• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oil filler cap oil leak!?

Reaction score
So I get a small "trail" of oil on my cover right below the cap. Anybody else have this issue? I was gonna see if I could just get a new oring but just curious. Never thought much about it when it left a TINY trail for the last year or so but at the last oil change at a late 4k I was a bit low on oil nothing drastic but...

So I get a small "trail" of oil on my cover right below the cap. Anybody else have this issue? I was gonna see if I could just get a new oring but just curious. Never thought much about it when it left a TINY trail for the last year or so but at the last oil change at a late 4k I was a bit low on oil nothing drastic but...

Try a new o-ring, or make sure you didn't loose it, but I recommend replacing the ugly looking black plastic cap with a billet aluminum cap and a new o-ring.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...w=Suzuki+Bandit+GSF1250S+oil+caps&_sacat=6000

Checked today. O ring STILL there! And I agree MM but some of those "knock offs" might be worse then the one I already have quality/leak wise! ;)

I have one of the EBay caps and it looks great but leaked until I used the OEM O-ring. That is the critical part!

Well that isn't gonna help me then! lol looks like I'll have to find the OEM O-Ring! BikeBandit didn't seem to have it or at least I couldn't find it. Anybody got a part #?

Well that isn't gonna help me then! lol looks like I'll have to find the OEM O-Ring! BikeBandit didn't seem to have it or at least I couldn't find it. Anybody got a part #?

I'm sure that its just a standard spec metric o-ring, so pull it out and measure the ID, OD and cross section width with a caliper, and see if you can find one at an auto parts store, or a bearing supply house.

I'll pull mine out and measure it latter today, and I may even have one the right size.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#o-rings/=u7z0cm

Not 100 % sure I got the correct bike so you might want to double check. If you ever need to look up parts check out Ronayers.com. They may not have the clearest drawings but they have parts lists for just about every metric bike. You can probably call them and get the specific measurements of the item as well. Their customer service is great and they give you the part #'s on their parts breakdown so you can google them or check elsewhere for best pricing.

parts diagram:
http://www.ronayers.com/CRANKCASE-COVER-C245007.aspx

Part # 09280-17003 if I got the bike correct (Went with 2009 gsf1250sa).
Looks to be $1.03 from Ron Ayers and 1.26 from Bike bandit, you can probably get it for around the same amount at any local place with that part #. RA will charge freight but I can't imagine it would be that much total, but I imagine their price will be less than anyone's.

I have one of the EBay caps and it looks great but leaked until I used the OEM O-ring. That is the critical part!

I bought a black aluminum cap from China but it leaked and I chucked it in the Bandit bin. I swapped the O-ring with the stock cap O-ring and rode today. No leak! Thanks!:chug:

I machined a custom billet aluminum oil filler plug that looks exactly like the stock oil filler plug, and I just used the o-ring off of the stock on the aluminum one, and I just pulled it off and measured it, and its 17mm ID x 3 mm in width, and McMaster Carr has them, but you have to buy a pack of 100 for $15.

But I would still check around and see if you can find that size o-ring in smaller pack quantities, or else you'll be forced to buy one from Suzuki, and the part number is 09280-17003, and its only $3, so your better off just ordering one from a local dealer.

As Suzuki usually does with things like bearings and O-rings, they list them in sizes that aren't actually available, as they lists the o-ring size as 3.1 mm width x 16.8 ID, which in decimal is .122 width x .661 ID, compared to a standard available 3 mm width x 17 mm ID o-ring which in decimal is .118 width x .669 ID, and I can guarantee you that Suzuki did not have an o-ring custom made up .005 to .008 different in dimention, so trust me when I say a 3 mm x 17 mm o-ring will work just as well.

As Suzuki usually does with things like bearings and O-rings, they list them in sizes that aren't actually available,

:lol2: That so reminds me of National Oilwell back in the 70's and perhaps now also, and their old B compounds which transmitted power through clutches and shafts and chains and belts to the mud pumps and drawworks for drilling. On one shaft they had a certain bearing that was machined out about an in on the inside diameter and a sleeve pressed in with a hole for an air tube. That bearing sleeve combo cost 2500 bucks back then. I found the Torrington Bearing of the same size in a bearing book for 600 bucks the figured if I could order the bearing , I could dupe the thing for about a grand max. Good idea but, Torrington would not sell the bearing to anyone except National .

You will be surprised what you can find at your local bearing distributor. They will be able to get almost any conceivable size, shape, and composition of O-ring out there. I have never had any issues getting the O-ring I require and I live in Africa. Go figure.

You will be surprised what you can find at your local bearing distributor. They will be able to get almost any conceivable size, shape, and composition of O-ring out there. I have never had any issues getting the O-ring I require and I live in Africa. Go figure.

