• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding Gear Review

Reaction score
Over the last couple of years I have increasingly found myself turning to the web and great enthusiast sites like TWTEX for real world advice. The process of discussion and sharing lends itself to a wealth of useful information. This process has genuinely benefited me in two particular areas: trip planning and motorcyle/gear/apparel research.

I consider it a community obligation to give back in form so I always provide a trip report when I return from an adventure. I have never returned the favor regarding gear so what follows is my humble attempt to reflect on the gear I am currently using. As always, remember that YMMV!

Olympia AST Jacket
ast-mens-jacket.jpg
105321756-M.jpg

I have used an Olympia Air Glide Jacket for the past 3 years and 30,000 or so miles. I like that jacket and it has served me well from freezing to 100+ degree days but I have been eyeing a 3/4 length jacket more appropriate for winter time use. I had exhaustively researched all the options and was debating between a Kilimanjaro and the Aerostich products when the Olympia AST came out.

The Hi-Viz color really caught my eye (pun intended!) as soon as I saw it. I recently took a trip to the mountains that served as the perfect excuse to buy a 'winter' jacket so I picked this one up at Lone Star Cycle. I won't go into a detailed review because this one at WBW is spot-on. Suffice it to say that the jacket performed flawlessly.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/olympia-ast/
The color really does show up and get people's attention. Several times folks who stopped to get gas mentioned how they noticed me from a great distance.
105088066-M.jpg

The collar, like the WBW review details, is the weak point for chicken necks like me. It is simply too big and there is too little velcro to tighten it up sufficiently. I almost didn't buy it because of this but I caved and plan to have an extra couple inches velcro sewn on to it.

That being said, I rode for several hours in a DRIVING rain and no (zero, zilch, nada, zip) water made it through the neck (as I had feared) or anywhere else for that matter. Consider this jacket - at least when brand new - to be completely watertight. After its maiden voyage it has 2,500 miles on it and is starting to break in. It was pretty (okay VERY) stiff at first but has softened up considerably.

It is warm. I rode in freezing, windy conditions all day with the jacket, liner and a single layer of long-sleeve polypro and was completely comfortable.

The only drawback I have noted so far, other than the collar issue, is the light Hi-Viz color really shows dirt and scuffs. I completely expected this and plan to be a bit less cavalier about how I toss this jacket around but it will end up getting dirty-looking sooner than later.
105321771-M.jpg

I have not tested the venting beyond the low 90's. At that temp, and 100% humidity, it was comfortable without the liner at speed but I expect I will not want to wear it in August in Austin for my daily commute. The back has two long zippered vents on either side and the front has vents on the inside of each arm and inside the breast pockets. They do move a good bit of air and, with the light color, should be serviceable at highway speeds in the heat but not likely during a commute. If I consider my Air Glide a 3-season jacket (spring, summer, fall) I would consider this one similar but opposite (fall, winter, spring).

It has pockets EVERYWHERE including a really handy one for my wife on the lower back. I stored lip balm, credit card and other stuff back there and she easily retrieved it while we were seated (still or in motion). Pretty cool.

It is armored in the shoulders/elbows (hard) and spine (soft) and the always meddlesome elbow armor really seems to stay in the proper place - on me, at least. The wrists can be really cinched down the jacket can be tightened at the elbow and waist. When properly fitted this jacket should stay put in a crash.

Final note: I vacillated between the large and medium sizes for quite some time. I am a bit of a 'tweener' at 5'11" and about 185 pounds with longer torso than legs. I usually buy large for comfort and flexibility of adding layers. The large in the AST was simply TOO MUCH MATERIAL. The arms were long, the chest bunched up in my face, the shoulders scrunched up and it felt, well, voluminous. I tried the medium with one shirt layer, my heated vest and the liner and it fit snugly. I could not add another layer and be comfortable. Luckily, after riding for 5+ hours in wet, near freezing conditions I think it is safe to say this jacket will not NEED another layer. I never even used my heated vest.

COMPLAINTS? Collar fit and tendency to show dirt (as noted above)

VERDICT? At less than $300 I recommend the AST.

Held Gloves
steveblack.jpg

I resisted buying 'high end' gloves for years. In retrospect I could've bought a couple pairs after going through half a dozen $40 pairs that just didn't work out. Prior to the Held gloves my favorite pair were simple $15 tan elkskin roper work gloves from Callahan's Feed Store.

