• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

riding around caprock

wil091

Reaction score
need some info on good dual sport trails and roads around caprock. i also need to know where to park for the day of riding. Need something with good sites co rd # would really help

need some info on good dual sport trails and roads around caprock. i also need to know where to park for the day of riding. Need something with good sites co rd # would really help

If you are talking about the Caprock area in west Texas I would suggest basing at Caprock Canyon State Park, just north of Quitaque. There are some great roads in the area and the Park is nice. I don't know the road names/ #'s and I don't know what you mean by dual sport; but if dirt roads are your quest there are some great ones. Find the Pease River on you maps and plot a course that weaves along and through the river valley. There are some very nice drives in the area.

As far a trails- I doubt there are any on public property that are open to OHVs. But I really just don't know.

Get with iphorde on this site. We have been discussing making Caprock Canyons a base to ride out of and exploring around the Paducah area that he says looks interesting.

need some info on good dual sport trails and roads around caprock.

I have been doing alot of riding in the caprock canyon area since January when iI got my GS.. I have been staying on the pavement, since My off road skills are still....new?.. I went right by caprock canyon last Saturday as i rode from Plainview to silverton to Memphis to estelline then turkey, lockney then back to plainview... 215 miles not bad for a Saturday morning get away.. there are several good roads back over there with few nice curves to get down on..
I would be interested in some mild off road stuff.. i need to tune up my off road skills.
this one of my favorit stops

CIMG0948.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, that is a good loop.

You can get to the Caprocks Canyons park by taking CR29 off-road the back way off 256. It's pretty mild and scenic, then ride thru the park.

Also off 256, just before the turn to Brice, you can take CR1 to the JA Ranch Headquarters. It's a pretty mild off road ride and scenic.

If you're going to get back up this way some time, give me a shout if you want to check it out.

Derek

Do you need permission or permit to get on these roads? i might try them when i get my new tires.. need to replace the front now.. I have metzler tourance tires and they are like a 80/20 street/dirt tire.. I will probably replace with the same since iam looking at some longdistance street rides this summer. I probably need something more off road to take these trials ... you think??? wish i had two sets of rims so i could swap out easily.. or another bike inthe garage........hmmm think im on to something now.. "how to sell this to wife???"

No. They are county roads. Do you ride with a GPS? I have a few tracks for those roads you might be interested in. PM me with your email address.

These aren't trails, they're hard pack dirt roads for the most part.

I think the metzler tourance was the stock tire on my Vstrom. Swapped them out for the Michelin Anakee 2. Better tire all around I think, both on and off road.

i just scored a zumo 550 from a guy in florida a few weeks ago.. I have beeen enjoying it very much ... still learnig how to use some feature like interfacing with google earth..

Hey guys.....Rob here.

I work in Snyder and been looking for some riders in this area for weekend rides and to plan out some of the other rallies in the future. Good to hear that your out there. Hit me up when you guys want to hit the trails

Back