• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A new little scoot I haven’t seen discussed here.

Reaction score
I just found out tonight that the littlest Ninja has gotten bigger for 2018. Gone is the Ninja 300, and here is the Ninja 400. The few articles I’ve read have offered a lot of praise and very few complaints.

If it fits me physically it might be a contender for my next bike, although hopefully by the time I’m ready to buy they’ll be putting the motor in a Versys X.

https://www.cycleworld.com/kawasaki-blows-lid-off-entry-level-class-with-2018-ninja-400

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2018-kawasaki-ninja-400-first-ride-motorcycle-review

I think it could be great fun, I have been enjoying my 1992 Bandit 400, so I am pretty sure the little Kawi would be a nicer version of the same. We need someone to buy one so we can play with it.

You know, if they keep this up, eventually it'll grow up and we'll finally have that Ninja 600 we've all been wishing for. :)

https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/2018-kawasaki-ninja-400-first-ride-motorcycle-review

"What surprised me the most while executing this review wasn't how good this bike was for a beginner, but rather how good this bike was for a motorcycle. Whether you're a new rider who wants something that exudes big-bike style, or you're an established rider looking for a lightweight backroad burner or track bike that will cost very little to maintain, the Ninja 400 is going to have a lot of people talking. The Ninja 400 isn't a story of "bigger is better." Rather, this is a "better is better" kinda tale."

That is what I was alluding to with my post, the Bandit 400 is a very capable back road burner without running above the ton. Lots of great engine noises, good handling at relatively low speeds. Plus it is tiny and easy to toss around.

Since the Versys 300-x had the same engine as the ninja 300, how much you want to bet they put out a new Versys X? Personally, I wonder if there's a dirt bike frame that engine could fit in easily and if so, which one? I saw on another forum where someone had taken the 650 from a Versys and put it in (what I think) was a honda xr650 frame/bike.

The first article does make me want to test one out at a track.

"you can’t ride a spec sheet"

that made me actually LOL.

Sounds like a great bike, from all accounts. I also see a bit of "mission creep" here. The old 250 was marketed as a low priced entry bike that's a lot of fun, but won't get you into too much trouble. Also, a good but fun commuter bike that gets excellent gas mileage. The 250 gave way to the 300, and now the 400. There's this cycle in which bikes like this gradually get bigger until somebody comes along & says "Hey, what this market needs is a good little 250cc starter bike", and the cycle resets itself.

That said, my first street bike was a Honda CB400, and man it was fun! The Ninja 400 hits pretty much the same niche, but in a much more modern package.

I'll be the voice of dissent on this one. Considering its price, I don't see why anybody would buy this bike. For a Grand more, you could have about the same weight and almost twice the power by buying an FZ-07.

When this bike was a super cheap 250, it made sense. As an almost 6,000-dollar 400, it makes no sense.

Sounds like a great bike, from all accounts. I also see a bit of "mission creep" here. The old 250 was marketed as a low priced entry bike that's a lot of fun, but won't get you into too much trouble. Also, a good but fun commuter bike that gets excellent gas mileage. The 250 gave way to the 300, and now the 400. There's this cycle in which bikes like this gradually get bigger until somebody comes along & says "Hey, what this market needs is a good little 250cc starter bike", and the cycle resets itself.

That's kind of where I was going with my comment. It keeps getting bigger and then you have two models that are very similar and competing with one another. Then later you'll have like you said, another new bike at the bottom again.

You know, if they keep this up, eventually it'll grow up and we'll finally have that Ninja 600 we've all been wishing for. :)

When I read through this, Jason, I somehow totally missed your comment. You're right - my comment is basically an expansion of yours.

I'll be the voice of dissent on this one. Considering its price, I don't see why anybody would buy this bike. For a Grand more, you could have about the same weight and almost twice the power by buying an FZ-07.....
That caught my eye so had to check .... FYI on MSRP of FZ-07 vs Ninja 400:

Non ABS $7,200 vs $5,000
ABS $7,500 vs $5,300

Sorry, but + $2,200 / ~50% is too big a leap for most to compare the two or consider the FZ-07 as an 'alternative' to the Ninja 400; IMHO the Ninja is a very credible value (albeit a different machine).

Or maybe my scale is off, for me a "grand" is ~$1k, a "ton" is ~$2k ;-)

Last edited:
That caught my eye so had to check .... FYI on MSRP of FZ-07 vs Ninja 400:

Non ABS $7,200 vs $5,000
ABS $7,500 vs $5,300

Sorry, but + $2,200 / ~50% is too big a leap for most to compare the two or consider the FZ-07 as an 'alternative' to the Ninja 400; IMHO the Ninja is a very credible value (albeit a different machine).