I wore those out after about 15,000 miles and was wandering around Lone Star Cycle one day when one of the Held gloves jumped to my neck and pinned me against the wall while the other one shimmied on to my hand.

Ohhhhh....I bought them instantly and have not regretted the decision. I never thought gloves could be worth this much money but, boy, was I wrong.

COMPLAINTS? Not a complaint but there is no hard armor on them - just layers of additional soft padding. Perhaps this is why they are so comfortable. I never considered hard armor on gloves until reading about Scott's recent crash but will consider it when/if these ever wear out.

VERDICT? Recommended. Oh, yeah....

Oxtar Matrix Boots

105321833-M.jpg
105321784-M.jpg

I bought these boots on clearance at New Enough (best m/c apparel web site in the known universe!) b/c I wanted something waterproof and now wish I had bought 3 pair. I scored them for under 70 bucks and see them going for $150+ now.

These boots have about 30,000 miles on them and have certainly seen better days. The lower velcro enclosure gave out after about a year and 10,000 miles and they are looking sort of soft and droopy but they are still comfortable, safe, warm and waterproof. at <$100 I would buy a pair today. At closer to $200 I am consider replacing them with the Aeorstich (by Sidi) Combat Touring Boots.

COMPLAINTS? Velcro wore out pretty quickly, IMHO.

VERDICT? HIGHLY recommended (at right price) and recommended regardless at MSRP.

FirstGear HT Overpants
front.jpg

I need to thank a buddy of mine who happened into the store while I was trying these on over a pair of jeans. He told me to view them as stand-alone pants and not overpants. I took his advice and have found myself dispensing it to others. In extreme summer heat you can vent them by pulling the zipper down a few inches from the top although I suspect this will diminish their protective value quite a bit. These pants come with an insulated liner but I threw mine out long ago. In all but the coldest weather (>50 degrees) I find the pants alone with nothing - well ALMOST nothing (see below) - underneath are perfectly comfortable. The liner is bulky, cannot be worn independently of the overpants and is simply not as warm as wearing a pair of loose-fitting synthetic running 'tights' under the pants.
BSIMP410.jpg

In addition, you can shed the overpants and kick around in the running tights when you are at a destination for a bit.

I really like how the legs zip completely up and down on the sides. This is great for putting them on and taking them off but also for airing them out after a ride.

During monsoon rains in British Columbia, Mexico and, recently, NM, these pants have stayed completely watertight even in the crotch area. Of course, I have the barn door-esque Aeroflow windshield and only get moderate rain on my legs above the knees when I am moving at speed. Still, they have been completely drenched and never leaked a drop.

The baggy, riding breeches style DO tend to make you look like a Colonel in the German Luftwaffe, IMHO, but that's probably why they are comfortable sitting in the saddle.
105082650-M.jpg

COMPLAINTS? The integrated belt is virtually non-adjustable and the snap at the fly does not like to stay closed. I would also like to see a handy thigh pocket like my wife's Joe Rocket pants

VERDICT? Recommended but my guess is there are several brands/models out there that perform as well with similar features for a similar price (e.g., Joe Rocket). I would likely buy the one that fits me the best and is being offered at the best current price.

HJC Sy-Max Modular (Flip-Front) Helmet
SY_MAX_blanc.JPG

At ~$150 I have no REAL complaints about this helmet. It rarely fogs, it is ventilated well enough, the chin bar flips up and locks down easily and it is comfortable (after breaking in) on my largish, egg-shaped melon-head. It has great little pockets in the ear pads to secure the speakers for my intercom. It is getting a bit beat up and long in the tooth so I have been eyeing replacements.

COMPLAINTS? It is a bit noisy, particularly in cross wind conditions but not dramatically more so than other helmets I have worn.

VERDICT? There are plenty out there that grab my attention (like the Caberg with the way-cool built in tinted visor just like a fighter pilot!) but I likely will buy another one exactly like this one.

