• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Durango / Purgatory Late August

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Well, my Denver client has asked me to spend a week in Denver so I am using that as my excuse to drive to Denver with a week long stop first in the Durango / Purgatory area.

Mary and I will be renting a place for 7 days starting Sunday 8/20 leaving on Sunday 8/27.

Just checking to see if any TWT members are going to be anywhere near there it might be fun to try and connect for a ride or just to hang out.

Will be taking the Africa Twin and the Husky, so any type of ride is possible...

Wish I could join you - sounds like fun. Great area ...

Always looking for input. Road there last year on the Twin and was lucky to run into RG, he should me a bunch of the trails. We are staying in Purgatory and have ridden from there up the hills over to Rico, Delores, some of the CDR to Telluride, Silverton back to Purgatory. Also did some of the 14ers.

This year I have both the Twin and the Husky, really want to do Black Bear this time on the Husky.

We found several of the local spots in Durango, Pizza, BBQ, but by far the best was the Ore House. Best darn meal in 10 years, yummm.

I want to do a couple two up rides with my wife, would like to find one of easier 14ers. Some are so full of jeeps and ATV's.

My son is going to show up too, he has some experience but isn't an advanced rider. He will be riding my wife's new XT250 (hence the need for a skid plate). If he gets comfortable enough I may let him try the Husky and I will ride the twin. We will see.

So I am always interested in what others have done.

Do you know anything about a road just North of Purgatory on 550 that jumps east and heads down to the RR tracks and follows the Animas for a bit then changes direction towards Durango going past Mastodon Mine, Emerald Lake... In Basecamp it is marked in red, so not sure if that is open for motorcycles or not.

I heard there was a group heading up there first part of September. Are you guys going to Durango or some other part?

I have to go work in Denver the 28th till Sept 1st. A little part of me is thinking about heading back to Durango but after two weeks away from home I may not be able to justify the time and extra miles. You never know though...

Hey Mike,
8 of us are headed into Durango, riding out the morning of 9/9 to Delores camping off bikes. We are all new to that area and although with a route from GpsKevin,always looking for tips and advice. Have fun..but leave some for us!!

Tim

KTIM, what type of riding are you looking to do? I have some routes but they are all the off-road technical trails? I am working in Denver today, but will try to get some together for you tonight if I can find the time.

We picked up a route from GpsKevin..gonna be on 690's and 1 KLR.. We ride our off-road bikes here at the Red River. Hoping to stay a little more tame being that far from home..the COBDR is gonna be one of many dual sport venues for us.

Mchappy,
Be looking for 6/690's 1/Husky 701 and a desert tan KLR..a ton of smiles and maybe a gummie bear or 2!!!

Mchappy,
Be looking for 6/690's 1/Husky 701 and a desert tan KLR..a ton of smiles and maybe a gummie bear or 2!!!
Gummy Bears, so y'all will be the ones sitting at the stop sign eating Oreos and wait for the sign to turn green.

Back