• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

THE TWTex XR400 Thread.

Carb cleaned and reconnected, still no go. Best I get is a super loud pop followed by some smoke from the exhaust.

Carb cleaned and reconnected, still no go. Best I get is a super loud pop followed by some smoke from the exhaust.

That sounds like symptom of a valve slightly open, check your manual compression lever/cable tension and adjustment for smooth operation. You may have an exhaust valve hanging open.

When you removed the pilot jet, Could you see daylight through it?
You said it ran for a few seconds then pops on subsequent attempts to start it - so we can assume spark.
So if you got a fresh plug, fresh gas, clean carb. It should start.

Some will cringe here but try a shot of starter fluid into back of carb. (Probably best to remove air filter cause if it pops back - as in tight or open intake valve - it may catch filter on fire with fluid) so be ready for that!!

Otherwise you may need to dig deeper and check compression, check valve adjustment.

Fuel, compression, spark - it should start!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Took the carb off, re cleaned it to be sure, got ethanol free gas, tried starter fluid in the back, still nothing more than a ringing ear from the bang I get about every 3 tries. Compression lever and cable are operating smoothly.

Only thing I haven't really toyed with is the idle screw on the carb. Would that be giving me any trouble? It's got the TM36 pumper carb on it, anyone have a guess as to how many turns out that should be?

When I bought my current XR4 it had been sitting for at least five-seven years. I could not keep it running for more than a few seconds even after multiple carb cleanings. Each time after cleaning it started perfectly then sputtered and died with any opening of the throttle. Finally my simple brain realized I was sucking something into the carb from the tank. Careful inspection revealed some flaky, white stuff in the tank. Cleaned it several times with a pressure hose and installed an inline filter. The petcock had deteriorated into almost nothing. Bingo!!! Never any ethanol since. Since '07 it has had less than 100 miles on it and still starts and runs perfectly with never more than three kicks.

Last edited:
Sold my personal XR4 and selling off some stuff from it. Got a Mmoto "Whole Welded" pannier rack made for soft luggage Im selling. Was mocked up but never installed or used. Here is a pic of it from the site and it lists for $175 + $69 shipping. Ill take $140 for it. Got brand new unused Givi soft waterproof saddlebags and tail pack that retails for $199 + $99, that Ill sell as a set for $200 total. Located in E. Ft Worth. You can either pm me here or for faster response txt me at 469-432-eight 918

Attachments

• xr400 pannier rack 1.jpg
    xr400 pannier rack 1.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 416
  • xr400 pannier rack 2.jpg
    xr400 pannier rack 2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 357
Update: RUNS AGAIN!

Finally sucked it up and took it to a buddy, who noticed that I had disconnected the stator among other things when I took the carb off to clean it. Back to a 2nd kick bike.

Update: RUNS AGAIN!

Finally sucked it up and took it to a buddy, who noticed that I had disconnected the stator among other things when I took the carb off to clean it. Back to a 2nd kick bike.

Your wife was right! Sorry, that one just jumped out before I could stop it. ;-)

Breaks my heart to do this, but the injury to my foot has turned out to still be worse than I thought. I can't kick the XR over reliably without an occasional stab of really severe pain. Rather than try to track down and install an e-start, I'm just cutting my losses and selling it.

It's Philip's old bike. He did all the work (other than a recent carb cleaning by yours truly) and it's great. Just needs someone who is capable of kicking it, and doing so more regularly than me. Between the kid and my foot, I'm out of luck.

Breaks my heart to do this, but the injury to my foot has turned out to still be worse than I thought. I can't kick the XR over reliably without an occasional stab of really severe pain. Rather than try to track down and install an e-start, I'm just cutting my losses and selling it.

It's Philip's old bike. He did all the work (other than a recent carb cleaning by yours truly) and it's great. Just needs someone who is capable of kicking it, and doing so more regularly than me. Between the kid and my foot, I'm out of luck.

I'd buy squeaky in a heartbeat if I didn't have a baby due in 3 weeks, and was starting a home inspection business on the side.

I'm interested.

Making my introduction. Just picked this one up a few weeks ago. Previous owner took great care of it. I need to adjust the sag on the shock since I'm about 25 pounds lighter than the last owner. Once I get more comfortable on the bike and familiar with the range I'll take it out for some of the TWTEX group rides.

Qtz9NZl.jpg

It's a 96 XR400R, ignore the decals on the plastics.

Last edited:
Making my introduction. Just picked this one up a few weeks ago. Previous owner took great care of it. I need to adjust the sag on the shock since I'm about 25 pounds lighter than the last owner. Once I get more comfortable on the bike and familiar with the range I'll take it out for some of the TWTEX group rides.

Qtz9NZl.jpg

If you're not married to the a-loop seat, tank, and shrouds, and want enough capacity to actually do some DS rides, that gear has a pretty high Street value on eBay.... Like $400+ to the right guy.

If you're not married to the a-loop seat, tank, and shrouds, and want enough capacity to actually do some DS rides, that gear has a pretty high Street value on eBay.... Like $400+ to the right guy.

Good to know TB. I have the original seat and tank as well. The ALoop seat seems nice but on it I sit much higher than expected. I cannot sit flat footed. It seems like in technical terrain I would want to sit lower in the bike, but I'm not sure. I was expecting a lower seat height for some reason. Perhaps changing the rear shock will get me there.

Right now I'm just glad that I found a nice XR400. I have a few plans for modifications down the line. Mostly cockpit related, but I'm reading into other engine mods.

I’m not a big fan of the A-Loop kits (mostly because of the fuel range) but for those that want to make a moto-x-er out of an XR I guess it has value.
But that Ohlins shock is nice! It probably has some other nice upgrades underneath too. PO obviously invested some love on her!

Nice bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you are a true racer you are better off with the stock engine IMO. First thing I would suggest is fresh grease everywhere there is a bearing. Everywhere!

Last edited:

Qtz9NZl.jpg

That is one SWEET XR there! Makes me miss mine... On engine mods Id personally stay stock bore and maybe a cam. Honestly when I had mine, the best mod I ever did was an E-start and a pumper carb... No kicking unless battery was dead, and after a spill I didnt ever have to deal with a flooded engine making it hard to kick plus the pumper carb was SOOO much nicer than the old school stocker with no accelerator pump...

Also sent a reply PM

Last edited:
I finally finished reading through this whole thread. After saving all the links, attached files and important text I have enough material to print my own TWTEX Thrill-Billy XR400 manual.

thrill-billy85, the XR you restored was a work of art. The amount of love you put into each aspect of your work was a pleasure to observe. This thread read like a love story, ending with lovers parting ways but still a happy ending. Life goes on. It's not the destination it's the journey. Good stuff! :clap:

That is one SWEET XR there! Makes me miss mine... On engine mods Id personally stay stock bore and maybe a cam. Honestly when I had mine, the best mod I ever did was an E-start and a pumper carb... No kicking unless battery was dead, and after a spill I didnt ever have to deal with a flooded engine making it hard to kick plus the pumper carb was SOOO much nicer than the old school stocker with no accelerator pump...

Also sent a reply PM

Thanks Monkey Wrench. My first line item is getting the title transferred and putting plates on this bike. I have the original title, the PO did not sign it or list any price. I'm hoping I can catch a break on presumptive value tax.

I want to clean up the electrical wiring and look into installing a Trail Tech Vapor dash. Add a key in line with the kill switch to ease my nerves a bit while its parked. Pumper carb and Gordon Mods seem highly recommended, I need to read more about them. The list goes on thanks to all the info in the thread.

Back