Other Gear/Apparel:
Crocs

orange_200x200.jpg

I love them. Don't laugh. You will, too, once you try them. They are a bit bulkier than my flip-flops and a buddy of mine warned they would get me beat up when I wore them into a bar but I love them. You can wear them bare foot or with socks. I use them as shower shoes and they can be cleaned by hosing them off. They are light and do not retain odor. Best of all, they have little massage bumps on the bottom that feel GREAT after a long, hot run!

Yes, mine are orange. The color really goes well with the Hi-Viz jacket!!!

Ex-Oficio Wicking Underwear
E11A_pd.jpg

(Sorry, no actual photos of me modeling this apparel. You will thank me for this.)
I backpack quite a bit and usually travel 2-up on the m/c. Consequently, I have learned to travel light. This means I usually bring 2 pairs of basics like shorts, T-shirts, socks and underwear. I ALWAYS bring synthetic fabrics.

Synthetics wick moisture to keep you cooler when it is hot and warmer when it is cold. They don't wrinkle when squashed in a bag and tend to resist dirt better than natural fabrics. When traveling I wash the previous day's clothes while wearing the other set. Synthetic fabrics are perfect for this and wicking underwear is a prime example.

They pack down to nothing, wick moisture to prevented dreaded MBS and air dry in a matter of hours after washing them in camp or a hotel sink. They are not cheap (~$15/pair) but you only need a couple pairs and are really worth the expense.

If it seems I recommend all my gear, well, I guess that is true but is a reflection of the value of the internet motorcycling community and not my own shopping prowess. Everything I use I have bought after careful review and recommendation from folks like you all. For that I am grateful - and dry and warm and safe!

Thanks for watching and I hope someone out there finds this as useful as I found the advice of others, -

FLETCH

Well done! :clap:

Oxtar makes another great boot in their Infinity model. You might find it of interest since it's a sort of hybrid dual-sport/street boot. Water-proof, extra sturdy build and quite comfortable. It's also the twin of BMW's Savanna boot.

scratch said:
Well done! :clap:

Oxtar makes another great boot in their Infinity model. You might find it of interest since it's a sort of hybrid dual-sport/street boot. Water-proof, extra sturdy build and quite comfortable. It's also the twin of BMW's Savanna boot.

I like those quite a bit. I especially like the buckle closures. I just wish the Oxtar model came in this cool 2-tone Mud Brown color like the BMW's. :trust:

16189955-M.jpg

A quick search does not turn them up at any of the usual places. Googling finds some vendros in the UK but none here. Have you seen them for sale? New Enough has an old link to them but they are out of stock. Maybe there is a more current model in the pipeline...

+1 on the Oxtar infinity Boots.
I just rode to Galveston last Saturday in the rain from the Woodlands and the feet were completely dry upon arrival. The main closures are mechanical and the velcro at the top is protected. They are very comfortable as well.

AusFletch said:
A quick search does not turn them up at any of the usual places. Googling finds some vendros in the UK but none here. Have you seen them for sale? New Enough has an old link to them but they are out of stock. Maybe there is a more current model in the pipeline...
I bought mine from New Enough a few months ago when they had them on close-out. Apparently, Oxtar recently switched wholesalers in the U.S. and are just getting their new distribution channel up and running. You might send a note to New Enough and see if they can help you out.

Great review! I especially appreciated the AST jacket review. I'm currently looking for a waterproof, 3 season gear setup to replace my 1 piece Fieldsheer Highland suit and I've been pretty decided (until now) to go with the Aerostich. This article has given me something else to think about.

I love my AST jacket. I looked at a lot of different jackets before I bought it. The Kilimanjaro 4 was a close second, but the hi-viz AST won out. My wife liked mine so much, she ordered her own this week.

I went the the Olympia Ranger 2 pants and I'm very impressed with them as well.

Ranger-pants-extra-boarderxxx.jpg

A comment and question for you Oxtar fans. I picked up some Oxtar Matrix boots a couple of years ago. Loved them except for a really loud squeeky sole. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm hoping the answer is no. That way I'll feel better about purchasing another pair of Oxtar boots when my Sidi's wear out.

