pushed in that direction

Back