Here is the US, both SAE (inch) and metric size o-rings are readily available in every conceivable material, but I would think that pretty much any place else in the world that metric size O-rings are going to be the most, if not the only size O-rings you can buy, and if you compare SAE and metric O-ring sizes after converting metric O-ring dimensions into decimal, you will find that there no sizes in either class that can be interchanged in most applications.

SAE size O-rings are also have what is called a dash number, which starts -001 and goes up to -475, and the dash number refers to the ID, OD and width of the O-ring, but here in the U.S, metric class O-rings are just called out by their dimensions and have no industry standard dash number designation. So how are the O-rings sold in South Africa just called out by their actual size in millimeters, or do they have a similar designation system like the SAE dash number.

Hi Metrick

This is where it gets tricky but interesting.

In South Africa you can use both the British Imperial and metric system. There are many products in SA that are imported from the USA so I assume that the US customary system of measurement also applies in some instances but this will even be less relevant in SA than the British Imperial system. There is a slight difference in the British Imperial system as opposed to the US customary system of measurement and in a country that is predominantly using the Metric system like SA does, there can be a lot of confusion if you don't know your stuff.

In SA the 3 different systems and their relevant order of prevalence of use would probably look something like this.

Metric system usage (95+%)
British Imperial system (4+%)
US customary system of measurement (less than 0.5%)
Other (who knows)

Anyways, to answer your question, in most cases in SA almost all O-ring measurements are quoted using the Metric system, and by means of quoting the diameter of the cord material followed by the inside diameter of the ring itself, followed by the shore hardness of the material if applicable.

Example 1. 2X20 = 2mm x 20mm; (outside diameter would be 24mm)
Example 2. 2X20VF (Viton seal with shore hardness of 80)

We also have o-ring cord and glue available which you can purchase loosely per per length and cut you own size O-ring and glue the ends together to make your own size O-ring.

Having said this, coupled with the fact that South Africa imports most of its machinery etc. from more advanced countries capable of producing complex equipment, you will find that almost everything is available in South Africa in terms of standard maintenance requirements which includes bearing, Oil seals, O-rings etc. Critical machine spares are once again imported due to their complexity.

So essentially in the case of South Africa, the quote of "necessity is the mother of all inventions" applies as long as it's simple like O-rings and the like.

Here is the US, both SAE (inch) and metric size o-rings are readily available in every conceivable material, but I would think that pretty much any place else in the world that metric size O-rings are going to be the most, if not the only size O-rings you can buy, and if you compare SAE and metric O-ring sizes after converting metric O-ring dimensions into decimal, you will find that there no sizes in either class that can be interchanged in most applications.

SAE size O-rings are also have what is called a dash number, which starts -001 and goes up to -475, and the dash number refers to the ID, OD and width of the O-ring, but here in the U.S, metric class O-rings are just called out by their dimensions and have no industry standard dash number designation. So how are the O-rings sold in South Africa just called out by their actual size in millimeters, or do they have a similar designation system like the SAE dash number.

Does anyone here remember having to use the old British Witworth wrenches? What a contrast to metric and us stuff. I remember having a small set in high school to work on my BSA's and Triumph's. Where they evaporated to while doing 4 plus years in the Corps, only the gods know.

Does anyone here remember having to use the old British Witworth wrenches? What a contrast to metric and us stuff. I remember having a small set in high school to work on my BSA's and Triumph's. Where they evaporated to while doing 4 plus years in the Corps, only the gods know.

Yup, as being a previous Triumph and BSA owner back in my youth, the motorcycle world is a much better place without Lucas electrics and Whitworth fasteners, of which both were know to either burn out (Lucas) or come loose (Whitworth) :lol2:

Yup, as being a previous Triumph and BSA owner back in my youth, the motorcycle world is a much better place without Lucas electrics and Whitworth fasteners, of which both were know to either burn out (Lucas) or come loose (Whitworth) :lol2:

I have a 2001 Ford focus that I have owned from new and had the back up lights quit working, the switch was a dealer only parts and marked right on the box was "made in England by Lucas"

a coworker bought a "box O bonnie" 66 Bonneville that was completely disassembled in boxes and it took longer to track down and gather up the whitworth wrenches that it did to build the bike and he had all three of the tool truck guys doing the leg work.

back to the original subject, Suzuki makes their engines to leak!
the SV/ DL 1000 engine oozes oil from the crank bolt cover and the only thing that can stop it is permatex silicon.

Late update... remembered I had a local Suzuki dealer stopped by and got the OEM (maybe as it wasn't in a bag!) o ring and took off the old one and put on the new one. Of course the old one was MUCH thicker so I was concerned but after over 100 miles no more marks on the cover! :D

back to the original subject, Suzuki makes their engines to leak!
the SV/ DL 1000 engine oozes oil from the crank bolt cover and the only thing that can stop it is permatex silicon.
Huh. That explains that. Gracias.

Back