Carl

Great reviews. The Olympia AST jacket is going on my future wish list. I also love my Oxtar Matrix boot, completely waterproof. Just one nit, try on a pair before purchase. I got mine from Motorcyclecloseouts for a good price. I got the 42's, size 9 in American. I always wear 9's in boots. But I wish I'd gotten the 43's (size 10). These are just a bit small. But they're so good I still love 'em

:tab The HT Overpants do NOT crash well! Trust me on this ;-) The seems around the knees will come apart easily. The knee armor is weak and moves around a great deal. Whatever material they are made of is indeed waterproof, but it will tear and cut relatively easy. I loved mine until I low sided at about 30mph and slid maybe 15-20 feet on gravel/dirt into the weeds. My right leg/hip took a pretty good beating in that get off. I liked them though because they were quick on/off and they fit over my dirt boots. I don't think I can recommend them for DS riding (unless you have independent protection on under them) and I would NOT have wanted to have been wearing them in our recent get off at 70 mph... Their abrasion protection is pretty much nil.

:tab The Kilimanjaro jacket is a great jacket. However, like the pants, the seams tore when it hit the ground. The seams around the cuffs, elbow armor and shoulder all came completely apart. Fortunately, I was not injured as a result, but the jacket was destroyed. Also, it was not anywhere near as rain proof as I had hoped. When we stopped about midway through the day of riding after a few hundred miles, I was pretty wet in the jacket, everywhere and not just at entry points like the collar or cuffs.

:tab I really like the gear up until I crash tested it ;-) When we go to upgrade the gear after the insurance reimburses us, I will not be buying the Firstgear stuff again.

Tourmeister said:
:tab The HT Overpants do NOT crash well! Trust me on this ;-)

When we go to upgrade the gear after the insurance reimburses us, I will not be buying the Firstgear stuff again.

Thanks for the real world experience. I have wondered about the robustness of the FG HT pants. I can second your observations about the knee padding. I have worn mine for 3 years and still can't get it in the right place or to stay put. My wife's JR pants seem sturdier but, unfortunately, she finds them very uncomfortable due to a high waist. -FLETCH

Well, after reading this and some input from other fellow TWT's, I purchased my own Olympia AST jacket in neon yellow today from MotoLiberty. It shipped today and should arrive tomorrow. Thanks, AusFletch for your insights! You're even a VERY close match to my size/dimensions, which made sizing the jacket easier. I'm looking forward to trying the new jacket out.

Good choice. If you decide to order more Olympia gear, you might look at AS Cycles. I've ordered a few Olympia items from them and was very satisfied. I had to return a pair of gloves (my mistake on sizing) and they handled it very quickly with no hassles. Since every Olympia retailer (at least every one I've found) charges MSRP for the gear, I found it cheaper to order from out of state and skip the sales tax.

Their website is as elegant as a train wreck, but the shipping costs were less than the sales tax at MotoLiberty. I just ordered another AST jacket and Ranger pants for my wife yesterday and they should be here next Tuesday.

I'm really liking the Olympia Bushwhacker gear - it's the only mesh 3/4 length jacket I've been able to find. It's got a full waterproof liner, which might make it a great 3 1/2 season jacket for me.

Anyone know of someone who has crash tested one?

Squeaky said:
I'm really liking the Olympia Bushwhacker gear - it's the only mesh 3/4 length jacket I've been able to find. It's got a full waterproof liner, which might make it a great 3 1/2 season jacket for me.

Anyone know of someone who has crash tested one?

Both hubby and I have crash-tested the Olympia Airglide 2, which has very similar construction. In fact, I bought mine in part because Steve's test results were so good at a 65 mph tire blow out earlier this year that it was hard to ignore. Only drawback is that I've not been successful at completely getting the grass stains out of his jacket, even with oxygenated cleaners. He made it to the side of the road before getting thrown and doesn't remember anything about the crash after that, but from the looks of the helmet (toast) and the jacket, he took a good slide and partial roll. His other little get off slide across the pavement later in the summer that resulted in cracked ribs showed no wear on the jacket and no skin abrasions on his side. However, he did get a mild abrasion on one forearm--not sure how the jacket failed there.

