• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Fireant camp stove

Hi Elzi.

Have you ever checked out the Coleman Exponent or Sportster. Bit more pricey but runs on unleaded gas, just like your bike and has no problem with low temps and doesn't cop an attitude with altitude.

(see what I did there)...

Last edited:
Hi Elzi.

Have you ever checked out the Coleman Exponent or Sportster. Bit more pricey but runs on unleaded gas, just like your bike and has no problem with low temps and doesn't cop an attitude with altitude.

(see what I did there)...
I did! :-P

Actually, using small sticks for fuel is appealing. I would prefer getting away from using gas in any form, and scavenging twigs and small dead vegetation is almost aways an option.

Plus a small heater might draw the wildlife so we can tell stories around the 'campfire'. Like the chipmunk that crawled onto my blanketed lap and this bluebird that hung out over my chair. ;)

DSC00704-M.jpg

Although I cringe at the word 'fireant', this baby looks promising.
My last camping adventure at 8,000 feet and 26 degrees F convinced me I need a better camp stove. This might be the ticket.

Anyone used this before?
Emberlit's Fireant collapsible camp stove.

http://emberlit.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=52

I've seen a similar design online several times (like close enough that one of them was probably changed just enough to avoid a patent infringement suit - I think it was from a N. European source). As long as twigs and such are available, you're good to go, and folding flat (/disassembling to fold flat) is a big plus in my book.

I've seen a similar design online several times (like close enough that one of them was probably changed just enough to avoid a patent infringement suit - I think it was from a N. European source). As long as twigs and such are available, you're good to go, and folding flat (/disassembling to fold flat) is a big plus in my book.
absolutely!!
Even in the high desert there were sagebrush twigs available. As well as dried pronghorn pellets (scat) which burns, too.

Some claim this stove even supports a small Dutch oven. I like that idea for when truck camping.

I own this stove, and a Vargo.
The Emberlit is a very nice stove. Packs flat , can fit in your tankbag. Can place quite a bit of wood in it. Sturdy and holds heat well. It's a little persnickerty putting it together, then your hands get black from soot once you are ready to put it away. Sharp edges that you need to be careful with. Overall it's a great stove though.
I do prefer my Vargo since it's all hinged, but it's not as big as the Emberlite.
Yes, contact Zephyr, he has multiple wood stoves and he uses them daily! He can give you a great rundown!

I have four or five of the small wood camping stoves. I like fire and consider them entertaining. Carolyn did seem a little bothered by the soot in my ear yesterday at lunch in Clifton. I didn't bother me because I couldn't see it ;-)

I really like messing with them. I cook several cups of tea on mine everyday. Most camper won't mess with them because soot will end up on your hands, clothes, face, camping gear,...

Try one and see if you can handle the soot. That's the limiting factor in using one.

I really like messing with them. I cook several cups of tea on mine everyday. Most camper won't mess with them because soot will end up on your hands, clothes, face, camping gear,...

Try one and see if you can handle the soot. That's the limiting factor in using one.
Soot? I get mud, grease, mud, blacking, mud, and bird poop on me nearly every day. I can handle soot. It blends in. ;-)

Guess I'll order one of these stoves then. Planning a cold camping trip again soon. Might even use it for hot cocoa on duck banding days when we're cold and wet. (Can it be used on a truck tailgate?)

I own this stove, and a Vargo.
The Emberlit is a very nice stove. Packs flat , can fit in your tankbag. Can place quite a bit of wood in it. Sturdy and holds heat well. It's a little persnickerty putting it together, then your hands get black from soot once you are ready to put it away. Sharp edges that you need to be careful with. Overall it's a great stove though.
I do prefer my Vargo since it's all hinged, but it's not as big as the Emberlite.
Yes, contact Zephyr, he has multiple wood stoves and he uses them daily! He can give you a great rundown!
Thanks!

For use on a tailgate I would recommend a Solo Titan or a Silver fire Scout. Both of those have closed bottoms and circulate air there that keeps the bottom fairly cool.

For use on a tailgate I would recommend a Solo Titan or a Silver fire Scout. Both of those have closed bottoms and circulate air there that keeps the bottom fairly cool.
the Fireant has an upper tray for small fuel canisters. That might allow use of the stove on a metal table or tailgate?

Now I can see why you have more than one stove. :)

Last edited:
I have four or five of the small wood camping stoves. I like fire and consider them entertaining. Carolyn did seem a little bothered by the soot in my ear yesterday at lunch in Clifton. I didn't bother me because I couldn't see it ;-)

Zephyr to the rescue.:clap: He knows his stoves.

Some wood stoves manufacturers sell alcohol burners for use in their stoves. I've never used them. Alcohol works but your can't see the flames. I like big, yellow flames. Alcohol approaches the convenience of propane canisters. That's too easy. I want to cook on a fire I made from found wood. Just my thing. For tailgate use, I would buy a 12"x12"x1" concrete paver and put your stove on that.

I recently bought a Solo Camper. It's designed for 4 campers. Today I boiled a dozen eggs. It took awhile, used a lot of wood, and was a satisfying process. I used a blue enamel camping pot. Soot doesn't stick to it like it does to an aluminum pot.

I'll probably buy a Silver Fire Hunter soon. Wood stoves are fun.

Some wood stoves manufacturers sell alcohol burners for use in their stoves. I've never used them. Alcohol works but your can't see the flames. I like big, yellow flames. Alcohol approaches the convenience of propane canisters. That's too easy. I want to cook on a fire I made from found wood. Just my thing. For tailgate use, I would buy a 12"x12"x1" concrete paver and put your stove on that.

I recently bought a Solo Camper. It's designed for 4 campers. Today I boiled a dozen eggs. It took awhile, used a lot of wood, and was a satisfying process. I used a blue enamel camping pot. Soot doesn't stick to it like it does to an aluminum pot.

I'll probably buy a Silver Fire Hunter soon. Wood stoves are fun.

:photo:No picture means it never happened.:-P

For tailgate use, I would buy a 12"x12"x1" concrete paver and put your stove on that. .......
.......Wood stoves are fun.
I cooked and heated with wood stoves in the Maine backwoods for 10 years. They don't hold that same charm for me as much as they do you. ;)

The concrete paver is a good idea for truck camping. The small canister burners would really suit duck banding mornings.

And, yeah; porcelain coookwear and cast iron rock.

Thanks for your input! (Do they call you Mr. Stove, too?) ;-)

Back