• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUG TREASUR FIND

dannyboy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Finch
So I bought this 2016 KTM 500 with 9,000 miles on it.
I have changed the oil probably 5 or 6 times and put 6,000 miles on it.
When I drained the oil this time, look what was stuck on the magnetic
drain plug. A valve shim.
Boy am I lucky. This has been in the engine for at least 6K miles.
Whoever did a valve adjustment before I got it must have lost something.
Maybe that is why they sold it, knowing a major engine explosion
was in its future.
I took the valve cover off to make sure all the valves had a shim on top of them.
They did.
Ha, I better buy a lottery ticket.

20180916_092149_zpserakstgq.jpg

20180916_092155_zpscfpsvfk5.jpg

Last edited:
How would that even make it there? I can't see how it would end up in the case unless that motor had a fairly major rebuild before you got it.
What am I missing here? My 05 450EXC doesn't have shims, but what path would a shim have had to take to get down into the case and to the drain plug?

Last edited:
How would that even make it there? I can't see how it would end up in the case unless that motor had a fairly major rebuild before you got it.
What am I missing here? Mine 05 450EXC doesn't have shims, but what path would a shim have had to take to get down into the case and to the drain plug?

good question, wouldn't it need to go by piston?

When I took my DR-Z apart, I found a crushed cam bearing cap bushing that was laying in the bottom by the primary gear. I was lucky it just sat there. No damage anywhere inside, just an extra part. It was missing one when I pulled the stock cams, so I just replaced it. Could have been me, but I also feel lucky. Great job. Further proof we all need to have magnetic drain plugs.

This bike has an overhead cam. It also has shims on top of each valve.
So it has a big channel from top to bottom on one side to allow the
cam chain to get up to the head and oil to return.

Last edited:
Interesting that it was never stuck to the plug tip during previous oil changes...

So long as the bike remained upright (a challenge for some of us :wary:), I would think it would just sit in the bottom of the case, not really being an issue. Even if you hit a big bump, the oil would tend to keep it from bouncing up into anything moving.

It could have been dropped down the cam chain tunnel. That is how mine got down there.

No mechanic here, just wondering how he got lucky enough for it to get down. Close call for sure.

For sure

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yep down the cam chain tunnel, lots of guys put a rag or paper towel there but then you always see the odd comment about someone forgetting to pull it out
and shredding a towel down when they hit the starter there which call for pulling the motor apart because you never know if you go all the rag bits out and what oil passages the bits may have plugged

It could have been dropped down the cam chain tunnel. That is how mine got down there.
X2 had to fall past the cam chain.

Check the cam chain and sprockets

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It had to fall past the chain. Some models have a screen that goes from the stator area to under the crank. just for the purpose of keeping things out.
It was probably stuck to the magnet portion of the flywheel for a while.

But I wouldn't worry about getting a lottery ticket. You already won today.

Check to see if there was supposed to be a screen behind the flywheel. Where there Is an oil passage.
You also might look at the stator cover and make sure it did not get gouged.

Last edited:
You know the next time you start this bike and try to ride it you are going to be crazy paranoid, freaking out about every little sound and odd vibration... :-P

You know the next time you start this bike and try to ride it you are going to be crazy paranoid, freaking out about every little sound and odd vibration... :-P

You are correct.
That shim is hardened steel. I can only imagine what that would do to the engine, some noise or total lock up. Either one is a ride killer.

I have had magnetic drain plugs that were weak and good ones that are strong. Some are better than others. Was it bent or anything like a gear hit it?

Back