• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New to Bikes ... Itching to get out

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I bought a F650GS 05 from Lone Star back in November. I have been using the bike every day for commuting and I love it. So much better than being caged.

I am hoping I can find some newbies around the area to ride with and slowly start going off the pavement and into the more adventure stuff.

I will be posting pics soon.
:rider::rider:

Welcome to the site. I commented on your post in the Big Bend ride thread. The Texas Adventure ride in Junction coming up in April is a good ride too.

I haven't been getting out much on the dirt roads lately, partially because of a new bike that had street tires and I wasn't ready to risk dropping it yet. It has better tires on it for dirt and I've had 10 months to wear the new off so I'm starting to hit dirt with it. And since I was enjoying that bike so much, my DR didn't get ridden much. That too is about to change.

Anyway, watch the dual sport section for upcoming rides. Quite often some groups heading for some of the pie runs will find dirt roads. Or at least back roads.

Welcome. If you go to Big Ben I can lead you on an easy ride on Saturday. Hope to see you at KKKK.

I will not be going to Big Bend. I am hoping I can go to the TAR in Junction. Any suggestions to where one can go on free dirt roads/trails around town.

Maybe more people will read this post and will be in my same situation and we all can go play around at the hill country.

My mistake on mentioning Big Bend. I was not paying attention to which thread I was reading this morning when I first responded.

Oh well, good thing I wasn't doing any admin work or who knows what i might have deleted. :doh:

Hello Everyone,

I bought a F650GS 05 from Lone Star back in November. I have been using the bike every day for commuting and I love it. So much better than being caged.

I am hoping I can find some newbies around the area to ride with and slowly start going off the pavement and into the more adventure stuff.

I will be posting pics soon.
:rider::rider:

Abuelito ; hello there.... I been trying to learn about the F650gs and I'm little confused with the years, cylinders, engines names and so on are you familiar with the changes they have done and do you know whats the difference between the G650 gs and the F650gs for what I have read seems that the twin engine have leaking problems? will appreciate any feedback

Abuelito ; hello there.... I been trying to learn about the F650gs and I'm little confused with the years, cylinders, engines names and so on are you familiar with the changes they have done and do you know whats the difference between the G650 gs and the F650gs for what I have read seems that the twin engine have leaking problems? will appreciate any feedback

Yeah, the switching back and forth between letter designations and such has confused me for over a year now. I found this online:

So, after hearing the cries of American consumers for an affordable Beemer with a humane seat height, the GS returns as the G650GS. Seems BMW has finally cleared up its sometimes-confusing naming conventions once and (hopefully!) for all. All Single cylinders will start with the letter G, all parallel Twins will begin with F, all Boxer Twins will still begin with an R, the in-line Fours will still be K models, and soon we’ll see S models like the S1000RR. Cool! Now I get it, for the most part. There's still BMW's confusing logic when it comes to the name of the new F650GS. As most now know, the F650GS, brother to the F800GS, is in fact also an 800cc parallel Twin, and not a 650. Just when we thought it was clear...

So, they changed the F650 into a twin cylinder and then made a single cylinder and called it the G650. And the engines were outsourced to China (never heard of that happening before).

Then there's this thread here on TwTex from late 2008:

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34253

And then this write-up from Motorcycle-USA.com:

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/73/1962/Motorcycle-Article/2009-BMW-G650GS-First-Ride.aspx

The first order of business is figuring out exactly what this bike is called, and why. The ‘09 G650GS ($7670 plus $495 freight) is a replacement for the old F650GS and Dakar models. There is a current F650GS, which is also new this year, but it has nothing to do with the popular old model.

Multi-use adventure and dual-sport bikes from BMW are held in four classifications, G (single cylinder), F (Parallel Twin), R (Boxer Twin) and HP2 (High Performance). That means that the bike we tested is a 652cc Single, while the F650 is actually the 792cc motor shared with the F800GS. That’s why the G650GS is the replacement for the old F650GS rather than the other way around – they’re both Singles. Get it? Simple enough once you get your head around the categories and forgive BMW for its confusing naming convention.

So, after reading all that, if you can figure it out.....let me know because I'm still confused. :lol2:

To make matters worse. The F800GS and the F650 GS current models have the same engine. The 650 is a detuned version of the same thing.

my 05 looks exactly the same as the G650 up to early 2011. There is a new 2011 model http://www.webbikeworld.com/BMW-motorcycles/bmw-g-650-gs/ that has different colors and new light configuration. Plus I think the new fully digital control panel.

g50gs is more street oriented with lower ground clearance.
new F650 is a detuned F800 but still more oriented to street. I am not sure about ground clearance.
F800 is a more adventure motorcycle that would compare to a KTM 900 (if you are a KTM fan and don't think these two compare I am sorry but that is just how I see it)

still confused? aren't we all?

once i decide which dual I'm going to get I'll be ready to join the trails fitness program use to do a lot motocross back on the day but now on my mid 50"s (being abuelito too) I don't want to be jumping 5' up on the air.

CBAT like your RR a lot want to go up to Montana one day, I better hurry before I become tatara abuelito (grand grandfather):doh:

and slowly start going off the pavement and into the more adventure stuff.

Have you made it out Cow Creek Road yet? It's kinda like going off road without having to leave the asphalt. ;)

I've found some nice dirty roads around Colorado Bend Pk, as well as east around Lexington and Blue.

Welcome to the site.

I am ordering the Hill Country roads guide from Richard. Once I get that I will check all those places out. I am also going to TAR event coming in up in April.

Back