• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

txox4

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Ledwell
Not sure if any of you has ever considered geocaching or is even familiar with it but it's an excellent supplement to adventure motorcycling. For anyone who is interested in a "geocaching 101" perspective, you can check it out on the OutdoorX4 Magazine website here:

https://outdoorx4.com/stories/geocaching-101/

I have hid some thing in a way out of the way place, but I was doing it to keep it from being found!

Over the last decade Snoopster, Skid, Squeaky, and I have logged over 130 Geocaches. In fact, last weekend Snoopster and I found 4.

We use to have to look up the caches along our route and print the pages before leaving to go Geocaching. We would print the page and carry a book with 40 or 50 caches in it. Then we had the hand held GPS. It was a royal pain. Snoopster Recently downloaded the app which is way easier. You hit the "Cache's near me " button and follow the arrow. You can geocache anytime you want and on the spur of the moment. Had the app been around longer we would be in the 1000s I am sure.

It's a great way to get off the bike, stretch your legs, and explore nature.

I've come across a few when hiking around places. I'll typically check it out, write something in the notebook if one's there and then leave something behind. I've left a few 9mm rounds here and there because I didn't have anything else to leave. Ha.

It's a lot of fun especially when the caches are in remote areas that require you to either hike, bike, moto, or 4x4 to get to. Good stuff!

It's a lot of fun especially when the caches are in remote areas that require you to either hike, bike, moto, or 4x4 to get to. Good stuff!

We found one while camping for Ron's fish fry in Smithville that said "Bring a boat or be a really good swimmer" LOL We passed.

TravelDiva and I tried to start a thing here for those interested to hide caches that could only be placed and found while on a bike a year or so ago but it never got much traction and died. :-?

My wife and I have been geocaching since 2007. We have found over 3200 in 11 states. We have cached while riding our motorcycles, driving the car or truck. We recently completed a geocaching challenge where we had to find cache in all 254 counties in Texas. We find caches all along our route when we travel. Our favorite caches are hidden in cemeteries, and we especially like puzzle caches. Puzzle cache requires you figure out the coordinates by solving a puzzle.

Marty

Last edited:
TravelDiva and I tried to start a thing here for those interested to hide caches that could only be placed and found while on a bike a year or so ago but it never got much traction and died. :-?

I remember that.
Still think we need our own DB for that as a record that members can easily access as opposed to going to geocaching.com and having to look up twt memebers listed by some nickname that may not be the same.

There was some talk about getting our own TWT bugs to use.

Here's one:

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

It's in Big Bend Ranch State Park.

I have hid some thing in a way out of the way place, but I was doing it to keep it from being found!

Same here . . . well, similar . . . I have hid things, accidentally, and never found them again. I'm really, really good at that! :lol2:

I remember that.
Still think we need our own DB for that as a record that members can easily access as opposed to going to geocaching.com and having to look up twt memebers listed by some nickname that may not be the same.

There was some talk about getting our own TWT bugs to use.

Yeah ... I remember that, too, and thought it was a neat idea at the time but just, y'know, blaaahhh'd out (as in, forgot about it).

Let's do it again; Lawd knows I have plenty of GPS's! :trust:

Edit: OK if I hide some stuff out here in Calimafornia? Arimazona? NooMessico? Ol' Messico?

Last edited:
Yeah ... I remember that, too, and thought it was a neat idea at the time but just, y'know, blaaahhh'd out (as in, forgot about it).

Let's do it again; Lawd knows I have plenty of GPS's! :trust:

Edit: OK if I hide some stuff out here in Calimafornia? Arimazona? NooMessico? Ol' Messico?

To me it seems like everyone want to ride and ride...
Like it is more fun to be on a bike, than be walking around looking for a cache.

My problem is leaving the bike all by itself.
A few of state parks I can park at the entry office and walk.
but been quite a few where I would be 1/2 from the bike to the cache or at least further than I feel comfortable about.
meaning bike is packed for traveling and just too much attraction to it.

Last edited:
Back