• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Old-school DL650 and DRZ400 rider hunting South-Central TX rides

k9dr

Reaction score
Hey, All,

I wasn't sure where to post this so after some consideration I'm trying here. Long story short:

I'm 58 years old, an old-school MX guy grown to "that certain age" and finally after many years re-indulging my yen for motorcycles. I am in San Antonio, and I ride sport bikes on roads in the area and Hill Country, but I don't know what is available in Central TX for dual sport and adventure riding. Nor do I know anybody to dual sport or adventure ride with.

So this is a general SOS asking where to adv and dual-sport ride in this area, and how I can meet people so I'm not riding by myself and getting lost or crashing and spending the night outside waiting for somebody to find me. Im a very competent rider, and even bold in my own small way, and I like to challenge myself, but I am no expert or "hard enduro" rider.

Im going to register for the March Terlingua rally but in the meantime does anybody have any suggestions for me?

I ride a very extensively farkled 2012 VStrom 650 that I like to beat the crap out of riding in creek beds and over rocks and stuff, and also like to ride smooth and fast (but safely) on the road. My ambition is to ride up to a bunch of dual sport riders in some out-of-the-way rough place on my Pig VStrom and have them say "How in the **** did you get that thing here?"

I also have a hot-rodded DRZ 400SM (now 462cc) with wide ratio tranny and a set of dirt shoes (as well as the 17's) that I do pretty much the same with, but I don't ride crazy-hard technical stuff. My "other car" is a KTM 530 EXC with 17's and a set of dirt wheels but Im looking for a replacement (WR 450, probably) because the 530 is a bit quirky and difficult to master and, ironically, a bit boring because the engine is so tractor-like.

So here is hoping I hear from a Good Motorcycling Samaritan, either through a post or a PM.

Stewart Hilliard
Boerne, TX

Keep an eye on the "upcoming rides" thread, also check the TARA section. Sander posts a lot of rides that start around the San Antonio area. Also, if you go back to his old threads, you can download the GPX files, although that doesn't help you find others to ride with... Just come on out the next time we're meeting up.

I know/ride a lot of the gravel around Caldwel and Guadalupe counties, but that's a pretty far ride for you, for day trips.

Hey, All,

I wasn't sure where to post this so after some consideration I'm trying here. Long story short:

I'm 58 years old, an old-school MX guy grown to "that certain age" and finally after many years re-indulging my yen for motorcycles. I am in San Antonio, and I ride sport bikes on roads in the area and Hill Country, but I don't know what is available in Central TX for dual sport and adventure riding. Nor do I know anybody to dual sport or adventure ride with.

So this is a general SOS asking where to adv and dual-sport ride in this area, and how I can meet people so I'm not riding by myself and getting lost or crashing and spending the night outside waiting for somebody to find me. Im a very competent rider, and even bold in my own small way, and I like to challenge myself, but I am no expert or "hard enduro" rider.

Im going to register for the March Terlingua rally but in the meantime does anybody have any suggestions for me?

I ride a very extensively farkled 2012 VStrom 650 that I like to beat the crap out of riding in creek beds and over rocks and stuff, and also like to ride smooth and fast (but safely) on the road. My ambition is to ride up to a bunch of dual sport riders in some out-of-the-way rough place on my Pig VStrom and have them say "How in the **** did you get that thing here?"

I also have a hot-rodded DRZ 400SM (now 462cc) with wide ratio tranny and a set of dirt shoes (as well as the 17's) that I do pretty much the same with, but I don't ride crazy-hard technical stuff. My "other car" is a KTM 530 EXC with 17's and a set of dirt wheels but Im looking for a replacement (WR 450, probably) because the 530 is a bit quirky and difficult to master and, ironically, a bit boring because the engine is so tractor-like.

So here is hoping I hear from a Good Motorcycling Samaritan, either through a post or a PM.

Stewart Hilliard

Boerne, TX

I'm not sure if it's an open club but San Antonio Dirt Riders also put on several rides in your area.One of their ride leaders lives on Boerne.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Medina 250 will be a pretty good test as it’s all day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back