The low speed tump I took in mine was almost a non-event, but I did hit my left shoulder where the armor is. It was mildly sore for a couple of days, but nothing lasting. Knee armor in the matching pants worked great!

black_front.jpg

I crash tested my Joe Rocket ballisitic 6 on a dirt fire road going about 45mph. up in Clayton, OK. I high sided and landed on my right hip, elbow, and back. The jacket did a very good job protecting me, I was just a little sore the next day. The jacket is 3/4 lenth and has some nice side and rear cargo pockets. I had some winter gloves and a skull cap stored in the right pocket which took most of the blow. The only damage to the jacket was a slight seperation of the stitching on the pocket. My wife was able to sew it up and it looks good as new. I give this jacket :thumb: :thumb:

beverly200rider said:
Both hubby and I have crash-tested the Olympia Airglide 2,

It's good to hear it held up in a real crash because I really, really like Olympia's combination of style, features, quality and value.

In fact, Bob's BMW has last year's model of the Air Glide on sale for $99. I paid $175 for mine 3 years ago and thought it was a value at that price. If I didn't already have 4 riding jackets I would buy one for a spare at that price...

http://store.bobsbmw.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2131

wczimmerman said:
Well, after reading this and some input from other fellow TWT's, I purchased my own Olympia AST jacket in neon yellow today from MotoLiberty.

I think you will like it. Don't get discouraged by the stiffness - 9 days and 2,500 miles later and mine is just fine. Also, if it feels a bit snug - try unsipping the expansion joints at the hip and loosening the belt. After a few days of riding I tightened it up again but, at first, it just felt too snug.

Maybe, between the two of us, we can figure out a good way to keep these things clean without fading them prematurely....

Now, TM has got me thinking about buying those Olympia pants to replace my FirstGears. Hmmmm...

-FLETCH

TexBiker said:
Good choice. If you decide to order more Olympia gear, you might look at AS Cycles. I've ordered a few Olympia items from them and was very satisfied. I had to return a pair of gloves (my mistake on sizing) and they handled it very quickly with no hassles. Since every Olympia retailer (at least every one I've found) charges MSRP for the gear, I found it cheaper to order from out of state and skip the sales tax.

Their website is as elegant as a train wreck, but the shipping costs were less than the sales tax at MotoLiberty. I just ordered another AST jacket and Ranger pants for my wife yesterday and they should be here next Tuesday.

Oh my word! Looked on the page with the AST under "people also bought:"

Miniature Reading Glasses

Never be without an emergency pair of reading glasses again!

Ever been out on the road and lost your glasses just when you needed to read a map?

Here is the ultimate portable solution!

Increadibly small and compact lenses come in their own little carry case and can fit in the credit card slot of a wallet or purse.

Corrective from a mild 1.5 diopeter to a strong 3.5 diopeter.

Soft spring tension keeps them comfortably attached to your nose while keeping both hands free.

Price: $6.95

Are we getting OLD, or what???

:doh:

beverly200rider said:
Both hubby and I have crash-tested the Olympia Airglide 2, which has very similar construction. In fact, I bought mine in part because Steve's test results were so good at a 65 mph tire blow out earlier this year that it was hard to ignore. Only drawback is that I've not been successful at completely getting the grass stains out of his jacket, even with oxygenated cleaners. He made it to the side of the road before getting thrown and doesn't remember anything about the crash after that, but from the looks of the helmet (toast) and the jacket, he took a good slide and partial roll. His other little get off slide across the pavement later in the summer that resulted in cracked ribs showed no wear on the jacket and no skin abrasions on his side. However, he did get a mild abrasion on one forearm--not sure how the jacket failed there.

The low speed tump I took in mine was almost a non-event, but I did hit my left shoulder where the armor is. It was mildly sore for a couple of days, but nothing lasting. Knee armor in the matching pants worked great!

I wore the Olympia liner (by itself, not under the jacket) as a rain jacket recently and in that configuration I would say that it qualifies as "water resistant" but not waterproof. I don't know how much better it would have done with keeping the water out if I had had the jacket on too. Felt hotter than I would like, too - but that is probably typical for just about any water resistant liner though, and that wouldn't be a problem in cool/cold weather but in a 70 - 80 degree rain ride, you might not be too comfortable wearing it.

I am looking at a jacket like that, definitely a possibility. Big plus one on the Oxtar Matrix boots. Totally waterproof and comfortable after around 5k miles. Still in really good shape and the light tread on the sole is holding up much better than expected. I would probably go for the ADV-style Matrix/TCX next time. The Combat Touring boots are really nice, if I had a few extra bucks at the time. I have seen those things looking great after way too many miles.

Back