TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > User Reviews of Bikes, Mods, Gear, etc,... > Gear

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

To Dakar or not to Dakar (The tire that is)

I have decided to shed the 80/20 street tires (about 2200miles now) from the 17' wee and have chosen the Mitas E-07 50/50 tires (seem like a sensible design for both). So I see that the Dakar is a different tire and better built (?) From the standard e07. What is the difference. I guess this has already been discussed somewhere but I lam lazy and will once again use the collective wisdom bot of TWT for research. Is it worth the additional cost. Will the dakar tread last longer?
Any coments?

For Sale: Dark Blue 8'Bed E.Cab 2000 Silverado
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #2
pkiser

Re: To Dakar or not to Dakar (The tire that is)

Not 100% but I think the side walls are thicker/heaver. Makes them a bit harder to mount, especially if you are using hand tools.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
SilverBullet

Dakar is a beefier tire, stiffer sidewalls (more plies) and tread lasts longer. Not sure if from different compound, more rubber or reduced heat from stiff sidewalls. In any case it's worth the only slightly higher cost. Tire is as close to flat proof and run flat as you'll find for a motorcycle. Take a Heindenau K60, give it better off road performance, better wet road performance, cheaper price and similar treadlife = E-07 Dakar

Same tire sizes as your Strom but on a heavier/more hp Tenere, I get an average of 12k miles for rear and 19k for the front.

http://www.mitas-moto.com/internatio...il-tyres/e-07/

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #4
Retiredtosoon

If your look for something that will last a while do real good on the paved road maintained gravel and some what good in the deep sand, heavy gravel and mud than get the E-07 i have right at 6200 miles on mine there right at 50%, and they do good if you keep them under 80 MPH after that they start to wonder.
I used ride-on to balance them which has been a year ago now, the back does fine front feels like an egg till it gets warmed up, but they did that from new. To me they are superb on the road as for as grip rain does not pose no ill effects ether i think you will like them but to me i would not bother with the Dakar's they are all ready hard to install by hand as they are plenty stiff you need to lay them out in the sun to warm and that helps.

Aaron
Retiredtosoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #5
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtosoon View Post
... i would not bother with the Dakar's they are all ready hard to install by hand as they are plenty stiff you need to lay them out in the sun to warm and that helps.
Technique..technique..technique. Mitas's are not a tire to try and force on. I've installed about 10-12 Dakars by hand, one or two even on a cold day. If one is going on hard, I stop and regroup as something is not being done optimally. Tire temp makes it easier but technique and proper lube is what gets the job done.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 02-03-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
Retiredtosoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Technique..technique..technique. Mitas's are not a tire to try and force on. I've installed about 10-12 Dakars by hand, one or two even on a cold day. If one is going on hard, I stop and regroup as something is not being done optimally. Tire temp makes it easier but technique and proper lube is what gets the job done.

_
would a Dakar be a 1 beer are 2 beer installation

Aaron
Retiredtosoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #7
JMZ

Get back with us after you mount some. You'll know then . LOL

XR650R

2000 KTM 380 EXC PLATED
1977 Honda Trail CT 125
JMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #8
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtosoon View Post
would a Dakar be a 1 beer are 2 beer installation

Aaron
6 pack. But then it takes me 2 beers just to open the garage door and one more to put the bike up on lift. I don't enjoy wrenching, only do it to save money and ensure the job is done correctly.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 02-04-2018, 09:44 AM   #9
my6

My next set of tires.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:36 PM   #10
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Pulled the trigger on Amazon for the Dakar pair $293 with my $11 discount. Will mount myself. How do i balance? Harbor freight balancer??
Old 02-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #11
V-lust
Forum Supporter

Didn’t balance mine and never felt that I should have. Changed the front (non Dakar) at about 12K and the rear (Dakar) still has two or three thousand to go. First time I have had a rear tire outlast the front.
V-lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:22 PM   #12
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-lust View Post
Didn’t balance mine and never felt that I should have. Changed the front (non Dakar) at about 12K and the rear (Dakar) still has two or three thousand to go. First time I have had a rear tire outlast the front.
Ok, no experience with big bike tires so wasn't sure, will see how it goes.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #13
Crew Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
Ok, no experience with big bike tires so wasn't sure, will see how it goes.
I've started using rideon for balancing and leak prevention. I'm not real sensitive to balance issues but it seems to do ok for that. I've only been using it a few months but I haven't suffered any flats in that time. I've heard many good things about it from people who have s longer history with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
'95 Kawasaki Concours
'01 Kawasaki KLR 650
'82 Yamaha XJ650R Seca
'74 Kawasaki H1 500

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
Crew Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #14
pkiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
Pulled the trigger on Amazon for the Dakar pair $293 with my $11 discount. Will mount myself. How do i balance? Harbor freight balancer??

Brian,

I have used the HF balancer for years. Works fine!
Old 02-05-2018, 12:33 PM   #15
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

My experience in recent years has been that if my rim is balanced, I almost never need to balance once the tire is installed. I guess manufacturing techniques and quality have finally reached the point where tires are mostly balanced from the factory

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 12:39 PM   #16
pkiser

Most tire manufacturers mark the light spot on the tire. (red dot) Line that up with the heavy spot on the rim and then balance the tire. Shouldn't need much if any weight to balance.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:59 PM   #17
SilverBullet

100k miles on the Tenere and I've never balanced a tire. When OEM tires were changed I removed all the factory balance weights from the rims, front and back. Been using Ride-On since instead. Probably could go without it but if I ever would need to roll up to triple digit speed for avoidance I feel better knowing I'm not going to get surprised by a balance shake. Plus might help in a rare instance of a thorn from causing a leak or flat. Approx 80K miles of Mitas Dakars front and back and not a single flat. Prior to Mitas I ran Shinko 804/805's on the Strom and Tenere. Best I ever did was one flat (rope plug) on the rear, a couple tires with two plugs and one with three sticky rope plugs before retiring the tire. YRMV

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
Old 02-05-2018, 01:05 PM   #18
Mr2mch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkiser View Post
Most tire manufacturers mark the light spot on the tire. (red dot) Line that up with the heavy spot on the rim and then balance the tire. Shouldn't need much if any weight to balance.
Yep.... I found out about the falsehood of lining up the dot with valve stem years ago.
A letter from a Bridgestone rep verified to line up the tires dot (light spot) with heavy spot on rim...(not necessarily same spot as valve stem)

$...MAN...that $300 price on the new E07 Mitas set makes me happy with the $140 I paid yesterday for a like new set!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk

IT happens..... then you put an SH in front of it

The Tye Dyed Texas TourGuide....Ask about my stickers
They're in the VENDOR SECTION
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:18 PM   #19
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2mch View Post
Yep.... I found out about the falsehood of lining up the dot with valve stem years ago.
A letter from a Bridgestone rep verified to line up the tires dot (light spot) with heavy spot on rim...(not necessarily same spot as valve stem)

$...MAN...that $300 price on the new E07 Mitas set makes me happy with the $140 I paid yesterday for a like new set!

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
If they perform as silverbullet describes, it will be worth every penny.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:28 PM   #20
JMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
My experience in recent years has been that if my rim is balanced, I almost never need to balance once the tire is installed. I guess manufacturing techniques and quality have finally reached the point where tires are mostly balanced from the factory
I also believe this.

XR650R

2000 KTM 380 EXC PLATED
1977 Honda Trail CT 125
JMZ is offline   Reply With Quote