• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

LED light replacement

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
My 1983 GL1100A GoldWing is in need of heated grips. A bit of checking reveled that the stock alternator puts out ~30 amps. Between the engine, lights, and various other electrical stuff, it seems to be using about 27 of those 30. :doh: Which leaves basically no overhead for anything extra added on.

Seeing as upgrading the alternator isn't really an option*, that leaves reducing consumption as the only option.

There are six bulbs besides the headlight on this bike.
two run/turn on the front.
two run/turn and two run/brake on the rear.

According to the owners manual for the '83 Interstate (mine is the Aspencade), the bulbs are as follows:
Turn Signal:
:tab Front: 1034 x2
:tab Rear: 1073
Tail/Brake: 1157 x2

each of those bulbs run 0.7A on low, and 1.9A on high.
Assuming you've got the brakes and a turn signal on, that quickly adds up to 9A total.
That's nearly 1/3 of the total power, just running lights you always use!

We all know LEDs draw much less power for the same amount of light output.
SuperBrightLEDs.com lists their brightest 1157 replacement bulbs at this power draw:
Color :tab Type :tab mA
Amber :tab 1157 :tab 25/195
Red :tab 1157 :tab 26/165

That's a total of 0.74A using the same situation as before.

I ordered my bulbs from SuperBrightLEDs.com
Specifically, these bulbs. They have many other options, those worked best for my application.

I also replaced the flasher with an electronic one so the flash rate would be the normal expected rate and not something that's seizure-inducing.
I went with this unit. Again, they have other options, pick what works for your application.

The front turn signals and tail/brake lights swapped perfectly.
The rear run/turn signals were a bit more of a challenge. For some reason Honda decided to use a different type of bulb for those than for the rest of the bike. They used a bulb that has the same contacts as a 1157, but the same lock pins as an 1156. Beats me what that is though.
Turns out, if you grind off the higher lock pin on the 1157, it snaps right in and works like a champ :trust:
Not ideal, but since I'd already ordered and received the bulbs, it was cheaper/simpler that trying to track down the correct bulb.

All told, I've invested ~$150 in the lights and saved 26% of my alternator output.
Opting for lower-output bulbs will save you ~$15/ea. I wanted as much light as I could get.

If you're not sure what bulbs you need to get, here's a handy cross-reference:
LED/Incandescent bulb cross reference

*I'm aware of the mod to add a small car alternator driven off of the front pully, but that's more effort than I'm wanting to put in right now. It may happen in the future.

Last edited:
are you sure about your outputs? some bikes have a seperate lighting coils?

well some bikes have coil for the igition and one for lighting. But apparently that is not the case with those wings, (quick google search later). good luck:giveup:

Ah gotcha. Yup, this is a single alternator system. Works great unless you're like me and can't leave well enough alone! :lol2:

how could i ever leave it alone? oh yeah, sell it that's only thing that gets left alone around here..:rider:

Back