• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Clearwater "Krista" LED Lights Review

R

Red Brown

For robust, long-lasting accessory lights, LED based lights are getting good reviews here.

CW_BannerTop_Blk.jpg

I just got around to installing Erica's on GSAdv. Had them on the shelf since October Last year. Yes I have been lazy.

OH MY GOODNESS..... Speechless...

I used to run Hella FFs/HID's and the factory aux lights, have for nearly 8 years. But oh my goodness... I have seen nothing like this before.

WOW, almost $900..... I like farkles, but just can not do $$ set like that

Ok, some context.

This was my set up 2006...

HID Hella's, HID low beam, HID high beam, regular bulbs in the factory aux lights.

i-nKh4c2p.jpg

This was not bad and has last a long time. I lost a ballast recently and I finally decided to put the Erica's on my 2006, because i have not ended up buying my new GSA yet... (I miss LSBMW.... )

So tonight I put these on, took me longer to de-wire my old HID's than it did to install the Clearwaters. The wiring kit and instructions were top notch.

The new lights, have replaced the old lights.

i-PwtQ2mJ-L.jpg

i-kPRQtD8-L.jpg

Comes with a "volume" knob to dial up or down the intensity of the lights when using the low beam.
i-8mHvhVX-L.jpg

No lights on at all....

i-GtjHgFJ-L.jpg

Low beam.....

i-6JTZshv-L.jpg

High beam.....

i-vvXwkcm-L.jpg

The Pictures do NOT show just how clean & clear these lights are....

WOW, almost $900..... I like farkles, but just can not do $$ set like that

Wowzer, those are expen$ive!

This is my indulgence.

Some people wear watches that cost more.

I also was fortunate enough to score them at a price that was a lot more palatable than what is shown on their web page right now......

If these are what Woodbutcher has, I've seen how bright they are as well as the quality of the light projected. Very nice!

:tab If you ride much at night, good lighting is just like good riding gear, usually worth the money if you can afford it and just as likely to save you some serious pain ;-) Given the price of the GSs, I think GS owners have been getting ripped off in the lighting department for years. Even my old KLR had a better headlight than either my 1150 GS or my 1200 GS. Really, there is no excuse for such lame lights on such a high end bike.

Cycle Gear has a LED H4 replacement intro price of around 60 something, it was in the last catalog. I like turning the night into day, I don't see as well as I use to.

Sent from my iPhone, that's sort of wonky as it thinks it can spell Texan better than I !

Pricey! :eek2:

No more night riding that I do, I'm satisfied with the 55W fog and driving light setup I have. My main purpose of extra lighting is to be seen. After seeing a study the Railroad Commission did on locomotive lighting, the triangle pattern (high mounted headlight, two lower ditch lights) was the most visible. I mounted amber fog lights on the engine guards which are on with the lows and and switch clear driving lights on the beak with highs. I think I have around $50 in the whole setup although the lights came from Tulsa Enterprises and are no longer available.

Img_1812_800.jpg

Cycle Gear has a LED H4 replacement intro price of around 60 something, it was in the last catalog. I like turning the night into day, I don't see as well as I use to.

Sent from my iPhone, that's sort of wonky as it thinks it can spell Texan better than I !

I have tried three different H4 LED drop ins.. All have come back out. LED and HID lighting needs specific reflectors and lens to live up to the lighting reputation they have earned.

If a lot of blinding white light in all directions, no cut off and no distance is what you need the current crop of LED H4 drops ins may work for you.
I just gave a friend my last LED H4 for his 1973 RD350. It works for him,, he only had 40 watts available (this one drew 37) he is only riding at in town surface street speed, and rarely at night. So was a perfect fit

Please report back if you find a H4 LED bulb that works as good as a H4 80/130 Hella bulb.. for distance and amount of usable light.

Me I decided to do a HID projector MOD on my main street bike and could not be happier.
Still want a set or Kristas though.... that has not changed..lol:giveup:

Back