Or maybe my scale is off, for me a "grand" is ~$1k, a "ton" is ~$2k ;-)

I paid $6,400 for my FZ-07 brand new.

Tim K,

I wonder what the difference, if any, might be in terms of insurance premiums given the difference in displacement? For some folks, that could also be a big issue, especially if they are under 25 years old.

Ok what are you selling or want to buy from another member???

I'll be the voice of dissent on this one. Considering its price, I don't see why anybody would buy this bike. For a Grand more, you could have about the same weight and almost twice the power by buying an FZ-07.

When this bike was a super cheap 250, it made sense. As an almost 6,000-dollar 400, it makes no sense.

WR250 sells for $7600

Ok what are you selling or want to buy from another member???

Yeah...I just now realized I posted this in the wrong section. I thought I was posting in “General”. It won’t hurt my feelings if somebody wants to move it.

I’m just one guy, but I couldn’t disagree more. There’s basically no realistic price that would get me to consider a 250cc road going bike (unless somebody starts selling a two stroke). This bike or something like the Duke 390 are pretty much the basement of what I’d realistically consider. It’s something that I CAN wring the neck of and ride near it’s full potential, but I wouldn’t HAVE to do that just to ride to work or make a quick run to Kroger.

Basically I’m currently on a kick of trying to find a bike that maximizes the weight/performance/price ratio, and this looks like it could be a contender.

I certainly understand the global appeal of a smaller displacement bike than this, but we’re in a different market with different demands. I suppose sales will tell the real tale.

Ari Henning has multiple track records on below 400cc bikes...

Heres his view on the Ninja 400 on the track....[ame="https://youtu.be/IqM1_p9Q6nM"]2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 Track Review at Sonoma Raceway - YouTube[/ame]

Zack works with Ari and heres his views on the Ninja 400 on his commute..[ame="https://youtu.be/dktJzqAB2YA"]2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - MC Commute - YouTube[/ame]

Huh, was not aware of a new Kawi 400 Ninja....fan here, as I got back into riding on an older Kawi EX 500 Ninja..and just loved the bike...seems to me Kawasaki is wiggling slowly into that slot: great beginner bike, reasonable cost, high quality and reasonable performance: an all rounder...and also a fit for the shorter riders...and genuine new riders...to me: a WIN....

I would like to see it tested with the RC390, that little KTM has race parts available.

That said, my first street bike was a Honda CB400, and man it was fun! The Ninja 400 hits pretty much the same niche, but in a much more modern package.
I was thinking the same thing.

300 is the new 250, seems 400 will now become the new 300, and like you said, next thing the smallest is a 500.
Then the cycle will reset because there are no "small" bikes out there.
At least there are still some 200cc dual sports out there.
I do miss the little 125's that used to be around (I had a CB125 that was my only transportation for about a year, it hauled my fat 250lb butt even at highway speeds (although 65mph was highway speeds)). I don't count the Grom and such though.

I do wonder what the insurance difference (if any) would be going from 300 cc to 400 cc? things like this add up for a new rider for sure.

A part of me likes how some countries require graduated motorcycle licensing, those countries have some nice little 125-250cc bikes because of this.

WR250 sells for $7600

I don't see the presumed analogy. The WR250 is a dual sport. You're comparing apples to cucumbers.

I wonder what the difference, if any, might be in terms of insurance premiums given the difference in displacement?

That might be it. I remember that insurance companies were pretty friendly to young Ninja 250 riders, especially back in the '90s. However, my FZ-07 doesn't insure as a full-on sport bike either, so it would be interesting to get some online quotes and see how the Ninja 400 and FZ-07 compare.

I’m just one guy, but I couldn’t disagree more.

Understood. As I said, I am intentionally acting as the voice of dissent. As the smallest Ninja continues to be pushed closer and closer toward the middleweight class, these are the questions I believe will be raised.

I certainly understand the global appeal of a smaller displacement bike than this, but we’re in a different market with different demands. I suppose sales will tell the real tale.

It's been my experience that when it comes to motorcycles, a cult following can develop around even the most unlikely bike. Keep in mind, you're talking to a guy who's a member of that bunch of strange motorcycle weirdos called the ZRXOA. Young people tend to like smaller, simpler motorcycles, and perhaps that is the appeal.I can understand that. After all, I bought the FZ-07 because it's so stripped down and simple, but it's also plenty powerful for the street. As you said, time will tell.

Last edited:
Was at Kawasaki on Tuesday. Was checking out the 300X again. The fully loaded 300X on the show room floor was $7700 plus with bags,crash guards,and driving lights. So the 400 Ninja is cheap compared to the 300X. Did not notice if they had a 400 or not. Wonder how out of this world the 400X if it comes out would retail for?

Nice bike I would ride one,but I am wondering for 5K what killer used bikes are out there? But if you needed to finance that is another question.

Back